Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 5676 times)

ST/SV

• View Profile
New to the Forum
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
Just picked up a new to me 2009 SYM125 HD from a dealer here in Houston, Tx. Saturday. Found your site so I thought I would join up for your knowledge. It is a 2009 model but new with 14 miles. I've rode it 2 times, only a few miles and noticed the temp. guage starting to climb to hot. Had to pull over and let it cool before heading back to the house. Just took it back to the dealer today. Any ideas what it could be? Stuck thermostat or some king of sensor. I was leary about buying a new old bike but I was looking for a deal.  :o 
I have 3 other motorcycles '04 Honda ST 1300, '08 Kawasaki Concours 14, '12 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and another scooter '08 Yamaha Zuma 50.
I wasn't sure how to post a new thread.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:44:50 PM by ST/SV »

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »
Welcome to the SYM forum!
The 2009 HDs have been sitting in a warehouse for more than two years and should really have their coolant changed.
 When the temp gauge goes above 1/2 way, the cooling fan kicks in and brings the temp down - best to just ride it easy rather than to stop. But have your dealer change and flush the coolant
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
Thanks for the info ootscoot. Believe it or not the dealer just left me a message and said it was ready to be picked up, he changed the thermostat and the fluid. When I was riding the day it was overheating it was about 50 degrees and it cooled back down quick but actually didn't even think about checking to see if the fan was working. Just curious, if I would have turned it off and turned the key on would the fan come on? Appreciate the response. Good to know there is a dealer on this Forum.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
Another question to 125 HD owners. I got my scooter back from the dealer and took it for a test ride. At first I thought they may have just taken the thermostat out because it took awhile to even move but once it did it climbed to about 1/4 hot and stayed for awhile then moved to 1/2 and stayed a little less then started creeping up to about 3/4 then back to 1/2 and back to 3/4. I started heading to the house just in case. Did notice the fan kicked on when I got home. This was all during about a 12-14 mile ride thru the neighborhood. My big bikes have temperature guages but seldom have this much variance in temps. It's about 70 degrees during this test ride. I'm wandering how it will handle these 100 degree Houston summer days that are coming. Is this a common trait of the 125 HD?

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:29 PM »
This doesn't sound normal. The HDs are cool running bikes - average running temp stays around 1/4 - it sounds like there is air trapped in the lines - needs burping

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »
I seem to be at your mercy oot, I tried a search of burping and the only response that came up was your post. Can you explain how to burp her or give me a name of someone I can pm.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
I believe there is a video on coolant change on the HD200 topic here. Basically when I change the coolant, I first remove the front board, fire up the bike and let it warm up enought to open the thermostat - usually @ idle for 5 min.
With the bike still running, I carefully open the radiator cap. In your case you may just need to refill the radiator and the reserviour to the lower left.
If the radiator is full, then turn off the bike, and with the seat bucket out, check the two coolant lines - both should be warm - if one is warm and one is cool, then coolant is not circulating, either because air is trapped in there or the thermostat is not opening. You may need to undo the cooler line to release air.
Because you said the fan came on, that indicates that the coolant is circulating enough to be sensed at the radiator, so probably just low...

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
Thanks oot, I'm going to try digging into her. This dealer is rinkydink. I don't think they have a full time mechanic, I think he calls one in when he needs something done. I wish I was closer to you.

skootz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »
ST/SV:
Welcome to the SYM forum and I hope you can get your thermo
issues worked out.
It's a great scooter--(I have put over 56k miles on mine)
Do go easy on the body panel removal--the tabs can break easily.

There is a member here "Firedrake" (Jeff) who has links to the
owners and mechanics manual for the HD 125/200
(the HD 200 is almost the same machine except for CVT etc)
The manual will show how to remove body panels and access
parts.
http://www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/manuals.htm

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
P&P skootz

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the additional info skootz. 56k is amazing. I am retired but have so many projects going now that I'm going to put this off a little while. Will read up on
Firedrakes links before tackling this. So far most of my short rides with it barely move the temp. guage but I do want to travel farther without worrying about the temp. rising. I was looking at a Kymco Super 8 before settling on this one but got the 125HD for a deal, I thought, but never knew they were sitting in a warehouse 2 yrs according to ootscoot. 56k on yours gives me alot of hope for this little scoot.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »
Kymco super 8 are air cooled, built in Kymco's Chinese factory - I get a few in occasionally for service- mostly electrical problems and valve adjustments . They are fun, but HD will last much longer.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
makes me feel even better.  ;D

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
Watched The Fire Drakes video on the coolant flush and fill. Finally got the front plastics off but ended up stripping the same screw that he did in the video, both those screws holding the headlight piece were extremely tight. Ended up using a dremel to grind the head down on opposite sides to get a visegrip on it to loosen it. Cranked it up and let it idle for a few minutes and the thermostat appeared to open and both hoses started getting warm. Tomorrow I will take it out of the garage and pull the small hose off to the thermostat to see if it has any air in the system, don't want a mess in the garage. ootscoot if you see this I have a question, what would happen if I just removed the thermostat, will it run too cool and not perform right. There is a common problem with the Honda ST 1300 thermostats sticking in the open position causing them to run 2 bars or less instead of the normal 3 bars and when that happened on mine the gas mileage dropped from the mid 40 mpg to low 30 mpg. Those engines need to run a certain temperature to run at their best. The HD 125 is nothing like the ST's sophistication so I was wandering if it would run ok without a thermostat.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
Don't know about removing the thermostat - never had one go bad. Is your coolant rusty looking? And how is the radiator level?

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
Coolant in the reservoir looked green but was at the lower level. Seemed like there were spots of antifreeze under the headlight plastic piece. I noticed when I cranked it up with the plastic off, the scooter reservoir vibrates quite a bit. I'm wandering if it is actually vibrating it right out of the rubber fill cap. It was supposedly drained and refilled along with a new thermostat by the dealer but I think I'll just drain it again tomorrow. Did The Fire Drake make a thermostat replacement video also?