Author Topic: What's wrong/weird with your SYM WOLF Classic 150?  (Read 18419 times)

Earforceone

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
What's wrong/weird with your SYM WOLF Classic 150?
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
-I have had issues with the "N" light being on but still being in gear(1st or 2nd), a little playing with the selector will eventually get it out of gear...(Dealer suggested I don't put too much faith in the light and learn to feel for it instead)

-There is a metal plate just underneath the instrument cluster which due to vibration, in addition to the protective sleeve being too short by just millimeters is cutting into my clutch cable.

-I noticed a rubber bushing on my front right fork(just below the fork mounted yellow reflector)that wasn't seated completely and sticks out...

Sure, some of this is just cosmetic but I know eventually (more than 300 miles) will become worse.

DON'T be me... the sidestand will be something you don't want to forget down, I got used to using the main stands then the other day I rode off with the side stand down, (more commonly a safety feature on newer bikes not allowing bike ignition with stand down..)
2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150 Green
1977 PUCH Maxi
1977 Pacer P-14
1977 Foxi GT Deluxe
1974 Batavus VA Deluxe
2008 Diamondback Mr. Lucky 24" Bmx

chiquito

• View Profile
Re: What's wrong/weird with your SYM WOLF Classic 150?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »
- I've also seen my neutral light give me a 'false positive'.  I had it on the sidestand last week and started it (neutral light was green) and it was in 1st  :o ...not good, I didn't drop it but it was close.  From now on I do one of two things when I start it, 1. be sitting on it and roll it back/forward a bit to ensure I'm in neutral, or 2. if I'm starting it while not sitting on it, I only use the center stand.  Also, finding neutral while riding has never been an issue with mine, I guess it's just a parking issue...

- the protective sleeve on my clutch cable is long enough to contact that metal plate you mention, though not by much

- I don't see an issue with those rubber fork bushings on my bike

Earforceone

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
Did my First Service yesterday at 311 miles.

The shop fixed the rubber grommet/bushing on the fork, and also replaced the protective cover so it covers the entire cable almost now. 

I didn't bring up the N light thing because I did that after the first week of riding it, and they weren't too sure about the issue exactly(not enough of these out yet to determine a defect)?!
1977 PUCH Maxi
1977 Pacer P-14
1977 Foxi GT Deluxe
1974 Batavus VA Deluxe

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
....I didn't bring up the N light thing because I did that after the first week of riding it, and they weren't too sure about the issue exactly(not enough of these out yet to determine a defect)?!

I have yet to take a Wolf apart, but the neutral switch on the older Hondas was a simple plunger design.  Sometimes they would stick, and with lots of miles the plunger tip would get worn flat.  Replacement was easy.  "TeamSym" posted this link in the forum's "front sprocket change" thread http://www.teamwolfclassic.com .  Note the green wire in the photos of the countershaft area.  I'd wager that wire is connected to the neutral switch.
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

Mr_Krabs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
Yeah check the wire where it connects, it's a simple bare piece of wire that is held on by spring tension in the switch. Try wiggling it around to improve contact. Or heck it may even be coming off for some people, then just simply put it back in.

chiquito

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »
My turn signal switch is getting swapped out (via dealer via alliance).  Signaling right was flaky.  If I pressed the switch with just the right amount of force at just the right angle, I could get it to signal....a workaround I don't want to have to deal with on a bike w/800 miles on it.  I like my dealer - he said no problem to get that replaced and installed. 

I'm getting used to the rocker style switch by now, but I'm still not a fan...

chiquito

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
Is pressing the rear brake foot lever supposed to illuminate the brake light?  Mine does not...

gitsum

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
There's a spring attached to the foot lever, it might need adjusting.  Mine came from the dealer unconnected :(

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
Is pressing the rear brake foot lever supposed to illuminate the brake light? ....

Assuming the taillight bulb is okay, raise the brake light switch.  It has a threaded collar.

