Author Topic: SC Wolf  (Read 11989 times)

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
SC Wolf
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
Figured I should start a thread where I can ask Q's and/or get some help with planning the 600 mile trip I'll be making on a Wolf, which I have not yet seen/ridden...

My first question for you veteran Wolf owner/riders out there: What tools have you found to be indispensable in maintaining/repairing your Wolf, especially when out on a long ride? Are the nuts/bolts sized metric or imperial? What sizes of wrenches/sockets would you recommend I bring in order to handle the 2 or 3 most common sized bolts/nuts? Any 'special' tools needed, like deep sockets, star tipped tools, or extra-length adapters? The tires are tubed, correct? What size tube should I carry for a spare? What is the oil capacity of the engine, and do you need a small funnel to add oil without spilling it everywhere? Have you experienced much/any chain stretch?

Things like the above or other tips/wisdom, if you'd care to share, I would much appreciate. :)

Obviously I won't be rebuilding an engine or anything too involved like that, but I do want to be as ready for common/maintenance issues as I can be. The bike is barely past break-in. I downloaded the Owners Manual, but it is not the most specific guide to the mechanicals or systems on the bike...

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:48:59 AM by CapnK »
Lovin' my Wolf & Riding in G-town, SC.

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: The roadtrip home - planning and prep
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »
If you were riding an Enfield, I'd suggest taking along more than the bike's tool kit.  The Wolf isn't unreliable and 600 miles is not a long ride.  Take a credit card and cell phone in case you get a flat.
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »
600 mi - sounds like a fun trip!  Suggest changing the oil before you go - should be good for 1000 mi.
Bring 17mm, 10mm, 14mm sockets, adjustable wrench, Phillips and flat screwdriver. 
Tubes are 2.75 X 18 and 3X 17. Maybe a small air pump?
Most of my Wolf Pack riders have their bikes serviced every 1000 mi, with nothin done in between ..
The vintage seat that Cam sells is much more comfy for long rides
I also added the old school handlebar for a more upright position (those clip-ons were hard on my wrist.
Also added the 17 tooth front sprocket for a better gear ratio - cruise smoothly @ 60+
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
.... Tubes are 2.75 X 18 and 3X 17. Maybe a small air pump?...

If you're going to take that stuff, better include your favorite tire irons, too.

In all my years of motorcycling and tours across states, the only things that have needed attention were a couple of loose handlebar switch-housing screws, chain lube every 500 miles, and chain adjustments as needed.  SYM recommends an oil change every 1800 miles.  High revs will blow oil out, so if you're riding fast check the dipstick each time you gas up.  If a bike is tight and prepped when you leave, there isn't much that will change when rolling down a paved road.  Tires are the unknown, nails happen.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

pacnw - I'm certainly hoping that 600 miles will be neither too long, nor trouble-prone! That said, with this bike as new as it is, and that probably has only been ridden for short trips in an urban environment, I want to be able to catch any bolts which might loosen along the way from the longer & probably hotter hours I will be running it, or from general road conditions. Having just read the "Underboning the World" thread on ADVRider, it struck me that Colin basically went over their Symbas every day at the start of the trip (when they were, like this Wolf, basically just past break-in) and found things working loose, albeit usually a tiny bit. That their bikes ran mostly trouble-free for the rest of the 30K miles they covered I would in part attribute to his mindset in this regard, so I plan to emulate it. :) Regarding tire irons: I am guessing that these are basically larger, metal versions of what I have used for years on bicycles to change tires? Thanks for the tip, I will include them.

