Author Topic: ON REFLEXION - RV OR CITYCOM? 400 BURGMAN OR HONDA?  (Read 2984 times)

DougReid

• View Profile
ON REFLEXION - RV OR CITYCOM? 400 BURGMAN OR HONDA?
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »
Having just gone thru my scoot problems - all of my own making and not the scoots fault - I considered a new Citycom or 400 Burgman or 400 Honda Silverwing

Citycom driving position - for me - really bad - as for the upright footrests ???? the RV is much better
Citycom has nice big wheels though.

Problem with the 400's is that instead of getting my 3.2l/100km it would go up to anything between 5 and 6 - almost double and much like a small car.

So I have decided to stick with my 300 and get get the top speed up with a bigger rear wheel and heavier rollers.
GREAT HAVING MY SCOOT BACK!!! I SPEND IN A WEEK WHAT I SPEND IN A DAY WITH MY LANDCRUISER!

phipsd

• View Profile
Re: ON REFLEXION - RV OR CITYCOM? 400 BURGMAN OR HONDA?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
If you intend running your scooter at top speed for long, you can kiss your engine life goodbye. For cruising at 130 kph a 650cc motorcycle like a V-Strom would be more appropriate.

DougReid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
Having done 26000 I expect to go up to 100 000 - I have found the "sweet spot" to be at 7000rpm registering 120kph on the clock - will check GPS this weekend when I put on the 140 instead of 130 tyre.

When I had the head off there was absolutely no wear on the barrel - probably is on the rings - barrel is like glass - supose cause its ceramic.

Want twist and go and not big thirsty hard work bike like a V=strom

I will keep posting my experiences as the kilos click up

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
I agree. My Citycom runs nicely at an indicated 120 kph and 7000 rpm as well, but that is my personal maximum. Small engines run hard are not going to last nearly as long as they would if used more gently. Too many people run their scoots like they are sportbikes and they are not. They are engineered as light duty relatively low rpm commuters.

It just depends how fast a person needs to go.

Also small engines run hard often do poorly for fuel economy. It is not uncommon for scooters like yours and mine to get better mileage when commuting at moderate speeds than they do on the open road at higher speeds.

An engine that is larger and less stressed has the potential to last much longer before needing major work. They also can run more efficiently at highway speeds.

Kiwiscoot

• Scootaholic - Down Under New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:23:13 AM »
The same for my Citycom. Dr Pulley slider weights bring that down to about 6800 rpm, but as the belt wears it creeps back up again.
Citycom 300i - 46 000+ kms what a blast.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772