Author Topic: Bolt Popped Out of back Sprocket - Safe to ride to Mechanic?  (Read 236 times)

dambrosa

• View Profile
Bolt Popped Out of back Sprocket - Safe to ride to Mechanic?
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
Hey all,

I have a 2013 Wolf with about 5k miles on it. On Monday, I was trying to back up and my rear wheel kept getting stuck. I found a loose bolt on the sprocket that came right out. Once I removed it, the wheel moved normally. I tried to tighten the bolt back into place, but no luck. The bolt is connected to another bolt on the sprocket by a thin piece of metal. The hole that the bolt goes into is about equidistant on the sprocket between the chain and the axle.

What is this bolt and how important is it? Why can't I get it back in (the threads for it are internal, there was no nut holding it in place)? If I take it out, could I safely to ride to the mechanic?

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't know much and issues with wheels, chains and brakes make me paranoid.

Thanks!

Adam

_codybarker_

• View Profile
Re: Bolt Popped Out of back Sprocket - Safe to ride to Mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
Hey all,

I have a 2013 Wolf with about 5k miles on it. On Monday, I was trying to back up and my rear wheel kept getting stuck. I found a loose bolt on the sprocket that came right out. Once I removed it, the wheel moved normally. I tried to tighten the bolt back into place, but no luck. The bolt is connected to another bolt on the sprocket by a thin piece of metal. The hole that the bolt goes into is about equidistant on the sprocket between the chain and the axle.

What is this bolt and how important is it? Why can't I get it back in (the threads for it are internal, there was no nut holding it in place)? If I take it out, could I safely to ride to the mechanic?

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't know much and issues with wheels, chains and brakes make me paranoid.

Thanks!

Adam

Is it one of these bolts?

If so, those bolts hold the sprocket onto the drive flange [see below] and you shouldn't ride the bike without first making sure those are in working order.  You don't want your sprocket coming loose or your rear wheel locking up while you ride.  That could be deadly.  I would remove the rear wheel and check to see if the nut on the inside of the drive flange is present. If it fell off, it might have been binding up the rear drum.  If you can find it you might be able to screw it back onto the bolt and be good to go.  Otherwise you might want to consult a mechanic. I believe that thin piece of metal on the front side helps keep the bolts from loosening.

Removing the rear wheel properly is a good skill to pick up and requires removing parts in the correct order to make it easiest.  It's not that hard once you know what you're doing and you'll get faster at it each time. It'll also help you ensure your ride is safe.  If you need help through the process I can give you a walkthrough.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:39:17 PM by _codybarker_ »

dambrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »
That's the bolt!

I was trying to attach pictures, but having a hard time figuring it out.

It sounds like I'll have to do what you recommend and remove the rear wheel. Any help you can provide in that process would be super helpful. Are there any kind of special tools I'll need?

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Here is a link for the Sym Wolf 125 Service Manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwt6gUtQJQfdTjJkMHZVN3pZLVU/view?usp=sharing

This is a guide for a very similar model to our 150 classics and most of it will help you troubleshoot problems.  Section 12 is about removing the rear wheel.  I don't usually remove the exhaust as this guide does, I instead unscrew the bottom bolts from the rear shocks and slide the shocks off so that the swing arm can lift up past the muffler, making removing the axel much easier since the muffler would normally be in the way, but removing the exhaust might be just as simple or more so. I would give their method a shot and see if it works out for you.  You'll need some wrenches and a strong but thin phillips head screwdriver that can fit through the opening in the axel, otherwise when you go to loosen the axel bolt the axel will just spin. I use a few sizes of ratchets to get most of the bolts and a large adjustable wrench to remove the biggest nut (the flange nut).  It might seem intimidating at first but take it step by step and really look at everything to see how it all works together once you start tinkering.  Don't overtighten things when you put it back together, but get them good and snug, especially the axel bolts (the right way is to torque everything down to spec but I don't have one so I generally go on instinct based on experience, bolt size, and the stress that part encounters, you really want that axel bolt on good but not crazy tight, good enough that it's not coming loose on it's own, but not so tight that you strip it and make it too hard to remove the next time you need to).  When you get the wheel back on you'll want to make sure you've got your chain tensioned correctly, the specs are listed on your chain guard, and that your wheel is aligned properly, which just means looking at the indicators on either side of the axel and ensuring that they are both on the same marker. Adjusting these will affect your chain tension so you'll do both of these things at the same time. This takes some trial and error.  When you get it right you can tighten it all down and double check your work.  You'll also want to make sure you've reattached your brake rod and nut and that you tighten the nut to give you the correct amount of freeplay (which is listed in your owner's manual). One of the most annoying parts for me is getting the wheel back into place under the bike.  I've found it's generally best to seat the drum first and that should give you enough room to get the sprocket and chain side (the flange) back on.  You'll know what I mean when you get there, it's a tight fit.  Take pictures of everything before you start and keep track of your parts and where things go.  You can do it! Let me know if you have questions once you start working on it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:18:41 PM by _codybarker_ »

dambrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »
Awesome! So helpful. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

dambrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
Just finished up!
I went by the manual and took the exhaust off. In general the project took some time, but I went slow and took pictures to reference later.

I found the bolt on the inside. It was in good shape, just came loose. I reattached it made sure all the others were tight and also inspected my rear brakes, which are fine.

On the rebuild I had an extra washer. The only thing it could fit was the swing arm rod, so I'm thinking it was behind the plate that holds the exhaust in place on the swing arm rod and came off unnoticed when I removed the exhaust. I put it back on there, along with the washer I knew about. now there's a washer on either side of that black metal plate that attaches to the exhaust.

I also took a tape measure and took pics of the chain tension adjusters before removing them. I referenced the pics on rebuild and set the distances according to my pics.

All in all, it feels like a success. I took it around the block and she's running smoothly. Thanks so much for your insight. Super helpful. If you're in SF sometime, let me know and we can grab a beer.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »
I was in SF in '69  8)
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

dambrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
Ha! That's awesome.

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
Glad to hear it went well!