Author Topic: Top Mileage? Questions For Long Time, High Mileage HD 200 Owners  (Read 321 times)

• View Profile
Re: Top Mileage? Questions For Long Time, High Mileage HD 200 Owners
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
How about a Burgman 200? Seems to be a middle ground. You could probably get one next to nothing. Here is one. I was interested last spring until I realized dealers were asking too much for something with no demand.

Like this one, been at the dealer since April 17 when I was shopping for a ride. I think once it hits 2499 maybe they will get some bites.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcd/d/2014-suzuki-burgman-200-abs/6446645436.html

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
87112, For me, the Burgman 200 seems too small. I definitely want something more powerful and freeway worthy. Plus the 400 engine will likely last longer. As for tires, I don't have much experience comparing different brands. For a few thousand miles, I used whatever was on the HD200 when I bought it. Then put on some Pirellis which lasted about 6,000 miles. Performance seemed fine, but when hitting any bump or driveway edge (even very carefully and slowly), I could feel the bump hit the rim... even inflated to 32 PSI. Having driven only cars before, I was disappointed with what seemed like quick wear on the Pirellis. Then I put on some Dunlops, which are still on it now. I heard they might last longer. They do feel tougher, and I don't feel bumps hit the rims as much with them. Unfortunately I got a nail in the rear tire very shortly after I put them on, and Dunlops are not cheap, so I left the nail in and have been driving with it for about a year. The rear wheel goes somewhat flat (very slow leak) every so often and has worn down. The front tire is still like new, but since no one will patch a rear motorbike tire, I need to replace the rear one now. I would say that compared to Dunlops, Pirellis seem flimsy.

Syd, thx for the advice. You're the man!

Tromper, We definitely agree on the HD200's performance & handling. I wish mine was more reliable. Perhaps the newer models are. The Citicom also has big wheels. I may check that out in the future. I'd like to see how others fare with the new ceramic coated cylinders. The Burgman I want to get has a great price, with very low mileage, and I can pay cash now for it. Keeping at least 2 bikes around is a great idea.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:35:10 AM by DigginMySYM »
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~
'08 Suzuki Burgman 400.... Nice!
Let's Conspire To Ignite All The Souls That Would Die Just To Feel Alive

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
The Pirelli Diablo on my HD has about 3800 miles on it. It is wearing great and I think it can last at least 8k miles. There is some dry rot lines even though the tires were made a couple of years ago. I am tempted to try city grips on my newly bought Honda Forza when the stock Dunlops wear out.

I have only seen one Citycom in person. It was at the dealer waiting for service and of course can't sit on someone's bike. I am not sure how great it is for long distance as the higher foot position does not appear that far out and that would limit good leg stretch position.

On my Forza for those over 5 feet 10 its probably too small.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:48:41 PM by 87112 »

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »
RE: Tires for these.  Michelin City Grips.  Have 'em on three bikes, no disappointments on any levels.
7k on the rear of one HD & going strong still.  Great grip in the dry and wet, nice & even leaning deep into curves, no abrupt edge like the OEM, never any issues at any speeds due to the tires..people texting are another matter...

87112, For me, the Burgman 200 seems too small. I definitely want something more powerful and freeway worthy. Plus the 400 engine will likely last longer. As for tires, I don't have much experience comparing different brands. For a few thousand miles, I used whatever was on the HD200 when I bought it. Then put on some Pirellis which lasted about 6,000 miles. Performance seemed fine, but when hitting any bump or driveway edge (even very carefully and slowly), I could feel the bump hit the rim... even inflated to 32 PSI. Having driven only cars before, I was disappointed with what seemed like quick wear on the Pirellis. Then I put on some Dunlops, which are still on it now. I heard they might last longer. They do feel tougher, and I don't feel bumps hit the rims as much with them. Unfortunately I got a nail in the rear tire very shortly after I put them on, and Dunlops are not cheap, so I left the nail in and have been driving with it for about a year. The rear wheel goes somewhat flat (very slow leak) every so often and has worn down. The front tire is still like new, but since no one will patch a rear motorbike tire, I need to replace the rear one now. I would say that compared to Dunlops, Pirellis seem flimsy.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
Tromper, Any thoughts on the following?
I'm going to have to immediately put a rear tire on the Burgman. The Michelin Site initially showed me only "Power Pure SC Scooter Tires" for the Burgman, but a search gave me the City Grips. The Power Pures look like they may be more durable, and are 0.2 points higher rated than the City Grips on bikebandit.com. Have you heard anything about these? Also, do you know of a Burgman forum which is as good as this one is for SYM?

87112, I saw a Citicom today when I took the Burgman I'm test driving to Scooter Dynasty to have them check it out. I was super surprised when the guy trying to sell me the Burgman said yes when I asked if I could take it overnight to bring it to a shop.... he asked for no collateral (though I parked my SYM at his place) and nearly gave me the title, but I told him to hold on to that... and after telling him the issues/costs I'll be taking on if I buy the bike, I talked him down from his $2500 asking price to $2200. KBB lists a $3750 value).

Anyway, SD sells a number of SYM and Kymco models. I agree, the Citicom looks like both legroom and positioning might be a problem. I love the sitting position on the HD200.

The Burgman has legroom, but the seat/leg positioning will take some getting used to. I did 95 on the fwy this morning and it is a really fun ride. I'm going to buy it! WooHoo!!!

EDIT: Just bought the Burgman for $2200!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:15:57 AM by DigginMySYM »
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
REO Burgman stuff.
- If the weight specs and others match up well the CG is probably a good choice.  I know some folks in the BUSA forums have used 'em on 400's..they don't meet spec for the 650 and the reports of those who tried anyway bear that out.  That said, I do not have a 400, so I'd check other stuff...this leads to...
- The Burgman USA (BUSA) is probably the best of the Burgman forums IMHO.  Burgman Riders had some good posts as well.  There's a fair bit of overlap on 'em.  Some have said the latter might be a bit better for 400s, I dunno.  I ride a 650.   Check 'em both out.  I'm on both, but mostly only active on the former. 
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:20 PM »
I went with a CG for the rear on the Burgman. As it seems that CGs are not available in the US for the HD200, will probably go with another Dunlop the rear. They're pricey, but the best I've experienced on the SYM.
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »
City Grips not in the U.S. for the HD?  I have four of them in service as we speak & have purchased 6 in the last couple years. (Three different bikes)
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-city-grip-scooter-tires
120/80 16 $78.61
100/80 16 $75.19
Might be cheaper ordering them through your friendly local dealer if he's installing 'em, but there ya have it.

Dunlops? I've only heard one report of 'em & they had some early cracking going on.   I'd stick with CGs
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:15:23 PM by Tromper »
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

DigginMySYM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 01:28:15 AM »
thx for the info Tromper.
I got the outdated info about the CGs for the HD200 here: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=603.0
That was written 2010. I should have dug deeper.
Plus, I was mixed up because though there is a rear CG for the Burgman, there does not seem to be a front CG for it (120/80-14M/C 58S), except maybe on websites selling to Europeans. Only Michelin's Power Pures are available here in the US for the Burgman's front wheel.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:16:19 PM by DigginMySYM »
'13 SYM HD200 ~Smooth~