Also, I am a huge proponent of "KISS" in pretty much everything - one of the websites I run is dedicated to that in regards to sailing, & even more specifically, on implementing KISS principles in order to be able to sail "smaller" vessels for long distances. It's funny - those boats are to their larger, "glitzier" cousins in the glossy magazines what our Wolfs are to the Beemers and other big bikes you "have to have" to "keep up with traffic" or "go cross country" - ours are the smaller, yet just as capable version, and though some of the folks with bigger, fancier bike$ may smirk, people like the Underbones or Nathan the Postman etc have proven that there is no reason for them to do so. :)

ootscoot - Thanks for the tool sizes and recommendations. Any idea what the oil capacity is? I may need to bring my own sealable container and then transport the used oil to a suitable drop-off place... After reading the threads here, I think the 17T sprocket might be a "go", but will have to reserve judgment on the bars until I try the OEM version (although I suspect that like many of you I might like a more upright position). :) I don't think I will be able to bring and switch a retro seat with me for this trip, so I might pick up an Airhawk cushion for the time being - they seem to get rave reviews.

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »
.... their Symbas.... found things working loose, albeit usually a tiny bit.

Just about everyone in this forum who owns a Wolf has put 600 miles on it.  Survey the mob and see what came loose or gave trouble on their bike.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
One quart I use 10 w40 Motorcycle oil - compatible with wet clutch - Lucas or Castrol. You can bring a quart and funnel, but should be no need to change it even on a long hot ride...
Highly recommend 17 tooth front sprocket - lower rpm's = longer engine life and smoother ride.
Never had about or nut loosen as opposed to the Symba
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:48:00 PM by ootscoot »

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »
Thanks ya'll for the tips and info! I will be using your input, for sure - but, as it turns out, not on a road trip bringing the Wolf home! The Wolf still is coming here though...

Someone mentioned uShip.com as a cheap delivery method the other day at the Modern Buddy forums, so on a lark I went and put my info on their website. I didn't know what to expect, but withing a day received an offer by a shipper there (with a great reputation) to bring the Wolf to me, for less than $100 more than just the train ticket would cost to get me to Philly. Wow!

Factor in that on the way there and back I would be buying meals and accommodations *and* taking 3 or maybe 4 days off of work, and it just makes sense to have the Wolf brought here instead of going to get it. Even though I like the idea of riding it home.

On the plus plus side, 1) I can have it delivered to me quicker than I would be able to go get it & so be riding sooner, and 2) I can use the saved money to buy some bike bling, like a 17t sprocket or a retro seat... :D

Sophie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
Sorry I'm joining the party so late but glad you've found a solution. What advice I can offer is to use Shell Rotella full synthetic for oil (comes in 5w-40 only, but that's fine for a Wolf). It's one of the few "Real" synthetic oils (Redline, Amsoil and Mobil 1 are a few others) but it's about half the price, because it's really for use in large diesel engines. What's more important is to change the oil every thousand miles like  others have mentioned, since they have no oil filter.  You need to get the debris out of the engine and the only way to do that is change the oil.

Good luck and welcome to the family,
Soph

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
Re: New owner (was: roadtrip home)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Sophie!

It should be only a few days now. the Wolf has been paid for, arrangements all made with the sellers, and now I am only waiting on bids from shippers in order to determine the delivery date. Hopefully I will be riding within 7-10 days! WOOT!!!  8) 8) 8)

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
She's to be picked up tomorrow in Philly by the transporter, arriving here Sunday between noon and 4. 8) The anticipation is near unbearable. :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:40:23 PM by CapnK »

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
At last...

8) ;D 8) ;D 8)

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
The fleet is lookin good!

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »
After finally riding the Wolf around today, I think I can say that the only two things the 'fleet mobiles' have in common are Taiwanese manufacture, and 150 cc's. :D Very different rides, enough that it is hard to have a preference for one over the other, because both are very fun in their own way. :) The Wolf is ***WAY*** better suited for use on the open road, though, I can tell that already. Love how it rides.

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 01:14:56 AM »
Just finished taking all of the California off of her. Wow. I was going to wait a week or two before wrenching any, but the process looked easy enough (and was), and with this lame battery the chances of needing to kick start are high, so I figure I'd go ahead and make starting the bike easier - for the starter *and* me. :)

I've had the battery on the maintainer/charger since 10 or even earlier (5+ hours so far), going to let it sit there all night and see how she does tomorrow. I'd rather not buy a new battery right now - Baby needs some bling. ;)