Author Topic: smog device removal  (Read 17887 times)

BeebBobE

• View Profile
Re: smog device removal
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
 ;D that was obvious...LOL
Ride like a Klingon....

yugi

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
Here is my take on plugging the exhaust hole:

Current: 2007 BMW R1200S, 2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150
Past: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2004 BMW R1100S, 2004 BMW R1150RT-P, 2003 Buell XB9SL, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2006 Buell Blast, 2014 Honda Grom

Beowulf

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
Has anyone experienced backfire during deceleration after removing smog equipment?

I never noticed the bike doing this before de-smog. All pipes removed and plugged as you guys have shown.

My guess is that I am sucking in air from somewhere. Possibly need a bigger plate to cover the port on the head? I fabricated a high temp gasket as well.

Cheers!

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
adjust your needle valve and faniggle with your air adjustment screw!  Needle valve clip adjustment worked for me! All this depends on how high above sea level you are !
Ride like a Klingon....

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »
There was a post 2-3 yrs ago that approached the de-smogging as NOT what to remove but what to SAVE.

It took the complicated procedure and make it so simple.

Basically it said "TAKE EVERYTHING OFF"

- Remove all the smog crap from under the gas tank and engine. You will end up with a large pile of stuff on the ground.
- now just add a line from the carb base to the petcock (plug the other carb base hole).
- Plug the large hole left in the rubber air inlet tube between the airbox and the carb.
- Run a piece of tubing from the gas tank vent down the front of the frame (I did it along side the clutch cable)
- Make a simple aluminum blank to cover the exhaust hole in the cylinder head.

I think you are pretty well done at that point.  ;)

Actually, read & re-read this whole thread a couple of times ..  I think all the info you need is in it.
Try not to look at what has to be removed but what stays - what stays is simple- The rest goes in the bag.

Just desmogged the bike today.  Most of the old photo links are broken which is a bummer but Papa Bear's break down was super helpful when it came time to make sure I had everything set up correctly.  I salvaged one of the old gaskets, cut the pipe, and used the metal from a tuna can to seal it up and it works great!  Gonna take it for a test drive but she fired right up when I was finished.  Happy winter riding everybody!

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
Excellent, Cody !   ;)
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/