Author Topic: Debating over 2 Scooters  (Read 135 times)

ryanism85

• View Profile
Debating over 2 Scooters
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:37:59 AM »
Hi All,

I'm torn between two scooters..

I tested the Genuine Buddy 170 and the Fiddle III. I know this is a SYM thread, but if anyone has an unbiased opinion on Genuine vs SYM, i'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: Debating over 2 Scooters
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:42:12 AM »
I guess one big thing is how's local dealer support on either?
Beyond that have you ridden either?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

ryanism85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
My local dealer supports both, so I'm not worried about that. I rode the Buddy, I'm going to ride the SYM tomorrow. 

I'm more so wondering about build quality as that's something I may not be able to figure out.  I do like the spedometer way more on the SYM along with the color options.  The Buddy has a bit more of a classic look which I do like though.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
Heck, tough call really.  I've checked out both to some extent but have owned either.
Due to it's recent update I think the SYM has more zip now unless you get the Buddy 170.
Both have reasonable build quality from what I've seen.  Buddy has better accessory support.
You may want to slink over to the advrider battlescooters forum and put your question there if you don't get someone whose had both, recently at that since the fiddle updated recently, here.
Really I suspect it'll come down to test ride, & maybe ask the dealer's thoughts on which is more solid.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
Granted, I only owned a Fiddle II 125, but I'd choose a Buddy 125, if it fit.

ryanism85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
The dealer has the Buddy 125, 170, Fiddle III so yes, I am super torn.  I think the Fiddle is a much larger scooter? Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.  The name "Fiddle" does bother me a bit...lol

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
The name "Fiddle" does bother me a bit...lol

Maybe because you've seen 'Tommy' in a bad dream? 🙃

Fiddle About https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7e4Y03uojg

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:32:26 PM by redridinghood »

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
I would choose the one that has a better look with a aftermarket windshield. both sound like performance is very close to another.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »
If it was the buddy 125 vs the fiddle 125 I'd probably agree with ya.
When you do a buddy 125 vs. the specs on the Fiddle III I really have to give it to the fiddle

11.8 hp - 7500 RPM Max Torque:    9.21 lb/ft - 5500 RPM / 89mpg - ~266 lb claimed
The Buddy 170 is ~243 lbs claimed with 11.2 HP. Max Power [kw/(r/min)]:, 11.2/7000. Max Torque [n.m/(r/min)]:

The Fiddle is also running a 12" tire which should provide a bit more stability & cush to the ride vs. the 10" on the buddy.

Both, in terms of power, weight & size, are pretty similar spec to my old Kymco S200, but give up the 16" wheel size I like, but probably better MPG due to FI. with the usual FI/Carb trade off.
I prefer my HD to the S, but the S was a decent bike within it's limitations.  Speed and size great for in town, OK on the faster roads, a bit on the wrong side of the equation for freeway running, but with care you can do it, particularly if just exit hopping.

Thus I say ride 'em.  Frankly I'd skip the 125.  Save for price it's not a real great grab for the U.S. since we don't give it any advantage like a lot of Euro and Asian countries do.  They do OK & a guy I ride with loves his, but after the last Ferry 2 Ferry run he was nosing around at things with more power a bit.  I suspect that I'll see him on a new ride this year.

08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »
If it was the buddy 125 vs the fiddle 125 I'd probably agree with ya.
When you do a buddy 125 vs. the specs on the Fiddle III I really have to give it to the fiddle

11.8 hp - 7500 RPM Max Torque:    9.21 lb/ft - 5500 RPM / 89mpg - ~266 lb claimed
The Buddy 170 is ~243 lbs claimed with 11.2 HP. Max Power [kw/(r/min)]:, 11.2/7000. Max Torque [n.m/(r/min)]:

The Fiddle is also running a 12" tire which should provide a bit more stability & cush to the ride vs. the 10" on the buddy.

Both, in terms of power, weight & size, are pretty similar spec to my old Kymco S200, but give up the 16" wheel size I like, but probably better MPG due to FI. with the usual FI/Carb trade off.
I prefer my HD to the S, but the S was a decent bike within it's limitations.  Speed and size great for in town, OK on the faster roads, a bit on the wrong side of the equation for freeway running, but with care you can do it, particularly if just exit hopping.

Thus I say ride 'em.  Frankly I'd skip the 125.  Save for price it's not a real great grab for the U.S. since we don't give it any advantage like a lot of Euro and Asian countries do.  They do OK & a guy I ride with loves his, but after the last Ferry 2 Ferry run he was nosing around at things with more power a bit.  I suspect that I'll see him on a new ride this year.

Alright, I change my answer.

Granted, I only owned a Fiddle II 125, but I'd choose the HD200. :)