Author Topic: Please help. Is the Citycom 300i to much weight for a guy almost 70 ?  (Read 1708 times)

bountybuddy

• View Profile
Will you Citycom 300i owners please help me out.  My dream bike for most of my life has been a Gold Wing.  Never owned one and never will.  Retired and can't afford it.  I can't stop thinking about the Citycom 300i.  To me it's the Gold Wing scooter.  Everything about it looks good except the weight.  Where I will have to park it I will have to back it up about 35' to ride it every time I take it out.  I know it will not be easy for me.  My wife loves to ride with me and I just refuse to stop riding.  I enjoy it so much.  In your opinion am I foolish to buy a Cithcom 300i?  Ride safe my friends.
May all your paths be bright ones.

phipsd

• View Profile
Re: Please help. Is the Citycom 300i to much weight for a guy almost 70 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:02:11 AM »
The Citycom is a 405 lb bike. Only you can know if that's too much to move around. The SYM RV200 is a similar touring oriented scooter that is about 50 lb lighter with a wheelbase about 2" shorter. The HD200 is lighter and shorter still. It just depends how much room you need and your health. I'm also a senior and I walk at least 10 miles a week and since I started doing that, the leg muscles I have developed make bike moving much easier.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:21:30 AM by phipsd »

blugg1

• View Profile
Good for you, phipsd.  I, too, am an old fart and I'm slowly working up to 10 miles per week.  If I walk 2 miles Mon through Fri I'll have the 10 miles in and I can take the weekend off (do you note just a hint of laziness?).

As for the OP's question, a lot depends on how long your legs are and how tall the seat is.  I have a 30" inseam, my HD 200 weighs 297lbs. and I have no trouble pushing it around.  But if I had to back it out for 35 feet every time I wanted to ride I'd be seriously looking for another parking place.
Bisbee, AZ
2014 Kawasaki 300 Ninja
2012 SYM HD 200

larrylarry75

• Hello....
    • View Profile
Re: Please help. Is the Citycom 300i to much weight for a guy almost 70 ?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
Couple of thoughts for you:

1) Have you considered a turnstile device instead of backing out? http://cyclegenie.com/ Besides the Cycle Genie there are a host of smaller products that enable you to turn your bike around in small quarters and then just ride out.

2) Gold Wings are nice bikes but they're really heavy and not easy for most guys to pick up. If you do some research you'll find that sooner or later nearly everyone drops them at parking lot speeds. This is due mainly to the fact they're top heavy and once they decide to lay down it's difficult to stop them. Experience speaking here...when mine was teetering for the 4th time I decided to sell it before it was too late. I replaced it with a smaller bike that's lighter and easier for me to handle and so far so good. 

Considering what the Citicom 300i weighs it should be easy enough for your to move around and at the same time fulfill your riding needs just fine provided you don't each weigh 200+ lbs with your gear on. Be sure to check the scooter's GVW ratings and make sure you stay within that, otherwise you'll probably have issues when you're riding double.

One last thing, you might consider riding separate scooters, one for you and one for her. In my opinion that's ideal for a number of reasons. For one thing it can be a lot more fun if you're both on your own rides, plus in an emergency you can double up.

Good luck, hope you find your ideal scooter...

LL75