Author Topic: What the....?  (Read 314 times)

hardazz

• View Profile
What the....?
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »
Out riding this morning and accelerate to ~ 50 MPH at 7.5K RPM.  I come of the throttle a bit and then when i reengage the bike starts hesitating.  I pull over and bike idles fine.  I then get back on the rode and basically had to find sweet spot where bike wouldn't bog down and would accelerate enough to get to the next gear but struggled to get back to 35mph.  I called the dealer bc bike only has 671mi on it and he thinks it might be bad gas (i did fill it yesterday along with changing oil and cleaning out oil filter).

I just added about 2oz SeaFoam and tried it again.  In neutral trhe engine idle fine but still bogging down when in gear and accelerating.

Any guesses?  BTW I did not mess with smog stuff for this exact reason although I agree it looks much better.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: What the....?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Be sure your choke is off, that the cable is operating the choke properly.
If it's not right I would have the dealer look at it - if you start messing with things you may void warranty.
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

hardazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
You may be right, my old 65 Honda 90 bogs the same way if I forget to back the choke off after it warms up.  To the dealer!

Greyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »
I too have noticed that ya gotta remember to push that choke in after a few miles.
MY latest eye-opener is....apparently I  occasionally accidently hit the shift lever with my left foot. This usually happens when I'm taking off from a stop. I suddenly hear a loud wizzz and realize i hit neutral while revving. I'm  being more careful now to not do that. I find the shoes you wear CAN affect your shifting accuracy.

hardazz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »
I checked the choke this morning and it seems to function fine but still bike is bogging down once I accelerate to about 4.5k RPM.  Again it idles fine and does not bog down the same way in neutral so I guess the question is why would an engine bog down in gear but not in neutral?

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »
Best to have the dealer check it out but a couple thoughts...

What're your RPM's at idle once the bike has warmed up?

Maybe there's a deposit in your main jet that's not letting enough gas into the carb when you take off.  Perhaps the pilot jet is fine and that's why it idles alright but bogs down when you take off.

Have you taken a look at the air filter? Anything funny going on in there?

Maybe the air/fuel mixture screw needs some adjusting.

Probably best not to mess with too much since the dealer should handle it under warranty, but these are a few things I would be thinking about if it was my problem.

Cheers and good luck!

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
Oh, and I had a very similar problem after I tried to do my own valve adjustment.  The bike would bog down because I didn't set my valves correctly.  The exhaust valve was a little looser than spec and the mechanic fixed that for me. The bike would hesitate at higher speeds and RPM's and it was not fun.

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
And one last thing, you mentioned you did an oil change.  Did the problem start after you did your oil change?  If so, what kind of oil did you use and are you sure you did everything correctly?  Not trying to be insulting here, just retracing steps to find the cause.  Cheers!

hardazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
Yup, taking to the dealer.  Oil change did cross my mind so checked level and seals and everything was fine and the oil change was second I had done on bike with the same oil. I think gas from gas station I had gone to for first time could be part of it but only added less than half tank so a maybe.  Clogged jet sounds like a possibility or timing. 
Not the end of the world, I have two wolfs and this still under warranty.

c3powil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
My best guess is your carburetor's main jet. It's not difficult to remove the float bowl and unscrew the Jets to clear them out. But if your bike is under warranty... Take it to the dealer! Nothing like having someone else work out the, sometimes highly frustrating, issues that come with carbureted machines.