Author Topic: HD200 Fuel leak  (Read 21443 times)

Barnone

Re: HD200 Fuel leak
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
RD433,
I'd bet that your 2006 California HD200 has the canister since they have been on CA bikes for a long time and have always caused problems.   

bfp165@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 04:23:23 AM »
I just bought a HD 200 and am having the fuel leaking problem you described. Did you ever get a answer as to why it's doing it.

wez

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 02:44:08 AM »
My apologies for the long-windedness, but here goes. This fuel leaking situation really concerns me. Please don
Stop supporting oil despots of the planet - drive a scoot!

-- WEZ

2008 Sym HD200
2004 Honda Metropolitan

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
Good post.
Two things:

1. NEVER EVER USE THE SIDE STAND!!!! On the HD it is horrible (the 2009 was fixed at the factory from the earlier defect) and you WILL drop the bike. Trust me, I have experience. If the angle from using the side stand adds to the problem, well there is a partial cure.

2. I only take my HD to the gas station if I am on a trip. I also commute to work around 20 miles R/T, and I keep a couple of plastic gas cans in the garage (2.75 gals and 1.5 gals). That's enough gas for at least 2 weeks of normal usage. Fill up in the morning, and not at night. Problem solved, you will burn off that extra fuel on the ride!

Of course, since you have a source of "fire" in your garage you have to be especially careful. But for those of us who don't the gas can method works great.

My bike is a 2009 but not CARB, and I don't think I have all that extra stuff in it. And I never had a gas leak problem even when I have over filled it to the point where it sloshes back out. But I do understand your post, and the best solution for you is DON'T FILL IT UP BEFORE YOU PUT IT AWAY.

wez

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
and the best solution for you is DON'T FILL IT UP BEFORE YOU PUT IT AWAY.

Thanks. yes, I concur with this. I have actually now started timing my fillups to coincide with the beginning of my commute TO work.

As for the side stand, the only time I have any use for it is when changing oil. You don't get the oil slobbering down the center stand.... what a mess!

-WEZ
Stop supporting oil despots of the planet - drive a scoot!

-- WEZ

2008 Sym HD200
2004 Honda Metropolitan

gtdohc

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
I have been following this thread quite for awhile, i though i am the lucky one without the fuel leak problem, but today after i park my scoot on center stand, when i am about to leave the garage and just found out i am not that lucky on this issue, fuel dripping from under my seat and when i take a closer look, i heard some bubbling sound from my gas cap then after i open the cap and kind of released the pressure ( by hearing the hissing sound), the dripping stop, after a minute or 2 i put that cap back on while the engine still hot, it dripping again not long after, i had to open the cap again and release the pressure from inside the gas tank, of course the dripping was stop again. I leave the gas tank open without the cap and came back in garage to check found no more dripping gas after an hour or so, so tmw i got to ride my motorcycle to work and wait until weekend and planning to take the seat and cowl off to check if the pressure in the gas tank have anything to do with the gas leak.

NC Scootin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 04:20:16 PM »
Wez-

Excellent write up! Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.
I'm in NC and have the fuel smell problem too.

I'm looking forward to reading about your experiments and what your conclusions are.

Thanks again!
David in NC
JerseyBiker - "You can take the biker out of Jersey but not the Jersey out of the biker"

2012HD200Evo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
I've been having the fuel leak problem on my 2012 Sym HD 200 evo.  After a long ride while sitting on the side stand, fuel was leaking into the air box.  Scooter wont start due to flooded condition.  Can get it to start by opening air box and removing air filter and draining out gas and letting the whole thing evaporate until it's dry (you have to reassemble air box as scooter wont run well/at all without it).  Had the vacuum petcock replaced under warranty at the dealer but had it flood again while parked in my garage and during a weekend ride.  Back at the dealer for further investigation.  Wondering if there is a bad batch of petcocks out there. 

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Most likely not the petcock - fuel is loading up through vent lines to carbon cans behind the gas tank. The purge valve needs to be disconnected. Fuel into air box is a symptom of this.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

SYMkauai

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »
where is the purge valve and how do i remove it?

I have 2 bikes 2013 SYM HD200evo and 2014 SYM RV200evo and both are having the same problem.

when the bike is running it runs fine and performs great, but, when i turn off the bike fuel starts flowing back out of the carburetor into the airbox/air filter causing a overly rich condition and requiring full throttle for at least 20 sec before it will clear and start again.

the HD200 has a petcock system and the RV200 has a fuel pump type system and they both do the same thing.  they also both have all sorts of vacuum hoses/emission crap.

if i start the bike and let idle for 5 minutes with the airbox opened and the filter off i can see there is no fuel flowing out towards the filter, but, after turning the bike off fuel will slowly start to come back out towards the air filter.

if it is the purge valve do both the HD and RV 200 have them?  they are the same engine one is just longer in the back to compensate for the bigger tire.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

SYMkauai

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
I'm trying to remember the routing since I have yanked all that stuff, but I did forget something too. When your scooter is not running the "auto cock"(#5) which is your vacuum petcock should not allow any gas to go to the carb. If it does, then the carb will over fill and leak out  into the carb. Since the float inside the carb should be shut, it won't come out of the drain tube (#8) but may instead leak into the air filter itself and yes it will be a royal pain to start. The gas may also leak into vacuum lines which is a big big problem and may even let the gas enter the crankcase itself.

