Author Topic: smog device removal  (Read 17944 times)

ryanh119

• View Profile
Re: smog device removal
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »
Big thanks to all those who contributed to this, especially Symba_X for the photos and detailed instructions. The instructions are clear enough to get the job done and troubleshoot with if you're confident enough to do this on your own.

CElias, from what I understand, the de-smogging equipment is required for the wolf to be imported into California where smog is a real problem and pollution laws are strict. The "trade-off" without the smog stuff is that the wolf doesn't burn its gas as completely as it does with it, which puts unburned hydrocarbons (gas fumes, a pollutant) into the air. I would normally err on the environmental side, but I justified this project to myself in two ways: 1. I'm getting 85+ mpg, so even without the smog stuff, I'm still polluting much much less than most vehicles on the road. 2. When it's cold outside, it takes forever to warm my bike up. Even then, I've had the engine die when trying to pull out of an intersection, which is unnecessarily dangerous if I can do something to help it run more smoothly.

I'm sure I messed up a bunch of terminology/don't have all my facts straight, but I think that's the gist of it.
Wolf Classic 150 - Black and Red

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
Finally got rid of all the smog junk last night and boy do I wish I had done this much sooner! Totally worth it.

When I went to start up the Wolf this morning before going to work I didn't have to use the choke or throttle at all and it start up immediately and the idle was much nicer.

Current: Wolf 150, Puch Maxi-Luxe, Puch Nostalgia, Puch ZA VIP (pinto/dirtped), BMW R1150RT, 62 Vespa VBB

Past: 67 Kawasaki Roadrunner C2SS, Puch Newport, Garelli VIP, KTM Foxi GT-Deluxe, Kawasaki/Yamaha Jog Scooterabortion

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »
Finally got rid of all the smog junk last night and boy do I wish I had done this much sooner! Totally worth it.

When I went to start up the Wolf this morning before going to work I didn't have to use the choke or throttle at all and it start up immediately and the idle was much nicer.

You are in CA (Cali), is it legal to remove the emissions equipment there?
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

NB0TT

• Global Moderator
  • hop on and blast!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »

You are in CA (Cali), is it legal to remove the emissions equipment there?

Pretty sure it's illegal to tamper with any emissions junk anywhere. Definitely is in CA though but they don't actually smog bikes yet like they do on cars. I do a lot of other "illegal" things too  8)

What should be illegal is installing a bunch of emissions equipment that doesn't really work and only makes the engine run like crap cause it's been half-assed.
Current: Wolf 150, Puch Maxi-Luxe, Puch Nostalgia, Puch ZA VIP (pinto/dirtped), BMW R1150RT, 62 Vespa VBB

Past: 67 Kawasaki Roadrunner C2SS, Puch Newport, Garelli VIP, KTM Foxi GT-Deluxe, Kawasaki/Yamaha Jog Scooterabortion

krayhons

• View Profile
    • krayhons
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
I bit the bullet and removed the smog stuff, but now when I cruise, it doesn't seem as smooth.   I think I've done everything right - plugged all the hoses the directions say to plug, etc.  I double checked all the plugs and they all seem good.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »
Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of a brand new 2013 Sym Classic Wolf 150. Thanks to everyone that has posted on this Thread as I am really keen to remove the smog junk. However I am still a bit unsure from the photos and descriptions on the process to remove all of it properly to make sure I do not create other issues. Thanks much in advance for any more help.   

Rob
"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation... we have never left one up there"

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
OK, I'll do stepped go-slow approach to removing the smog junk. I'll likely have some questions so your feedback and advice is appreciated. To start with here is a quick snapshot (sorry bad photo) of the wolf in my house... just because I can  :) , plus I live in Calgary, Canada where even my garage is cool in winter.  BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS ALREADY POSTED AND FORGIVE MY DUPLICATION. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:30:10 PM by WolfSymRob »

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
Just a bit more background. I removed all the warning/information stickers, removed the side reflectors and cleaned up the tail area. I have some aftermarket items coming later this week: Handlebar end mirrors (EBay), Retro seat, Simple chrome exhaust, 4 stubbier replacement signal lights with clear lenses and orange bulbs, Replacement heal toe shifter (The latter 4 items are from Cam at Scooterseals).

First thing is to remove the seat by taking out the 2 bolts. Easy as pie.

Removed the 2 fuel hoses and label them. Fuel will not leak from the tank.

To remove the tank I used a bit of soapy water in a spray bottle to wet the rubber at the tail end of the tank, pried up the rubber tab and reefed until it popped out. Unplug the low fuel light sensor wire under the tank everything is exposed. Like I mentioned, I'm replacing my exhaust, but has nothing to do with the smog junk removal. Also the dangling signal lights will get swapped out when my new ones arrive soon.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:02:27 PM by WolfSymRob »

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Hi. This is the first component I am removing.

And then this.

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
So this photo shows the left side of the bike and the hoses that must be removed as well as the round black component. The long hose will be used (cut to length) in the next photo as a salvage piece that is used for the rear petcock from the gas tank.

This photo shows the above components removed. The short tubing in the middle was the original that went from the rear gas tank nipple to the carb. I cut a piece from the long hose so that it is no longer vented.

Next I removed the metal tube. Of course we know that the hole in the engine must be plugged so I'll do as others and cut a piece of aluminum stock and gasket material to seal it all up.

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 06:18:11 PM »
Voila!
Here is to allowing the Wolf Classic to breath free!

It all worked out nearly perfect and starts and runs like a top! Looks way better without that mess and simple now that I did it once. ;) I think the big thing is to work backwards Ie. Know what must be plugged and what must remain open.

For sealing the port on the cylinder head I just used the stock gasket and cut off a piece of aluminum from a meter stick I bought at Home Depot for under $6, plus a couple extra washers. I cut the plate to shape with a hack saw and the just filed it to shape. I also used a flat fine file to brush the aluminum and looks pretty darn ok.

Thanks again guys for all the previous posts and I wish anyone else wanting to do this mod all the best and hope I might have added a bit more information or at least confidence to you doing it.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:21:12 PM by WolfSymRob »

RoaringTodd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
The pictures are great.  Thanks!

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
Thanks Todd, hope it helps you a bit.

WolfSymRob

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
Hello.

I forgot to mention earlier that I got the bike from the Old Motorcycle Shop here in Calgary. The guys were really good to deal with. It's a new 2013 model with under 1 km on it.
Also Cam at Scooterseals was great as well and answered any questions I had.

OK, so these are the mods:

•Removed the emissions/smog mess of rubber pipes and junk  :o
•Replaced the stock mirrors with handlebar end mirrors (From Amazon:)
•Replaced the huge license plate holder with flat metal piece.  :)
•Removed the side reflectors  :)
•Replaced the 4 winkers with new low profile and clear lens / orange bulb versions (From Cam at Scooterseals)  :)
•Replaced the stock exhaust with cleaner looking a bit throatier sounding one. (From Cam at Scooterseals) :D
•Replaced the stock seat with vintage seat. (From Cam at Scooterseals)  ;D
•Replaced toe shifter with heel/toe version (From Cam at Scooterseals)  :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:26:21 PM by WolfSymRob »

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »
Looking good, Rob.
I'm near Windsor, On.

If your Wolf gets dusty you can ride him right down the hall in your home and put it in the bathtub ...  8)

Bob
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/