Author Topic: Sym Fidddle II gas gauge  (Read 185 times)

alexsmom

• View Profile
Sym Fidddle II gas gauge
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
I have the 2017 Sym Fiddle III and love it but the manual leaves a lot of info out- It states the gas tank is1.7 gallons. I have run it to just below the red bar all the way to the "E" . I could only get 1.1 gallons in it at that point. Does anyone know if the little gas tank icon lights up when the tank gets low? Would like to figure out where my "drop dead" line is on the gas gauge. Also, the clock does not keep accurate time (looses several hours a day) Is that normal?

redridinghood

• View Profile
Re: Sym Fidddle II gas gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »
Does it only take 1.1 gallons at 'E' because the gauge is super inaccurate, or because the gas pump nozzle is being put too far into the gas tank?

Is this your first bike?

Fueling a bike vs a car is quite a bit different.

Cars have long filler necks (shove the pump nozzle all the way in and when it clicks off, you're full) and bikes have short/non-existent ones, so you have to carefully assess the proper depth of the gas pump nozzle when you fill-up, or you'll never have a full tank of gas.

Resettable trip odometers are a handy tool as a 'fuel gauge' because if you always fill the tank up and know its capacity, your gas mileage will be fairly consistent so when your trip odometer reaches a certain mileage...fill the tank...(example.. 1.7 gallon (filled) tank, 65 MPG ave (error a bit on the conservative side) fill gas tank at 100 mile intervals)

Your scooter doesn't have a trip odometer?... Put a Post-it note with the odometers mileage written on it at the time of fill-up and cover the inaccurate clock with it😜...You bought the scooter new? Call the dealer about the clock (warranty)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:31:56 PM by redridinghood »

alexsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
Thanks redridinghood.  I am familiar with filling the scooter tank up to the bar.  This is my first scooter but I have owned 9 motorcycles.  Mostly curious as to whether or not the little gas tank icon lights up when it reaches a certain level. (Like my car does)  I would rarely let it get that low, but would like to have an idea of how much is left when it reads "E".  For example, my car icon lights up when I have approximately a 40 mile range left.

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
So the fuel gauge does read 'E' when it's far from empty...

You might call your dealer and see if this is 'normal' for it to be so inaccurate. (Don't you think there should be more transparency before the sale of a new vehicle IF the design is this inaccurate?) 

Without a reliable gauge or resettable trip odometer, I definately would write a note of the odometer at fill-up.

alexsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
Thanks- I do keep a notebook with mileage for each fill-up.  But if the icon lights up I would have more confidence in "guessing" how empty it is :-)

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
FYI www.fuelly.com let's ya keep track online.

+
Thanks- I do keep a notebook with mileage for each fill-up.  But if the icon lights up I would have more confidence in "guessing" how empty it is :-)
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

alexsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »
Finally got a response by asking Sym USA/Lance.  They stated the icon does light up.  Now I just have to figure out how far I can go after it lights up :-)

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
Strap a spare fuel can (full) to the back and take off.
:)
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

alexsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
LOL- Plan on just driving up and down my neighborhood until the light comes on.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 12:03:20 AM »
So ya figger it out Al's Mom?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650