Author Topic: Fiddle II 50 tuning  (Read 23375 times)

awb

• View Profile
Fiddle II 50 tuning
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
I've recently bought a SYM Fiddle II 50 and love the looks, the handling, but GOD is it SLOW!!   I got it supposedly not restricted, but cannot get more than 55kph out of it, even downhill in a hurricane.    I've ordered a performance CDI, still waiting.  Outside that is there anything else I can do to get the acceleration up to par? On an incline I can hardly get over 30 kph which is a dangerously low speed where I live.

fiddlefan

• Me and my scoot have an awesome love affair.
    • View Profile
    • (p)sculptures - recycled plastic art
Re: Fiddle II 50 tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »
I've recently bought a SYM Fiddle II 50 and love the looks, the handling, but GOD is it SLOW!!   I got it supposedly not restricted, but cannot get more than 55kph out of it, even downhill in a hurricane.    I've ordered a performance CDI, still waiting.  Outside that is there anything else I can do to get the acceleration up to par? On an incline I can hardly get over 30 kph which is a dangerously low speed where I live.

I know what you mean!  I rode a restricted Fiddle II 50 not too long ago and it was WAY slow also.:(  The first thing I would recommend is for you or someone else to take out the restrictive washer between the variator plates.  This washer keeps the variator from closing all the way, keeping the drive belt from going to the outer limits on the front pulley, which reduces top-end speed.  Below is a short, basic video from YouTube on what needs to be done:

If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, most any reputable scooter shop can do it for you in a matter of minutes. Try this particular derestiction first and see what performance improvements you notice.  From there, there are all sorts of performance enhancements you can make, depending on how much you want to spend to remove the restrictions.  I believe your Fiddle 50 is restricted about 4 different ways directly from the factory, which includes the variator restriction, carborator restriction, exhaust restriction and CDI restriction.

Let us know what you do and the results.

Happy scootin'! ;D
SYMANIAC

tgruenheit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:39:02 AM »
well, I bought one Fiddle II some months ago and got the same problem...awfully slow...had a SYM MIO before and that could go 60 kph only by removing the CDI wirings...

I had the CDI removed and the washer on the Fiddle II, but it still only does like 43 kph...so, I decided to change the weights in the variator, which gave me 5 kph extra...but still...

Does anyone know how the carborator restrictions can be removed?

fiddlefan

• Me and my scoot have an awesome love affair.
    • View Profile
    • (p)sculptures - recycled plastic art
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »
Does anyone know how the carborator restrictions can be removed?

I was told by someone at SYM USA that there is a screw of some sort in the carborator that prevents it from operating to it's full potential.  I don't know if it is a jet screw or some other screw, but I'm pretty sure if you took it to a reputable scooter mechanic, they could figure it out.  Or you can call Carter Bros., ask for Roger and he may can give you some more details on the carborator restriction.  I believe your exhaust is pretty heavily restricted too, so you might check into that sometime.  If you change the exhaust however, some carborator re-jetting will likely need to take place.

Good luck!

Happy scootin'! ;D
SYMANIAC

tgruenheit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:41:58 AM »
thanks mate...

I will look into this...

Challenge is that I am living in Denmark and SYM is not a strong brand here...

I'll try to talk to my dealer, but not sure whether they can help much...

Keep you posted...  :)

tgruenheit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »
I'll checked the exhaustion, but it does not seem to be restricted...there is nothing in it....

However, I managed to break one of the two screws attaching the exhaust to the engine...crap...

It still fits and works nicely with one...but still...

Does anyone know what part of the engine needs to be changed? Where are the two bolts sitting at?

The Fire Drake

• -------The Fire Drake------- SYM HD200
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of The Fire Drake
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:23 AM »
The 50cc Fiddle II is restricted four ways.  The Fiddle 125 is not restricted at all

1) The variator has a washer in it to prevent top "gear"-- remove it
2) The carb has a screw to prevent full throttle. (it will be a stop kind of like the idle adjustment screw)-- remove it.
3) The airbox has baffles to hinder full airflow--remove them
4) Regardless of how easily you can blow through it, the muffler is restricted too--- muffler swap.

Needless to say, you'll have to rejet the carb too when removing these restrictions to get full potential

hope this helps :)-Jeff
www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm

SYM HD200 30mm OKO CVK carb, MRP no-rev limit CDI, Bando hi-perf coil, Emgo 48mm free-flow filter, MRP GY6 Type 2 stainless steel exhaust & muffler, Full LED conversion & markers, ENM tach and 100 watt amp/speakers.
Xingyue XY150T 8 (Tank Racer DS-08)

The Fire Drake

• -------The Fire Drake------- SYM HD200
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of The Fire Drake
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
Almost forgot--SYM sells a Fiddle II (Vogue) performance kit too that will take care of a lot of the slugginess.
www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm

SYM HD200 30mm OKO CVK carb, MRP no-rev limit CDI, Bando hi-perf coil, Emgo 48mm free-flow filter, MRP GY6 Type 2 stainless steel exhaust & muffler, Full LED conversion & markers, ENM tach and 100 watt amp/speakers.
Xingyue XY150T 8 (Tank Racer DS-08)

Shagma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
Can anyone tell me where the carburetor screw restricting full throttle is located? Is it possible to adjust it through the hole in the storage box under the seat or do i have to remove some of the plastic?

I know where the screw for adjusting the idle is located, shouldn't the max throttle restriction screw be part of the same mechanism? To me it seems that there's a metal piece restricting it and not something adjustable.

lavoyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
Look into getting the piston kit  It will go way over 40

Keith58

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »
Hi all. Just bought a Fiddle II for my wife and I last week and we love it ... except for the top end speed going up inclines (about 43 kph).

I mentioned the issue when purchasing the bike and the dealer said we should wait till about 300 kms before doing any adjustments. Does that ring true? I'm itching to apply any and all measures I can to get this baby going faster!

Thanks!

Shagma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:22:46 AM »
That sounds reasonable. You should wait until the engine has been properly run-in (is that what it's called?). Removing restrictions will allow the engine to reach higher RPM which can cause excessive wear when it is new. I removed restrictions on mine after the first service.

Keith58

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »
Thanks Shagma!

I thought it sounded reasonable but always good to have a 2nd opinion. Out of curiosity, how much more power did you get from yours after the adjustments?

Thanks again.

Shagma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:31:15 AM »
On flat road I can get about 65 kph or maybe 70 if i'm lucky. It is still a bit slow in slopes (about 35-45 kph), but at least I can enter the slopes with a higher speed than before, which helps a bit.

Before I removed the restrictions, the scooter was limited to about 50 kph. This really makes a difference here in Norway with the general speed limit in urban areas being 50 kph. At 60 kph i can keep up with traffic which, in my opinion, makes the driving experience safer.

Overall, I would say it was worth it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:34:27 AM by Shagma »

mulikow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
Can anyone tell me where the carburetor screw restricting full throttle is located? Is it possible to adjust it through the hole in the storage box under the seat or do i have to remove some of the plastic?

I know where the screw for adjusting the idle is located, shouldn't the max throttle restriction screw be part of the same mechanism? To me it seems that there's a metal piece restricting it and not something adjustable.

Noticed the same reply to this answer....that there is a max throttle restriction screw....However...nobody seems to know where this screw is.  It would be nice if someone who has actually done this can give some input of where exacty this elusive screw is.
I will attempt to take the carb out this weekend...to see if there is any truth to this.