DRAIN YOUR OIL and smell it. If it is gassy smelling, then you have gas entering the crankcase nad you HAVE to fix that immediately. The gas may be entering through the crankcase ventilator and if it does, then your oil will be contaminated. I've been called a HD200 guru since I know this machine inside out, but I'm no guru, just a mechanic that knows a thing or two, maybe three   ::)

Here's what to do. look at pict #5 (your fuel valve) and get ready to test it. you'll need some spare vacuum/fuel tubing for this and some masking tape or paper and pen to mark the hoses so you don't forget where they go.

There are four hoses that go to your valve. 2 fuel lines, a vacuum supply and the tube that circulates spare fuel and vapor back to the tank (that #2 "thingy") Below I'll ID their purpose and location for you and what to do.

1) the main fuel line coming FROM the gas tank is the one connected to the fuel filter  and looks like a L/S shaped hose(#6)

2) The main fuel line going TO the carb is the bottom one directly opposite the gas inlet tube.

3) The one on the TOP is the vacuum supply hose that operates the petcock valve.

4) The one that shoots to the side and comes back up to the separator valve (#2) sends spare fuel/vapor back into the tank or the charcoal canister.

Now here's the test. Pull off the fuel line tah goes TO the carb, not from the gas tank, and attach some spare tubing to it and let it empty into a cup. Only very little gas should come out of it and it should stop. If it doesn't stop or maintains a small trickle/ drip, then replace it as that's your problem. You may have to do it a few times to check it out, but you shouldn't have to remove any panels to do so.

If it doesn't leak, then with the kill switch in the NON running position, try to start it for a few seconds. You should see gas come out into the cup while you try to start it and it should stop when you stop cranking it. if it keeps coming out, then bingo, problem solved. You may also want to leave it overnight, but use something large enough to hold ALL the gas in your tank in case the valve is bad.

There's only one way the HD gets gas to anywhere and that's through that valve. The valve can be working normally, sticking open (dumps fuel) or not opening in which you starve for gas. At least testing this will rule in or out the valve so we can go further down the fuel delivery.

We'll get you up and running just like the others I've helped to fix their problems :)

Jeff

i have the RV200 model and it doesn't have the petcock valve and does the same thing with the fuel in the airbox.

how do i fix that

SYMkauai

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
Most likely not the petcock - fuel is loading up through vent lines to carbon cans behind the gas tank. The purge valve needs to be disconnected. Fuel into air box is a symptom of this.

please tell me where the purge valve is and hot to disconnect/plug it up.

thank you

beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 10:06:17 PM »
I have an 2012 HD 200 that I purchased new. Lately I've been having fuel leak out onto the ground whenever I place it on its side stand. I placed it on its center stand and removed the seat bucket to see if it was a faulty fuel line. When everything seemed fine, I leaned it onto its side stand and fuel poured from where the fuel cap mates with the fuel tank. Under closer inspection, I notice that the fuel caps 2 square metal tangs that are to lock it to a plastic lip in the tank neck have worn the plastic to the point where the cap will not seal to the tank neck.

Any engineer worth his salt knows that 2 dissimilar materials will wear faster than similar materials, especially when put under load. The lip in the tank neck is worn and chipped to the point that fuel splashes all over the back end of the scooter. I think I can safely say that any car or motorcycle that I have seen in the past have a metal cap the locks into a metal tank or neck.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:38:24 PM by beagle »

Etamni

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 03:53:28 AM »
I have 2 bikes 2013 SYM HD200evo and 2014 SYM RV200evo and both are having the same problem.

when the bike is running it runs fine and performs great, but, when i turn off the bike fuel starts flowing back out of the carburetor into the airbox/air filter causing a overly rich condition and requiring full throttle for at least 20 sec before it will clear and start again.

the HD200 has a petcock system and the RV200 has a fuel pump type system and they both do the same thing.  they also both have all sorts of vacuum hoses/emission crap...

Greetings SYMkauai,
I had the same problem with my 2012 HD 200.  The solution was to remove or disconnect the CARB junk (which is some acronym related to California emissions) and my non-California dealer took care of that since I was still under warranty when the issues were popping up.
Take a look here and see if this gives you some better information: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1618.0
Good luck.  8)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:59:30 AM by Etamni »
2012 Sym HD200 EVO

Etamni

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 03:58:19 AM »
I have an 2012 HD 250 that I purchased new. Lately I've been having fuel leak out onto the ground whenever I place it on its side stand. I placed it on its center stand and removed the seat bucket to see if it was a faulty fuel line. When everything seemed fine, I leaned it onto its side stand and fuel poured from where the fuel cap mates with the fuel tank. Under closer inspection, I notice that the fuel caps 2 square metal tangs that are to lock it to a plastic lip in the tank neck have worn the plastic to the point where the cap will not seal to the tank neck.
@Beagle:  Make sure that you are not overfilling your scoot.  If you put the hose in the tank and it clicks off, do not squeeze more fuel in.  Also, make sure you are on the center stand when you fuel it up so that the scoot is level.  I've been told that overfilling these scoots can lead to the issue SYMkauai mentions, and others have mentioned as well.
Regards
2012 Sym HD200 EVO