Author Topic: Coolant drain and fill or "flush"  (Read 373 times)

hsympson

• View Profile
Coolant drain and fill or "flush"
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:39:41 AM »
My '12 coolant has never been replaced so I picked up some "engine ice" coolant.  Discussions and video I have seen describing "flush" seem to refer only to drain and refill.  Does anyone actually "flush" the coolant or only drain and refill?  I have read about crud in radiator from factory but the coolant reservior is has completely clear, undiscolored coolant so it seems that if there is muck in the system as I have seen others post that the coolant would be discolored, right?

Thanks

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant drain and fill or "flush"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:00:39 AM »
I flushed mine once. Takes time, but it's not difficult.

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »
Flush meaning prestone type (non-acid) flush additive, drive for day or two then drain followed by de-ionized water rinse or like flush with a garden hose?

If everything looks clean/clear on mine I think I'll skip the prestone "flush" but if there is brown crud as others have described I'll probably give it a try.

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
Drain, fill with water and coolant flush (no idea what I used). Ride for a while, drain, fill with water, ride, drain, fill with 50/50 mix. Ride, ride, ride, crash into E-Class Mercedes.

I don't recommend the crash part. ;)

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »
I used the prestone flush in both of mine before I dumped the (bad) oem coolant.
Always tough to say how effective however the red one particularly had been running a bit hot and had trouble activating the fan.
After the flush no issues.  I did get a lot of crud out of it.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:07:48 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I'll use the flush and see what comes out.

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »
I finally got to changing the coolant on my '12 HD200 (which I bought as a new old stock in spring of '15).  Contrary to reports I have read the old coolant looked as clear as if it was new, no sludge or anything so I just ran some distilled water thru it which also came out as clear as when I poured it in.  Replacing with engine ice coolant.

hsympson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
I ordered another 1/2 gallon of engine ice.  I followed the instructions of which the last step was to bleed air from the ?thermostat.  Besides the air some dilute green (original) coolant came out then the blue engine ice which seemed very dilute initially.  So I will drain the coolant again and be sure to drain from the thermostat housing more completely.