Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 5672 times)

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 03:56:28 AM »
In my conversations with SYM there has never been a bad thermostat. We have never run into this issue out of 200 HDs.
The level of coolant in the radiator - not the reservoir is what should be checked - engine running & warm.
That reservoir does vibrate - normal.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
When I tore into it the reservoir was at the lower level but the radiator was full. I went ahead and drained it, made sure the air was out of the system and refilled. Rode it around with the plastic off for about 5 miles and it never got above a 1/4. Topped the radiator off and put the plastic back on. Rode down to Walmart to pick up a few things, 2-3 miles one way, and on the way back noticed it was above 1/4. Stopped at the house dropped off the grocery bag and took off again. Rode another 3-4 miles and the temp. guage made it up to 3/4 and the fan kicked on. It is about 84 degrees here in Houston today but I still think something has to be wrong. I'm getting past the frustrated stage. Guess the thermostat is next. Does anyone have any idea what the heat range is on the stock thermostats? Maybe I can find a crossover one with a cooler range.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
I believe the stock temp for the thermostat is 180f - on the HD 200 - for the HD 125, it may be different, and if you recently had it replaced, it could be for the 200?

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
Appreciate you still answering all my questions. Guess I'll try to pull it out next week and see what is in there. Thing is most of my riding is usually close to the house and it doesn't get hot but the reason I bought it was to travel further than my 50cc Zuma. Here in Houston you need something a little faster than a 50cc or you'll end up a hood ornament.

gitsum

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Some more ideas that might help?

is the cooling fan cyclng on when it is supposed to?
temperature gauge itself?
sending unit?

I can't remember where it is, but there's an electrical connection underneath a rubber cap that connects the sending unit to the gauge.  As I recall you can see it from the side where the water pump is and it is exposed to the elements, take it apart and clean it thoroughly.

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
I have found that my Citycom is sensitive to coolant level. Intermittently the bike would get very hot in gridlock; the fan would come on and it would immediately cool down. Others also seemed to have this problem on Kiwiscoot's old Citycom forum. People were ripping their bikes apart to find the problem.

I bought a small container of premix antifreeze; topped up the overflow  to full and I have not had a problem since. The temps are rock steady under all conditions. The bike had been acting funny temp wise since day one, but not to extreme. Gradually it started to get worse.

The actual amount of coolant I added was small, but it made a huge difference. It turns out there was nothing wrong with the bike, it just needed coolant.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
Thanks phipsd. I haven't rode it much lately, just a few short trips, a few miles which barely got it off the C on the temp. guage. But today I took it on a little longer run and noticed it did climb over to a slight bit over 1/2 way before I made it back. Coolant level is still on the upper mark on the reservoir and I can't get much more fluid in there. If I can figure out where the thermostat is I may just take it out and see what happens just to experiment. That will have to be next week. Wife and I are getting ready to head to Austin Texas for the Moto GP race.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Something is wrong with that bike.
My HD 200 never gets off the bottom peg, except when stopped dead in traffic on a hot day. Then it very slow rises to about 1/2, at which point the fan kicks on and it cools right down. It should never go over 1/2.
You may have a high pressure leak in the system. Or a problem with the water pump.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »
The Carter Bros. HDs sat for too long in the warehouse with bad coolant in them. I have had to totaly flush the system twice on many of the HD 125s - they had become so corroded and rusty. 

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
If the cooling system has been flushed and is clean, the level is good and the temperature goes down when the fan cuts in it sound like an issue that riding and time will take care of. It is a brand new engine; mine was hot running the first few hundred miles. I could smell it.

SYM's must be built to close tolerance. Even after 250 miles when things seemed fine, my bike still got hot again on a long run through an under river tunnel. I backed off and things were again fine. By 300 miles the new engine smell was gone for good and things were cool.

Once broken in the problem I had with wide sudden temperature swings was a coolant issue. It only occurred in rush hour gridlock on hot days. That was a coolant level issue, easily solved by adding a small amount to my overflow.

In 14000 miles since the bike has been the most reliable I've had in 44 years of riding.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply phipsd. My dealer supposedly replaced the thermostat but I yanked it out Tuesday and it did not look new. It had some orangish crud on it. I wanted to just leave it out and see if it gets more flow for better cooling but the thermostat has a rubber gasket around the lip and it needs to be in to seal the outlet from leaking. I thought about cutting the 'stat up but in case that doesn't work I can't find another 'stat online to replace it. I re-installed it and more new coolant, got the air out of the system, rode it yesterday and after a 5 mile round trip it was up to 3/4 on the temp. guage when I got home. I've got a little over 200 miles on it now but have never rode it after it starts getting that hot to see if it will actually start cooling back down when the fan kicks on. I may just put a few more miles on it before I take it back to the dealer because I don't trust him. I'll just experiment a little more on longer runs to see what happens. Now that I have gotten use to this SYM I don't even like getting back on the Zuma. I've had many watercooled motorcycles but none of them have ever gotten this hot. I just hope I can get this sorted out.

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 02:56:04 AM »
I've had the exact same thing happen on my V-Strom 1000.At times it can get hot in traffic and as soon as the fan cut in the temp dropped right down. My SYM has done the same thing. The temperature gauge would rise above 3/4 all the way to hot in a short period of time and as soon as the fan cut in the temperature instantly dropped right down. Personally I question the gauge somewhat. I've overheated enough old cars in my time to know that if an engine really is that hot coolant would be puking out into the overflow,I would be able to smell the coolant and the engines distress would be obvious.  There is no way a few seconds of fantime would cool things off that fast.

What happened to me was I added some coolant to the overflow and I accidentally filled it full. I used some paper towel to soak up some of the extra so that I had some small  airspace at the top of the overflow. I figured that should be sufficient. The end result was that the bike was a little overfull and the interesting thing was that the temp gauge never did anything funny again.

At the very least I would let the fan kick in. When mine kicks in the temperature drop was almost instant at least according to the gauge.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
Well yesterday I rode it about 4-5 miles till it started getting hot, like usual. I decided to just keep riding till the fan kicked on and keep going. When it kicked on I rode it for another couple of miles and it just kept getting hotter, fan did not help any on the cool down, it may have just helped it from pegging the guage only. I had to stop and let it cool back down. I'm beginning to think like scosgt, possibly a water pump problem. ootscoot have you had any come in with water pump problems? impeller slipping? impeller damaged?

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
Nope, never had that problem, but it sounds like a circulation problem, so pump check would be advised.
I recently had a Vespa 300ie in with same issue - turned out the pump impeller was missing!

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »
Well I again drained the fluid and pulled off some tupperware and this time the exhaust to get to the water pump. Pulled the outlet off and the impeller looked fine. Gave it a jiggle and it all appeared intact, no slipping. Cranked it momentarily and it spun just fine. The outlet is already corroding pretty bad where the radiator hose hooks up to it. I bought it as a new bike but I have to realize it's about 4 years old. I officially give up! I'm going to take it back to the dealer. I hate letting them mess with it because I don't trust them but I've run out of options. I really like this little scooter but can't take it very far because of the overheating problems. It heats up on cool days with just plain old riding, not any bumper to bumper type traffic. Thanks everyone for your help and I will let you know the outcome.