Author Topic: Scooters again  (Read 136 times)

david23

• View Profile
Scooters again
« on: November 29, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
Hey, I wanted to thank all you gals and guys for responding to my inquiry about the 2018 SYM scooters It was very helpful and informative, but I have another question Do you all think that switching to a Kymco would be more feasible, since according to the information you guys conveyed, SYM won't have much of a presence in the US next year, maybe even beyond? I love my 2015 SYM HD 200, and it runs like you wouldn't believe, as I've previously mentioned, but if there ever comes a time when it wants to go to heaven, is Kymco a good option? Then there is the new BMW scooter for 2018 called the C400X which is a midsized scooter There are so many choices, but if I can remain loyal to the SYM brand, I will do it, that's why I hope they're still going to be around Take care you all and have a good one

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Scooters again
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »
If your '15 HD dies tomorrow, you could buy a '16 and get a full warranty on it. And not selling scooters labeled as 2017 or 18 is an American invention. Most of the world sells scooters, no year available.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:11:15 AM »
david23, a Kymco is a very good option to the SYM; in fact my first scooter was a People 150, and it was a very solid scooter. I am a SYM/Lance owner now because of the local dealer we have here in the valley. They previously sold Kymco and SYM products, but had to back out of Kymco because of all the problems they were having with parts supply (and a bad factory rep for the area). Because SYM offered an equally good scooter at a much lower price than the Kymco, AND I have total warranty backing and professional repair services in my local scooter shop, I have committed to SYM. I guess it's a matter of what the customer support in your area is like that might be the final determining factor in whether you go with SYM or Kymco. Either way, both are very good, dependable scooters.
2014 PCH 150 (Matte Black)
Nampa, ID

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:47 AM »
Depends a bit on what you're looking for.
I've stuck with the HD as my lighter bike since nobody else has anything in that range that performs as well as the HD in the large wheel scoots in the U.S.  Kymco's are great but the People 150 is notably slower than the HD, as is the otherwise very nice Piaggio Liberty 150.

In the end it really depends on what you're looking for.  If you want something bigger there's a whole nother world of 300-400's out there including the current Citycom (that I'd love to get an eyeball on, but probably ain't happening in Seattle).  The current reigning champions of that range are the BV350, & the Burgman 400, but the new Yamaha's getting some love & the new Kymco 400 looks pretty good.  Haven't seen the Kymco 300 yet but a couple folks on ADV have picked 'em up.  It's a bit slower than the old DT & People 300's I gather.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »
I agree with Tromper, for its wet weight 297 there is nothing that has the specs it has. 16 inch wheels and with an unmatched power to weight ratio. The competitors such as the PCX150 and SMAX are slower and in the case of the SMAX slower and heavier, its 328pds wet weight.
I wish SYM would make a HD250 I probably would just buy it no test ride.