See the photo here... http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1429.msg10536#msg10536
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:38:32 PM by pacnwfoto »
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

chiquito

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Is pressing the rear brake foot lever supposed to illuminate the brake light? ....

Assuming the taillight bulb is okay, raise the brake light switch.  It has a threaded collar.

See the photo here... http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1429.msg10536#msg10536

Thanks, that's it - I broke it!  I did the 17t sprocket change, but zero rear brake adjustment, so that's my problem.  Cheers!

Earforceone

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
KICKSTART LEVER- I use the kickstart from time to time (to keep it working properly as per the manual)...AND well, it gets stuck under the exhaust heat shield until I free it back up,(it has proper spring back tension).

FRONT TURN SIGNALS RUBBER HOUSING-  I've noticed the rubber mountings for the front turn signals are splitting/cracking near where the signal light attaches. (NOTE I have a Hunter Green model which have black plastic light pods, NOT the chromed over ones found on the black model.
1977 PUCH Maxi
1977 Pacer P-14
1977 Foxi GT Deluxe
1974 Batavus VA Deluxe

chiquito

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
KICKSTART LEVER- I use the kickstart from time to time (to keep it working properly as per the manual)...AND well, it gets stuck under the exhaust heat shield until I free it back up,(it has proper spring back tension).

Same issue originally, but after a bit of practice and just growing accustomed to using the kickstarter, I've learned to push down and slightly out, rather than just straight down.  Once I got used to doing this instead it has become second nature and I haven't gotten snagged on the shield in a long time.  So not a fix, but a workaround that may help. 

keveckes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »
My turn signal switch is getting swapped out (via dealer via alliance).  Signaling right was flaky.  If I pressed the switch with just the right amount of force at just the right angle, I could get it to signal....a workaround I don't want to have to deal with on a bike w/800 miles on it.  I like my dealer - he said no problem to get that replaced and installed. 

I'm getting used to the rocker style switch by now, but I'm still not a fan...

Mine is doing the same things w/ 300 miles on it. Glad there's a precedent for having this fixed under warranty.

My neutral light is flaky also but I understand that this is the case for many motorcycles. Just never trust it...

Some transmission annoyances: 1. Sometimes when shifting from first to second, the thing just goes into neutral and the engine revs a lot. This is even with a decent amount of upward force on the shift lever.

2. When making a quick or sudden stop, it becomes impossible to shift down. The lever goes but nothing clicks into place. Only after I let the clutch go near the friction point am I then able to shift back down to first gear so I can get going again.

Finally-- I'm seeing rubber parts (esp. the turn indicator light attachments) already starting to crack and dry out. This seems pretty unacceptable for a bike that's only 1.5 months old. When I take it to the shop for the first service I am going to see if the warranty will recover replacement of these parts.

Earforceone

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
KEVECKES> I just had my second service recently and addressed these issues... Dealer sprayed some sort of lubricant into the switch for the turnsignals and now they are like new, no need to replace entire switch(most likely).

Also the dealer ordered and has for me new rubber mountings for the front signals which had been cracking.

I also have noticed a "failure" to shift into second from first myself, so sometimes I just shift twice just in case (if that means being in 3rd then fine at least I know I'm not in Neutral).
1977 PUCH Maxi
1977 Pacer P-14
1977 Foxi GT Deluxe
1974 Batavus VA Deluxe

ryanh119

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »
2. When making a quick or sudden stop, it becomes impossible to shift down. The lever goes but nothing clicks into place. Only after I let the clutch go near the friction point am I then able to shift back down to first gear so I can get going again.

Mine does that too. Sometimes I'll get to a stop and have to go from 5th to 1st, letting the clutch out to the friction point to move to each lower gear. It sucks having to race the red light to get into first (or second, I guess) before it turns green.

My pedal doesn't move, though. I know this is happening because the whole shift lever locks up. Anyone know what could be causing this and if it's fixable?
Wolf Classic 150 - Black and Red