Author Topic: HD200 Fuel leak  (Read 21850 times)

Barnone

Any Status Updates?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »
Any status updates on the fuel leakage problem?
I keep checking my HD200. 

reynols

• View Profile
Re: HD200 Fuel leak
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »
Wow!  Thanks Jeff, great stuff.  As an update, since I last posted here, I put everything back together and have been trying a few experiments.  One, stick with one brad of fuel.  Two, When I fill up, I stick the nozzle all the way in, lock the lever at the first mark, and let go and leave it there until it shuts off. 

Today I filled up my scooter again, and no leaks.  AND there haven't been any leaks since I put everything back together again... BUT.... and I was just thinking the problem went away....   it leaked again today.   I rode my scooter to work and then back home after filling up, a 30 mile round trip.  Parked in garage, came back an hour later, and there it was, fuel leaking into the bucket I've been putting under the air filter. 

I immediately pulled off the filter and it dumped probably a quart of fuel... fortunately this time I had something under it to catch all of the fuel.  I then got a little mirror attached to a rod and stuck it down the "throat" of the air intake to see if I can see where the fuel was coming from, as everything was still fresh.   

There are two openings in the air intake that have hoses feeding into them.  The intake furthest from the engine is a hose that leads to #2 in my pictures.  The second intake which is closest to the engine is the hose that leads to #3 in my pictures, the Crankcase valve?   The fuel is not coming from #2.   It looks like it IS coming from #3 as it was quite wet with fuel and had the looks of dried fuel coming down from that opening.  Also, the hose, #7, is always empty.

So, as my scooter is still under warranty, purchased brand new July 2008, I'm going to take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

One other interesting note, is that I actually "ordered" my scooter in June 2008.  For some reason it was delayed and didn't come till the end of July 2008.   I have since learned that there was a batch of scooters from SYM that came around June/July but due to some issues the batch was rejected by whomever inspects them and that batch had to be returned... apparently the original scooter I ordered was in that batch!  The one I ended up getting was apparently in the second batch that was sent from SYM.  I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything, but it is interesting.   ???

Thanks!
Scott

Barnone

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
The brand of fuel should not be the cause of your problem. How much and how you fuel your HD200 should not be your problem.

I buy what ever fuel and usually fill the scooter on the center stand to get it full. Never had the leak on my HD200.

I agree you should not put up with this and the dealer should fix it. Do you have a lemon law in your state?

A month ago I suggested that this failure should be reported to the NHTSA. Are you going to wait until your garage/house is burned down? Remember the Ford/Lincoln cruise control problem that burned down several houses.   
The manufacturer/dealer is not going to do anything unless you force the issue.   

reynols

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »
I just heard from my SYM dealer today.  They told me they fixed the problem!  When I told them that I heard that others were having the exact same problem, they did some more research and even called "the company" (I don't know if that meant SYM or Carter Brothers).  The dealer was told that they, "the company", were having problems with a fuel vapor recovery thing underneath the gas tank and told the dealer to remove it and gave them the information they would need to remove it.  I asked the dealer if they weren't going to replace it?  The dealer said they were told to just remove it and that I would be just fine. 

So, apparently that is what needs to be done with any HD 200 that is having fuel leak issues, just remove the fuel vapor thing underneath the gas tank.   Carter Brothers/SYM already know about it.

I pick up my scooter tomorrow.  After a year of this problem, it will be nice to finally be rid of it!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Scott

Barnone

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
reynols,
Hope that fixes your fuel leak problem. Fuel vapor recovery sounds like a California thing like the charcoal canister. Is your bike a California model? 

reynols

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »
I picked up my scooter from the shop today.   It was item #1 in my photos in this thread that they removed.  According to the repair order, "Per SYM's recommendations... remove carburetor vapor recovery system."   Everything else checked out OK.

As for it being a CA model, I have no idea.  How would I make that determination?

Scott

Barnone

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »
reynols,
Looks like it is the A.I.C.V unit part no. 8213-0116. That vapor recovery unit is usually a California requirement. I guess that when you were fueling your HD200 fuel was getting in the unit and leaking out.

Glad to hear that all is well with your HD200.  They are great scooter have amazing power. 

reynols

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »
Update.   :(

It leaked again. This time the fuel was leaking on *top* of the air box, instead of inside it.  I don't know what the dealer did, but removing the vapor recovery thing didn't fix it.  I dropped the scooter off at the dealer again, and, of course, they couldn't find anything wrong--I'm not sure they even believe me as they can never replicate the problem.  This time I called Carter Brothers and explained the situation.  They were already aware of my situation as the dealer has already been talking to them about it.  After yet another frustrating conversation that goes something like, "how can we fix it if we cannot replicate the problem or find a defective part?"  I explained I *HAVE PHOTOS* of the gas leaking.  I sent the photos to them and they are looking them over.  They are also requesting the repair history from the dealer.

While I understand their position, being unable to replicate the problem or find *the* defective part, it is *INCREDIBLY* frustrating.   I am now scared to ride it as the fuel leak is now outside of the air box--if that hit the muffler?!   

SYM HD 200... awesome scooter....    except for me being the unlucky one getting the "lemon."   

Scott

Barnone

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:43 AM »
reynols,
Bad news. Lemon law time?

reynols

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »
Resolved.

In a round about way...   

After many frustrating conversations with Carter Brothers and the local dealer, and exploring all my options, the dealer let me trade in my HD 200 on another model with what we both considered a fair trade in value.  I am now a happy owner of a 2009 Red SYM Citycom 300i.   ;D

Scott

homebrew

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
Very nice  8)

Barnone

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »
reynols,
How about a report on the difference in performance between the HD200 and your new Citycom 300i after you have broken it in? 

homebrew

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
reynols,
How about a report on the difference in performance between the HD200 and your new Citycom 300i after you have broken it in? 

Great idea!  I think there is a lot of interest in that comparison.

reynols

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »
It's been about a month and a half and 800 miles since I traded up to a Citycom 300i.  I posted my "review" of the Citicom 300i as compared to the HD 200 from my "seat of the pants" view in the Citycom forum.

Scott

rd443

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
I am having this same exact problem. My Sym HD 200 is a 2006 model and I live in San Francisco,CA. I have just over 1000 miles on my HD200. This problem has occured only recently. Prior to this I have not had any problems with my 2006 Sym HD200.
Fuel is dumping into my carburetor, soaking my air filter in gasoline. I checked my oil and it was contaminated with gasoline. I did not run the scooter I had the scooter towed to the dealer and the dealer said the problem was the fuel petcock needed to be replaced. They replaced the petcock, changed the oil, replaced my battery and gave my bike back to me.
I picked up my scooter from the dealer and filled up my scooter with gas on the way home. I rode home - no problems. The bike sat for a couple of hours and then leaked all the gas from the tank down through the airfilter onto my garage floor. I had the bike towed back to the dealer where they were very sorry and said they would find out what was wrong. They never mentioned the issue with the evaporative fuel canister. The strange thing is that the mechanic at the Sym dealer said my 2006 does not have a evaporative canister . Is there anyone out there that can confirm my 2006 Sym HD200 California model does not have an evaporative canister.

The results are: scoot won't start or starts and runs really rough and/or dies at random. And fuel leaks/dumps onto the airfilter onto the garage floor.  Can someone tell me if  this problem goes beyond the 2008-2009 models - mine is a Sym 2006 HD200. >:( >:( >:(