Author Topic: smog device removal  (Read 17609 times)

gitsum

smog device removal
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »
With the help of  3 up over at  ADVrider I was able to remove all of the smog junk on the Wolf.

Man, there was a ton of it, here's a pic of it stuffed into a one gallon zip bag.

When you're done what's left is very simple and efficient.  

1) A gas tank vent line that is rerouted straight down the front part of the frame (away from the exhaust header).  

2) The fuel line from the petcock to the carb.

3) a vacuum line from the petcock to the intake manifold.

4) leave the hose from the carb vent open!

That's it, there was more than a dozen things connected when I first started.  I wanted to get rid that crap when I first bought the Wolf.  But it looked like a big mess, and upon closer examination it was, and I was hesitant to give it a try.

The guy at AVDrider did it, so that was the extra motivation that I needed ;D

Some things to watch out for:

When removing the gas tank you have to disconnect the tank vent line underneath the front right side, it's easy to miss.
The fuel line and a vacuum line at the petcock, but that's kind of obvious.   As you lift the back of the gas tank, there is one more
electrical connection that is for the low fuel light.

Three things have to be plugged up after stripping all that junk off.   The vacuum line on the right side of the intake manifold, the large air hose coming out of the air box/carb, and the hole on the right side of the engine by the exhaust port where you unbolt a black pipe that almost looks like a bracket or handle.  

Update!

The carb vent has to stay open.  Previously I tried hooking it up to a one way valve I pulled off the smog junk.
Apparently there wasn't enough air pressure, because sometimes the Wolf would run fine, sometimes it would run horrible again.  Took me a little while to figure out the problem, but once I left the carb vent hose open, all was good ;D

Here is a few more pics showing how clean and tight the engine looks now, as well as the metal plate I made that plugs the hole by the exhaust port.

I ran into a few problems because on my first attempt  I left the smog device under the gas tank attached.  This is where the large air hose connects to and then to the cannister on the other end.  After I removed the cannister, apparently the air hose was now directly open to the atmosphere and the motorcycle was hard to start and ran terrible.  This is where 3 up from ADVrider gave me some additional instructions.  You want to remove all of that, and simply plug the air hose.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:22:29 AM by gitsum »

3up

• View Profile
Re: smog device removal
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Looks great
It's simple really, ride more work less.

gitsum

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
Looks great

Thanks again for help, and welcome to SYMforum ;D

Symba_X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »
It does look awesomely clean! May I ask beside it helps making the bike look better, does it do any good in term of performance? :D Thank you!

gitsum

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
It does look awesomely clean! May I ask beside it helps making the bike look better, does it do any good in term of performance? :D Thank you!

It makes it a lot easier to work on and tune.  Mine starts easily with just a short stab on the starter, no throttle needed, hot or cold.  But overall peformance is the same.

chiquito

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
this is amazing.  Not sure if I'm comfortable taking this on.  but damn. 

Symba_X

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
Where did you buy this seal?  :D

Thank you!

gitsum

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
Just made it out of a piece of metal stock.  Used the part that came off for a template, cut out a piece of hi-temp gasket material and bolted on with original bolts.

Symba_X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
Do you think it is possible to do this without removing the gas tank? What did you do to stop gas leaking when you pull the gas tank out?

Thank you! :D 

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
... What did you do to stop gas leaking when you pull the gas tank out?...

The tank has a vacuum petcock.  If working properly, it will only allow fuel to flow when there is suction through the petcock's vacuum hose.
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

Symba_X

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
:( So I removed the smog device things... but the Wolf wont idle if I dont give it some gas. This is all the things I have removed

And this is how it looks like. Idk where to connect the yellow arrow tube with so I just left it alone.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:12:46 PM by Symba_X »

Symba_X

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
There is also a big long tube coming out of the air intake I have not removed. It is still laying under the tank.

Please help this newbie out! Thank you very much! :(

gitsum

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »
That's the carb vent/overflow line, leave it unplugged.  Just route it back down the frame in front of the rear wheel.

Make sure the other vacuum line from the intake manifold is plugged, you only need the one that you already have hooked to the fuel petcock.  In your picture showing the pair port plug, the other vacuum line is still open.

You should have a gas tank vent line hanging down under the front right area of the gas tank.

Symba_X

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 04:43:54 PM »
So the long big tube will need to be plugged. Route the long small tube back to front of the rear wheel. The short small tube with the white tape on it need to be plugged?

I will try it now! Thank you very much Gitsum!

gitsum

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Yes, that sounds right.