Author Topic: Fuel backing up into airbox  (Read 1567 times)

kk15501

• View Profile
Fuel backing up into airbox
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »
Hey all, a little assistance please. Have been getting this HD125 ready for the spring and after running a few ounces of seafoam in the gas having carb issues. When trying to start, will start for a few moments and then die, then gas will gush back into the airbox, also noticed gas in the clear tube that has a stopper in it from I believe the vacuum line. Have cleaned out the carb, fuel bowl, floats and needle valve. Curious if I have routed a vacum line to the wrong place. Anyone have a hose diagram for this carb and any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks, Karl

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
Re: Fuel backing up into airbox
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
First make sure that the vent tube from the gas tank filler neck is disconnected. Check crankcase oil for gas smell - if so change the oil.
Pull fuel line from carb - gas comes out and won't stop? - vacuum petcock may be stuck open, leading to fuel in air box.
I keep meaning to take some pic - too busy lately, but will do as soon as I can
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

kk15501

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »
Finally got to it. Disconnected overflow tube and pulled off fuel line from carb and no flow. Checked the oil and the crankcase is filled with gas. Which part is clogged or bad?

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:37:26 AM »
If your crankcase is full of fuel, it is from the overflow/vent tube coming from the filler neck on top of tank - disconnect that and should be good.
That clear tube is the crankcase vent tube - leave that connected but drained. It does not have any vacuum lines, just collects fumes from crankcase.
Change the oil!
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

kk15501

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Thanks ootscoot. Now I have to find a starter before I can try.