Author Topic: Considering buying a Symba  (Read 1705 times)

boognish

• View Profile
Considering buying a Symba
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
Hi fellas,

I've never owned a scooter, but am in the market for one for short commutes and going around town. I really like the look of the Symba, the price seems right, and it seems adequately powered to safely traverse traffic.

I'm curious what advice you folks have for a scooter novice like myself considering the Symba.

Thanks in advance!

Side-note: I went to school in Santa Barbara and a good friend of mine bought a Fly scooter from Ooty in 2009. He had nothing but good things to say about him.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
Re: Considering buying a Symba
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the side note - I discontinued the Flyscooters in 2009, too many problems with them - unlike the Symba ! The Symba is a well built bike and a pleasure to ride
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

iamstuffed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
I gave my Symba to my fiance to learn how to ride a bike.

She's dropped it like 4 times and there are barely any scratches on it. The mirror sides have some scratches and there are minor scrapes on the sides of the fairing, but you can't even tell unless you examine it closely. So, it's very noob friendly. Some people can't figure out shifting in general, so keep that in mind.

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
Hi,
I got a SYMBA in September of 2010, on the advice of a motorbiking friend.  I was considering an electric scooter, but had no place to charge the battery (parking garage).  His biggest 'plus' was the fact that SYMBA would keep-up with traffic, in the city.

I took a motorcycle training course at a local community college, where they supplied the motorbikes (those clutches are a nuisance!), which was a great intro to basic training/safety issues, and we could qualify for the next level of our motorcycle license on the last day of the course.

I LOVE my SYMBA.  It has been virtually trouble-free.  My motorbiking friend/advisor just shakes his head whenever I'm visiting - since SYMBA starts on the first try, every time.  [He says, "I've NEVER had a motorbike that starts like yours!"  But, then, he's a big fan of the old British bikes, which are notorious for their idiosyncracies, or so I gather...]

Yes, there is negligible storage space on SYMBA, but I got the small front basket, and removed the stock rear rack to install the longer rear rack:  I've attached a rectangular rattan basket to the longer rack, so I can cargo-bungee a couple of good-sized shopping bags of stuff...groceries, books, whatever.

It's a great little bike.  I've yet to 'drop' SYMBA (came close last weekend), but did so during the motorcycle course - on their bikes.  One down-side, is that it is quite light-weight...mine gets parked between 2 buildings @ work - and it has blown-over FOUR TIMES (I've started to tie it to a light-post, when it's windy), and it made no difference whether it was on the stand, or the side-stand.  The first time, the low-beam filament of the headlight was broken (had to replace the headlight); the right-side foot-peg gets bent (needing to be bent-back with brute force and a length of pipe); the end of the RH throttle-grip is getting scuffed, and I'll be ordering a replacement from Cam Purvis in the near future...

Enjoy!
LisaRae

GinSnob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
I'd agree with the above posters:
1) Take a motorcycle safety course.  It's an awesome way to learn good habits right off the bat and sometimes provides insurance discounts.  You'll probably need your temps (just a written test in my state).  If you can take the class through your state you might even get your full license during the class.  Regardless of the bike, you'll be well served by this.  It's not unlikely you'll go down during the class, which is probably A Good Thing (an on their bike!).  I've taken the class twice, the second time with my wife and both times came away riding much better at the end of it.
2) I love my Symba and, especially if you want to learn to do your own maintenance (because it's so easy to get to everything) this is a great bike to do that.  It's also crazy dependable.  That being said, I've owned several other scooters and all they were mostly automatic bikes with more storage.  Those bikes were flat out more convenient (and nearly as dependable).  It's not a huge difference, but it's there.
3) If you go the 'other scooter' route I am actually somewhat ok with the crappy Chinese scooters like the Fly, etc.  I mean, know what you're getting: it's cheap and you'll have to junk the thing all too quickly (hard to get parts, find someone to fix it, ect.), but you'll probably have it on the ground during your learning months/years so maybe that's ok.  Although, really, just get a good bike. :)

Symba has a lot going for it and I think it'd be a great first bike.  If you like the looks, are ok with shifting and can handle light storage, then join the rest of us who love ours! ;D

Underboning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
While the Symba may lack the underseat storage of conventional scooters, it's nothing that cant be sorted with a little creativity.   ;D  We added about 80 liters of waterproof storage to ours. 

You can also just clip a couple of extra large carabiner clips to your handle bars and hang a daypack from them (so it hangs in the stepthrough area).

boognish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 07:49:49 AM »
Four years later, finally made it happen! Bought a 2015 with 100 miles on it, starts no problem. Wahoo!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:51:24 AM by boognish »

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
Yay!

Hope you LOVE your SYMBA!

Congrats,
LisaRae

HelloPitty

• View Profile