Author Topic: Flat Battery  (Read 5406 times)

SandS

• View Profile
Flat Battery
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
I have a VS125 that had not been used for about 8 weeks
The battery was semi flat, would not electric start but would kick start.
Riding yesterday the motor just stopped Now It wont even kick start
Any suggestions on how to restart. It is not the kill switch being activated
Thanks

sidthesloth

• Sym VS 125 with 150 engine
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Battery
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:49:24 PM »
I believe these are a d/c type CDI, meaning you will need some charge in the battery to run the engine. If it kick started you had enough there to fire the CDI, but if your generator is not charging, it would have drained the battery down until it could no longer run the engine. Try charging the battery and see if that will start it.

JR45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:51:23 AM »
I believe these are a d/c type CDI, meaning you will need some charge in the battery to run the engine. If it kick started you had enough there to fire the CDI, but if your generator is not charging, it would have drained the battery down until it could no longer run the engine. Try charging the battery and see if that will start it.

There are two parts to the solution here - the generator is not charging the battery : so it could be either the generator or the battery that is not working correctly. Give the battery a good charge then check it. With the charger disconnected you should be getting somewhere above 12.5 volts across the battery. Also, if you can, check each cell of the battery with a hydrometer. Quite often a battery will show over 12 volts when not on load, but will have a "dead cell" preventing it from actually turning the engine over. If the battery looks ok, then try starting the engine: the battery voltage will probably drop to around 10 volts whilst it is trying to turn the engine - any less and it's probably on the way out. With the engine running you should be getting around 13.5 volts across the battery as the generator tries to charge it back up. If you're getting 12 volts or less it could still be the battery or the generator that's not working correctly. As I always believe in trying the cheapest thing first, I'd go for the battery - pull it out and take it along to your local battery shop / motorcycle dealer and ask them to checak it for you. they will do a capacity test which should confirm if it is good or duff. If the battery is ok, then your problem is most likely the generator.
As a "plan B" (and just eliminate anything silly that's causing problems) check all the electrical conections and plugs on the bike - make sure that they are all clean and dry - have a good look at all the wiring to make sure nothing is obviously damaged or shorting out, make sure all the earth connections are not corroded and that the battery terminals are clean and tight.
Hope this helps :-)
UK ( Live ) / Falkland Islands ( Work )
As we say in Marine Engineering "A plan is just a basis for change !"
Current bikes : 2004 Sym 180 Joyride, 2000 Laverda 750 S Formula, 1999 Ducati ST4, 2012 Honda CRF250L.

sidthesloth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
A small point of interest, last night I was trying to start my 150 that does not get used. It hasn't been started for a couple of months and the battery was dead. Even by using the kick starter the lights were lighting up, so if your charging system is ok, you should see them light up as you kick the engine.

JR45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:28:57 AM »
A small point of interest, last night I was trying to start my 150 that does not get used. It hasn't been started for a couple of months and the battery was dead. Even by using the kick starter the lights were lighting up, so if your charging system is ok, you should see them light up as you kick the engine.

This depends entirely on what sort of electrical system you have and how the generator is wired...
Some bikes have a direct lighting circuit that only powers the lights, not the charging system.
( Just a general observation, as I'm not sure what system the VS uses... )
UK ( Live ) / Falkland Islands ( Work )
As we say in Marine Engineering "A plan is just a basis for change !"
Current bikes : 2004 Sym 180 Joyride, 2000 Laverda 750 S Formula, 1999 Ducati ST4, 2012 Honda CRF250L.

sidthesloth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:31:33 AM »
With my vs, both 125 and 150, the lights are wired to the battery. The battery in my 150 is dead from sitting too long between starts and no riding.