Author Topic: Valve clearance, has yours ever needed adjustment  (Read 116 times)

hsympson

• View Profile
Valve clearance, has yours ever needed adjustment
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »
My HD200 has around 5,000 miles on it.  I have never checked valve clearance, it starts and runs fine.  I think the SYM dealer ootscoot said he didn't check clearance until something like 12,000 miles unless there was a starting/running problem.  Has anyone found their valve clearance actually out of spec and at what mileage, which valves, was there any starting/running issues and were they found to be out of spec more than once?

Thanks

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: Valve clearance, has yours ever needed adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
My blue one was purchased brand new.  It needed one adjustment. 

I did tweak one valve one time after that but it was actually in spec, but it was marginal & I was there so why not?
It did get the valves messed with while diagnosing the fuel issue incorrectly.  I don't count that.

The red one had them set once.  I'm really not sure where they stood, but I sent it in for an over to a local shop for a solid going over (This one's ridden mostly by the wife).

They were solidly in spec when I checked them 2k later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:57:57 AM by Tromper »
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply Tromper.  Do you remember how many miles you had on your new one when the clearance wasn't in spec and was it a single valve out of adjustment or more than one, exhaust or intake or both?

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »
Under 1k, this was the initial break in set.  ~600 miles.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
Thanks for the info!

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:05:58 AM »
hsympson, I was unaware that one needed to check valve clearance until coming across this site.

I don't know all the details, but a month ago my daily use HD200 suddenly wouldn't start. The battery was good, and the starter tried to ignite the engine, but the engine wouldn't turn over. Also, the spark plug was super wet with gas, and when dried and replaced it immediately got wet again.

Tony, a mobile scooter mechanic with Applebox Scooter Repair in LA, suspected engine valve &/or stator plate problems. These were outside his scope of practice. He tried to not charge me his diagnostic/repair fee, but as he travelled to me, I paid him half the amount.

Al's cycle shop in Silverlake ruled out stator plate problems, did a valve adjustment, and replaced the fuel valve. That did the trick. The bike had 26,306 mile on it.

Though the bike now sounds different (it always sounds somewhat different than ever before after shop work), it runs as well as it ever has.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:48:14 AM by DigginMySYM »
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~
'08 Suzuki Burgman 400.... Nice!
Let's Conspire To Ignite All The Souls That Would Die Just To Feel Alive

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Thanks Diggin,

I found this is what ootscoot a SYM dealer said about HD200 valve adjustment

"We have yet to find the valves on the HD200 needing adjustment - this is out of approx 150 scoots. We have been checking at 5,000 mi, but so far nothing, not even with bikes at 25,000 mi..."

My scooter starts and runs fine and doesn't have any strange sounds so I'm reluctant to check the valve clearance because I don't want to damage the gaskets and start an oil leak since parts are so expensive and difficult to source for this scooter.

PS regarding the smell of gas you mention for your scooter why not ask the dealer who replaced your tank.  If the gas cap fits correctly (gas cap not sealing is why you replaced the tank, isn't it?) and if you aren't having issues with the fuel valve or evap system maybe there is a leak at one of the fuel lines or the filler neck overflow nipple after replacement of your tank and fuel valve (?petcock).   

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
hsympson, it seems that the gas smell occurs because of the problem that many on the multiple threads about gas tank problems have mentioned. The stock tank and cap simply don't fit well together., and over time, as the cap wears away at the tank thread grooves, they fit less well together.

Because the gas cap doesn't perfectly seal the opening, when the tank is full and the bike leaned on the kickstand, the liquid gas is flush against the cap and some vapor escapes.

No one in that thread has a solution, including the Alliance SYM distributor guy which people have mentioned. It seems to me that the best solution is to be super careful when replacing the cap after a fill up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:26:36 PM by DigginMySYM »
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~

marco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »
Thanks Diggin,

"...My scooter starts and runs fine and doesn't have any strange sounds so I'm reluctant to check the valve clearance because I don't want to damage the gaskets and start an oil leak..."
Mine ran fine UNTIL I checked the valve for adjustment, never thought of that possibility. Now gas leaks into the crankcase no matter what: changed carb, petcock, ethanol free gas, never over-fill, etc...looking to just buy a new used 2015 model for $2475 rather than messing with my older model!
~marco
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:07:17 PM by marco »
-------
Washington State
2008 Sym HD200
2006 Kymco People 150

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:01:20 PM »
marco, you may only need a fuel valve. I had mine replaced recently. The part cost about $65 and the labor was about $120. If you can replace it yourself, you can save the labor costs.
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
Could also be the carb gasket acting up.  There are a couple old threads on that.  I gather it gets fussy to seat after the bike has a few years on it.  That may have been part of what was up with mine a while back.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650