Author Topic: Riding into the sun.  (Read 188 times)

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
Riding into the sun.
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:38 PM »
Jeez, this year I had to ride right into the sun on a few occasions. Today was the worse. I had both a tinted visor and sunglasses on and still had to pull over. I made my way slowly forward and made a right turn into a residential area to make switchbacks through suburbia only to pop-out onto the main road with the sun directly in my eyes again and in traffic! It's been a few hours and I still have something like welders flash.

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
Re: Riding into the sun.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »
Jeez, this year I had to ride right into the sun on a few occasions. Today was the worse. I had both a tinted visor and sunglasses on and still had to pull over. I made my way slowly forward and made a right turn into a residential area to make switchbacks through suburbia only to pop-out onto the main road with the sun directly in my eyes again and in traffic! It's been a few hours and I still have something like welders flash.

It's getting to be that time of the year...

c3powil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »
Put a few strips of electrical tape at the top of your face shield. When the sun is that low yo can tilt your head down and block it with the electrical tape like a visor. Been doing it for years and it helps immensely.

Greyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
I too have considered puttin tape on my shield. Glad to hear it works well. Is it hard to remove the tape?

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
if you have cataracts don't ride into the sun or get a full tinted shield, you can even add darker tint film at an autoglass outlet near you, very economical and easy to do or have them do it for you!
Ride like a Klingon....

Bikeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
I always add a dark tint strip to the top-outside of my face shields. It's the static cling type sold for cars; to go on the top of their windshield. Bought it cheap a Walmart a few years ago. That amount will last me a life time.

If you have any questions about applying or re-applying, just ask.
2015 Sym Wolf Classic 150 Green, 2012 SYM Wolf Classic 150 White & Red, Honda ST1300, Suzuki DRZ400SM, KTM 450EXCR, Yamaha WR450, etc!

"They don't pay me enough to ride that thing" - King Kenny

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 06:35:45 PM »
I have a Seven Zero Seven Vendetta 3 full face helmet with a built-in shade visor I can drop down with a handy switch on the side of the shell. That with a no-fog, photochromatic stick-on shield works pretty well for the sun.  Those west coast sunsets can be brutal.

c3powil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
I too have considered puttin tape on my shield. Glad to hear it works well. Is it hard to remove the tape?

Not at all. Maybe if the tape stays on for years and gets hard or something. Worst it can do is leave a film which can then be cleaned off with your favorite windshield cleaner.

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 04:39:51 PM »
I have a Seven Zero Seven Vendetta 3 full face helmet with a built-in shade visor I can drop down with a handy switch on the side of the shell. That with a no-fog, photochromatic stick-on shield works pretty well for the sun.  Those west coast sunsets can be brutal.
They are brutal. The other day I was riding the opposite direction from the sunset and I heard a car accident behind me. The sound of the impact and metal crunching and I knew why it happened. Someone was driving into the sunset and and collided with another car. There's a glare that comes of the pavement that makes matters worse so putting down the cars visor is only a little effective.

Anyways, good suggestions everyone, but if a pair of sunglasses and a tinted visor isn't cutting it the best coarse of action is to be riding in the opposite direction or park it for an hour or so. Being blind in traffic is scary as Sh#t.