Author Topic: De-restricting my 2005 SYM Mio 50cc  (Read 68 times)

jaylow

• View Profile
De-restricting my 2005 SYM Mio 50cc
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »
Hello there people
I'm wanting to de-restrict my MIO, now I've heard a lot about removing the bean bag in the air filter which I did and it did nothing but gave me residue inside so that has gone back in also I've heard about removing the governor behind the clutch which is my next step but also I want to get my hands on a de-restricted CDI unit I can find a few on the internet but i am unsure of which one i need.... please help as my bike has done 70000miles and i am sick of doing just 28mph!!!!!!!!!!!

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: De-restricting my 2005 SYM Mio 50cc
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
Please, please tell me 70000 miles isn't a typo! I know a guy who put 14,000 on a 50, but even 7,000 is not usual.

To your question, I know some scoots have a washer welded into the exhaust to restrict flow, and some put an extra washer between the variator halves to keep the belt from reaching higher up the face. But I don't know about the Mio.

jaylow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »
Haha unfortunately no typo there mate 70000plus miles on the clock! Bad i know she works ok minus a slow idle and a bit of bogging out but that's to do with the carbs fuel/air mixture I'm sure! I have a bolt in my exhaust which i took out and apart from making the old girl louder it did nothing else so that went back in! I'm currently looking at unrestricted CDI units as mine is stock but cant do anything at the moment due to this bloody snow lol

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »
I'd say remove the green restricter from the bike, & redo the airbox since you may able to utilize the better flow with that out of the way & a new CDI.
k5 is kinda a watershed year so you're probably CDI restricted, but might not be.
Here's a nice rundown on how to check, & a link for a cheap kit.  There are probably others available, & not guarantees this will work well with the Mio.  You start doing that sort of thing and you're pretty much on your own.

https://www.tuningmatters.com/how-tos/how-to-check-if-your-scooter-cdi-is-restricted/

Personally I just cheat and ride an HD200, but heck I wish ya luck in your endeavor.
Please do post whatcha come up with and how it works out for ya. :D

Cheers
Tromper
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650