Author Topic: Installing New Clutch Cable  (Read 295 times)

dallasfortwolf

• View Profile
Installing New Clutch Cable
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »
My clutch cable broke at the lever and I plan to install the new one that I got from Cam today.  Because of the way it broke (and my lacking mechanical knowledge), I'm not sure of the configuration on the lever end.  I plan to take plenty of photos of the other end and replicate that, as others have mentioned doing in previous posts on the subject, but could really use the help if one of you wouldn't mind sharing a photo or three of where your clutch cable connects to the lever.  I'll document the process from end to end and put it up here after as a resource for anyone doing the same work in the future.  Thank you!

_codybarker_

• View Profile
Re: Installing New Clutch Cable
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:02:55 PM »
My clutch cable broke at the lever and I plan to install the new one that I got from Cam today.  Because of the way it broke (and my lacking mechanical knowledge), I'm not sure of the configuration on the lever end.  I plan to take plenty of photos of the other end and replicate that, as others have mentioned doing in previous posts on the subject, but could really use the help if one of you wouldn't mind sharing a photo or three of where your clutch cable connects to the lever.  I'll document the process from end to end and put it up here after as a resource for anyone doing the same work in the future.  Thank you!

The end of the cable (at the lever end) has a cylindrical nut on it that slips into a cutout in the underside of the clutch lever.  Insert the cable nut first, then pull back on the cable to get the metal part at the start of the cable housing to slide into the C shaped housing of the lever assembly (I think this is how you should do it, if anyone else thinks otherwise please chime in). After that you can run the cable to the clutch assembly at the bottom.  Be sure to put those parts back together like you found them (take photos if you need to) and then adjust your clutch free-play according to the manual by adjusting the bolts at the clutch assembly.   I have pulled the clutch lever in these photos to give you a better look at the different parts. Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:07:51 PM by _codybarker_ »

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
In Cody's bottom photo, where you see the cable end barrel inside the lever, be sure to pack it full of grease in there and keep it packed regularly.
My cable hass almost 27,000Km on it and the cable is good as new- not 1 frayed strand.
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

c3powil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:41 AM »
I'm going to check my cable today, too because it's original and I'm afraid of getting stranded if it breaks. Anyone know what causes the issue? Lack of maintenance or just a faulty/low quality original cable?

dallasfortwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »
Awesome, thanks so much for your help everyone.  I'll tackle this tonight and report back on my hopeful success!

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
I'm going to check my cable today, too because it's original and I'm afraid of getting stranded if it breaks. Anyone know what causes the issue? Lack of maintenance or just a faulty/low quality original cable?

They ALWAYS complain of the cables breaking at the lever end.
Keep that barrel inside the lever WELL GREASED (and the cable oiled) and the cable will last a LONG time

c3powil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
Good to know! Would the grease I use to grease my shaft-driven motorcycle wheel splines be an acceptable thing to use?

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
Yes.

dallasfortwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
Finally got around to doing this!  Thanks everyone for your help, especially codybarker for the photos.  I'll post a clip demonstrating the tricky parts for anyone else without mechanic experience who searches this forum in the future looking for a how to.

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
glad to help dallas!