Author Topic: Dead speedo  (Read 133 times)

_codybarker_

• View Profile
Dead speedo
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 Wolf with 14k miles on it.  I live in Austin, TX where it gets up to 95-100 degrees most days recently.  This morning I drove to work, speedometer working, but when I went to ride home, the speedometer wasn't working, just registering 0mph the whole ride home. Nothing special happened on my ride or when I parked.  I checked the cable housing to the speedometer and from looking at it it appears fine, and I checked where the cable connects to the front hub and all appears fine there.  Any idea what might be happening or where to start addressing this? I'm gonna take a look at the wolf 125 parts manual to get a better feel for how speedos work.

_codybarker_

• View Profile
Re: Dead speedo
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
I loosened the screw that holds the speedo cable at the front hub and removed the cable.  I think I know my answer.  Snapped speedo cable.  Time to buy a new one.

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
I loosened the screw that holds the speedo cable at the front hub and removed the cable.  I think I know my answer.  Snapped speedo cable.  Time to buy a new one.

Unfortunately that's a pretty common thing with cable-driven speedos. It's not a terrible idea to check them from time to time and clean/lube.

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
Thanks for the sage advice ktran

Greyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »
14k miles eh? Put them all on yourself? I have about 6600 miles on my wolf, which i bought new in Oct 2015

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
All but the first 17 or so  ;)