Author Topic: Tyres for Citycom  (Read 3449 times)

roblengyel

• View Profile
Tyres for Citycom
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:53:23 PM »
I changed my MAXXIS tyres for some Michelin City grips. The MAXXIS lasted 7500 kilometres and were causing the front wheel to vibrate when I took my hands of the steering arms.

I immediately noticed the difference. While I never had a problem with the Maxxis's, the City grips appear to give more precise steering and a more direct ride, its like I have more control and the scoot shits from side to side around twisties more quickly. 

I highly recommend the Michelin City grips. Male sure you break new tyres in carefully, even though mine had been scrubbed by the dealer they still recommended I take it easily for the first 200 kilometres.

phipsd

• View Profile
Re: Tyres for Citycom
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:03 PM »
My Maxxis lasted 14000 km on the rear and still would have been good except I picked up a big nail. At 30,000 km I still have the City Grip on the rear and the OE Maxxis on the front. It works well with the Michelin on the rear. Due to the design there is no cupping with that front tire and it steers well; wet or dry. The only thing i'm a fanatic about is tire pressure. Other bias-ply 400 lb bikes I have owned over the years worked well with 28 front, 32 rear or 30 front 34 rear loaded and so does the SYM.

Tabby

• View Profile
    • Negative Image Scooter Club
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »
I put city  grips on mine last year. So far so good the Maxis lasted about 11,000 miles. I'll be interested to compare them.
2009 Citycom 300i, 1986 Goldwing Interstate

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:27:18 AM »
When my dealer put the back tire on my Citycom they told me they put on a Michelin. I assumed it was a City Grip. When I dug out my spare the other day ( at 18000 km it's almost time ) I noticed it's a Michelin Gold Standard. Sure enough when I looked at the scoot a little more closely it has a Gold Standard on the back. It's been a great tire, no complaints at all, but it is my understanding that it has been discontinued.

So now I have a City Grip on the front (for real) to replace the stock Maxxis and what do I think?

It's great. Compared to OE the bike is more stable, the steering is more accurate, the tip in has a nice fluid feel to it and overall the bike feels more like a good small motorcycle than a scooter. I'm impressed.

I did discover however that the City Grip works better with more air in the front, so I'm now running 32 in the front. SYM says 25, but 25 in the front would be much less stable and prone to wobble.

roblengyel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
I think the recommended tyre pressures for bikes are always to low. Consequently I never have a pressure below 34 on my front and back tyres for the Michelin City Grips on my Citycom. You have got to remember your actual body wieght, helmet, jacket and boots etc. all add a substantial amount of wieght to your bike. Also what you have under the seat storage area and in your top box!

My bike seems more stable at 34 pressure in both tyres.

shoupdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »
i have pirelli diablos on mine.

suchascoot

• 2009 Sym Citycom 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »
I now have Metzeler FeelFree tires. Never had a problem with the Maxxis tires, but the Metzelers are an improvement in every way. Cornering, road feel (softer) and they don't groove track.
2008 Sym HD200 (sold - 21,000 miles)
2009 Sym Citycom 300i

shoupdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »
Had my citycom for about 2.5 years and over 21,000 miles.  i had the original tires from when i bought it new from Ootscoot and then a pair of diablo's.  the diablos seem to wear down quickly so i'm wondering if i should try something new.

i have diablo's in the front.  what say ye?

it's my daily driver (surface street commute to work) and freeway riding.  my other bikes get ridden on the weekend canyon rides if that makes any difference.

Thosoneill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
I've covered approximately ten thousand miles on the original Maxxis - still some life in them however I have now purchased a pair of Michelin city grips for 85 sterling which I have still to fit

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
You will be happy with the CityGips. I swear the front one is on backwards but the rotation arrow is pointing in the right direction, it just looks wrong to me (maybe it IS on backwards?!). I always mark the wheel rotation on the wheels with tape arrows on the spokes and Sharpie arrows near the valve stem, so they wont get put on wrong. Make sure they change the valve stems too, just to play it safe.

bikerbill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »
The front tire thread design is always reverse from the back tire. Threw me for a loop too before someone pointed it out. Look at new scooters. I have Michelin City Grips on my HD200 now and love them. I had a Shinko tire on back previously.  I don't recommend it. Hated that tire from day one.
Conway, AR
2009 SYM HD200

It ain't rocket surgery!

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
Thats the worse thing ever, getting new tires installed and realizing they dont meet your expectations! I always thought Shinkos felt vague. What did you dislike about them? I have Vee Rubber tires on the Buddy 125 and even though they are the same size as stock the profile sits very low, throwing the speedo off by 10mph over and causing the center stand to catch on fun turns. I have a idea for custom rims so as soon as I can get extra rims the Vee Rubbers are going and I will install Michelin S1's next for the Buddy, to bring the fun back to riding it! Side note: Mixing brands of tires on 2 wheelers can make the best tires handle crappy, because tire profiles wont match and can offset the turn radius and can cause other handling issues.

shoupdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
While I'm in school, I change my own tires.  Well I have diablos front and back but the fronts are still good.  I may mix them.  I had mixed tires on my TMAX and no issues as far as I could tell.

thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 02:57:55 AM »
I have mixed tyres too but it seems the rear "Kingstone" is actually a copy of the Maxxis but much cheaper (US$25 for a 140/70/16 Kingstone). It runs slightly warmer than the Maxxis, and is equally poor in the wet, but apart from that, it does the job - with a new Maxxis on the front and a new Kingstone on the rear, the turn in is progressive and smooth, it's stable in turns, it turns quite quickly, and with hands off, the front wobble is minimal. No idea about longevity yet - done about 1,000kms so far. The original Maxxis lasted about 18,000kms and although I do a lot of highway riding, the rear wasn't squared off, just slow to turn.

sam042966

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Kenda K761? It's a 6 ply bias tire that  costs less than the Michelins and the Metzelers, and it always seems to get good reviews. So I was wondering if anyone has tried them on the CityCom.