Author Topic: Engine start button has a mind of it's own - 2014 lance cabo  (Read 76 times)

orangecabo125

• View Profile
Engine start button has a mind of it's own - 2014 lance cabo
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
My start button just sometimes does nothing. I have to make like 10 attempts to start the scooter and finally it will work.  Then it can go for days without giving any issues. Then all of a sudden it will refuse to do anything, i.e nothing happens when I push it.

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: Engine start button has a mind of it's own - 2014 lance cabo
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:31:20 PM »
Loose battery cable?  A bit of corrosion on the button?
Do you park this outside in the weather a lot?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »
Wonky shut off switch?

orangecabo125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
Yes, I do park it outside all the time and it has gone through several US winters ( chicago and now NY ).. So maybe it's button corrosion. Is it straightforward to take the assembly apart? I'd hate to open it  and have springs fly out of it!

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
I'd see if there's a way to spray some contact cleaner (or WD works with caveats in a pinch if you don't have any contact cleaner) in there.
On my B650 there's a convenient hole in the bottom, probably to drain water, that neatly fits a straw for that purpose.  I also sneak it in under the switch itself and give it a squirt then work it a bit..

Bear in mind you could also have loose and corroded battery terminals contributing to this.  Those two items are pretty much the low hanging fruit IMHO.

Yes, I do park it outside all the time and it has gone through several US winters ( chicago and now NY ).. So maybe it's button corrosion. Is it straightforward to take the assembly apart? I'd hate to open it  and have springs fly out of it!
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 05:55:48 AM »
Yes, I do park it outside all the time and it has gone through several US winters ( chicago and now NY )..

Sorry, couldn't resist😜  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADqxnQA_4