Author Topic: FINAL VERDICT ON MY NON STARTING PROBLEM - TAKE HEED - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!  (Read 3297 times)

DougReid

• View Profile
Thanks for all the input guys.

I had bent the inlet valves!!!

After buying a new spark plug, coil, generator, fuel relay and battery I finally gave up and got the dealers to fetch it.

By putting in an iridium sparkplug, foam air filter and straight thru exhaust my performance increased a lot.........

Downside is it would go up to and beyond the red line on the rev counter and at times hit the rev limiter without me realising just how fast I was going - approaching 160kmh.

Conclusion - if you need speed then buy a superbike and leave the scooters as standard. All the mods and increased performance come at a price.

I really enjoy scooting, the twist and go, the wind protection etc and don't really want another real bike - definition I am told is where you can't knock your knees together.

But I can't wait for the 400/600 Sym's - I will be first in the queue!!!

Happy scooting,

Regards,

Doug

leo.urbis

160 kph = 100 mph !  Damn!

Dave Bean

• View Profile
Wow!!!  You took a single cylinder scooter to 100 mph!!!!   :o

Wait... if I got a scoot, I was going to upgrade to Iridium plugs and foam air filter.  Not changing the exhaust.  How much more stress (or conversly, how much faster) will that push the engine????

DougReid

• View Profile
When I say approaching 160 I must point out that on the GPS that would probably top 140 ish

The only problem with letting the scoot perform better is that it lets you use the extra and without realising it you take it way into the redline space and the rev limiter - I guess I did it just too often.

I got my fuel consumption down to 3.2 litres per 100 kms

Now I am spending a bunch of money for my sins!!!

"

Kiwiscoot

• Scootaholic - Down Under New Zealand
    • View Profile
Doug, sorry to hear of you troubles. Looks like you took the EFI outside it's design envelope which probably caused it to run lean going by you fuel figures. Lean mixture, high speed  :o + alcohol/fuel mixture you run there caused valve overheat.
I will just stay with the foam air filter for my Citycom and leave the exhaust standard.
Citycom 300i - 46 000+ kms what a blast.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772

phipsd

• View Profile
I have never understood this scooter obsession with speed. Most scooters are intended for commuting or light touring, They are not intended or engineered for high speed use. Even with a completely stock machine, pushing the bike to it's maximum repeatedly will drastically shorten it's life.

Even a 400 will not be the answer. SYM specs show a 135 kph top speed for the new 400, 5kph more than my Citycom. Owners report that performance is similar to the 263 bikes. Could the bike go faster? Once broken in without a doubt, but then so will my bike. That doesn't mean it's a good idea if I want maximum engine life.

Personally I don't take my bike above 7000 rpm. If I want high speed travel, I have a larger displacement stock motorcycle for that. My 1000 V-Strom will cruise at 160 kph til Hadies freezes over effortlessly if Officer Friendly would let me do it.

Keep it stock, keep the oil clean and treat it more gently and the darn things will run nearly forever.

phipsd

• View Profile
Running an engine designed and intended for mid range running well into the redline to the point of hitting the rev limiter is an invitation to valve float and bent valves. If I had run an engine hard enough to bend the valves  and I was getting it fixed it would be wise to get the valve springs replaced.

Tired springs could be more prone to valve float in the future. Generally exhaust valves are more prone to overheating.

DougReid

• View Profile
Scoot back and running well, valves were cheap, will try stay out of red line area

putting on 140 70 13 tyre on back which should allow extra hiway speed and correct speedo over reading

want to also look at getting heavier rollers

at 120 its dangerous on hiway cause everyone overtakes you, an extra 10 to 15 kph makes all the difference