Author Topic: Oil Change, Hot or Cold?  (Read 144 times)

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
Oil Change, Hot or Cold?
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
What do you guys and gals recommend when doing an oil change? Run the engine or don't run the engine before the change? I'm using an synthetic motor that doesn't need to be changed every 5000 miles and there's no way I put that kind of mileage on that bike running errands over the course of 9 months. I was considering leaving the oil in it over the winter. It seems like such a waste changing it.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Change, Hot or Cold?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 06:23:00 AM »
Change the oil hot (warm)
What oil are you using?
I change my oil every 2,000Km - no way would I run it 8,000Km (5,000 miles)
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:50:58 AM »
warm, every couple thousand miles, honestly no harm in changin' often
Ride like a Klingon....

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
What do you guys and gals recommend when doing an oil change? Run the engine or don't run the engine before the change?

Run the engine - change the oil when it's hot (quite warm).

I'm using an synthetic motor that doesn't need to be changed every 5000 miles

I hope you aren't using a common automotive synthetic oil that isn't JASO MA/MB approved.
In a motorcycle like ours (wet clutch common sump) the transmission shears the oil more than the engine does.
Just because you can go "XXXXX " miles in a car using synthetic oil doesn't mean you can do "xxxxx" miles in a motorcycle.
Also auto rated oil doesn't contain the required ZDDP that is best for our flat tappet bikes.
HDEO diesel oil does have the extra ZDDP that we need.

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:51:32 AM »
I'm using Castrol Edge 10W-30. The bike runs like a charm but what do I know about tappets? I couldn't remember what to buy and the bikes decal said to use 10W-30 so I thought it would be fine. I thought I'd buy a product almost as expensive as Royal Purple because they say that's the shit but Castrol Edge was on sale and it has Fluid Titanium Technology in it and I'm all like "Yeah, Fluid Titanium Technology!!! That's must be better and faster!!!" I swear papa bear I can't keep the front end down.

I went to Canadian tire a year ago or so to look for what you said to buy and I swear I couldn't find it.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »
The manual says to use "API SH, SAE 10W-30 or better".
API SH is an obsolete oil rating that was used 20 yrs ago http://www.pqiamerica.com/devilsindisguise.htm when oils had well over 1000/PPM of Zinc & Phosphorous as most engines had flat tappet valve trains like our Wolf.
New auto oils (SM/SN) are limited to 800/PPM so as to not damage catalytic converters and the engines today are roller valve drives.
The oils today that still have the high Zinc & Phosphorous (1200/PPM) levels we need are diesel rated HDEO 15W-40 or 5W-40 synthetics - be sure to select one that is JASO MA/MB rated for wet clutch shared sump motorcycles.
One of the "best" and most popular are Shell T4 conventional (I use this) and Shell T6 synthetic.
Get it at Walmart.... cheap good bike oil. I get mine at TSC when it's on sale.

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:06:12 AM »
Upvote for Rotella T4. I use this and buy it from Canadian Tire. I find my bike shifts and takes off better with it vs the T6 and even most other motorcycle oils.

The manual says to use "API SH, SAE 10W-30 or better".
API SH is an obsolete oil rating that was used 20 yrs ago http://www.pqiamerica.com/devilsindisguise.htm when oils had well over 1000/PPM of Zinc & Phosphorous as most engines had flat tappet valve trains like our Wolf.
New auto oils (SM/SN) are limited to 800/PPM so as to not damage catalytic converters and the engines today are roller valve drives.
The oils today that still have the high Zinc & Phosphorous (1200/PPM) levels we need are diesel rated HDEO 15W-40 or 5W-40 synthetics - be sure to select one that is JASO MA/MB rated for wet clutch shared sump motorcycles.
One of the "best" and most popular are Shell T4 conventional (I use this) and Shell T6 synthetic.
Get it at Walmart.... cheap good bike oil. I get mine at TSC when it's on sale.

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »
Ditto on the Shell T4
Ride like a Klingon....