Author Topic: Oil light came on, now engine hesistant/no power  (Read 309 times)

jaybird

• View Profile
Oil light came on, now engine hesistant/no power
« on: September 03, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
Was driving home the other day and the oil light popped on. I immediately pulled over and checked oil. It seemed a bit low but not terribly so. Either way I topped it up and made it back home. A couple of days later I try to take the scooter for a ride to check on it, and it was very low on power. At times it seemed very hesitant, not quite enough to stall out but I couldn't get up over 80 kph. Oil light is still on. I'm not mechanically inclined, but there's no dealer left in my area anymore so I'm going to try to at least get an idea of what's wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tks,

J

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
Re: Oil light came on, now engine hesistant/no power
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
Check the compression!
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles

reddy2ride

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
There is an oil reset button on the dash...I hope your problem isn't anything serious.

Bosse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
There is an oil reset button on the dash...I hope your problem isn't anything serious.

Just for clarifying. The oil light is not for the oil pressure (not on my -06 and i think the same is for later models).There is no oil pressure light. The oil light is just for you to take notice that it's time for a complete oil change. Think after reset it counts 3000 km and then it turns on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:14:03 AM by Bosse »

jaybird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 06:53:02 AM »
Thanks for suggestions. Just to be safe I spent a few dollars to get it home on a truck. Life's been keeping me away from working on it, this may be a winter project.

hooper117

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »
Hello, I have no oil light coming on, however my RV-250 is experiencing performance, hesitation, throttle response problems. It's in the shop now, however so far the scooter mechanics have not located the problem. The scooter throttle cuts out and the scooter starts to have performance problems any time you try to go over 40-45 mph. They cleaned the carburetor and took it for a test run and went up to 70 mph. It looked like it might be fixed. But the next day after the scooter rested overnight he took it out and the same problem occurred. They said the Rollers and the belt were in excellent condition. I've only got about 5300 miles on this 2009 model.
Anyone have any experience with such a problem?. Any potential ideas?
Rick
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:09:31 AM by hooper117 »

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
From the service manual for your scooter..(I think 🙄)...Joymax, GTS, RV 250

Ignition Timing

10 degrees before TDC/2500 rpm "F" Mark
26 degrees before TDC/3500 rpm
30 degrees before TDC/6000 rpm
16 degrees before TDC/8300 rpm

The ignition advance at 8300 rpm being retarded by 14 degrees as compared to the advance at 6000 rpm, must be a 'soft' rev limiter

IF the ignition timing (controlled by the CDI?) is faulty, it could explain why your engine won't go faster than 40-45 mph... (Spark is too late at too low of engine rpm/ a defacto rev limiter at the rpm your engine is running where it's cutting out at..)

Check ignition timing... Or just plug in a new CDI 🤐

AND...
Don't forget about the possibility of fuel starvation at the speed your engine is cutting out at

Hook up something like this (do so that the tank and hose run downhill to the carburetor (gravity)  https://www.amazon.com/AlphaMoto-Motorcycle-Shop-Auxiliary-Fuel/dp/B004NV42PQ#customerReviews directly to your carburetor gas inlet (eliminating the fuel pump, filters etc) and go for a test ride.. (As mentioned in a deleted 5 part mini-series, people have been known to use a small window washer reservoir out of a junked car for this purpose..often to 'Synch' carburetors on multi-cylinder motorcycles)

If you're in the USA, ignore the 'Currently Unavailable' messages on Amazon, as the links get 🇨🇦 'Canadianified' 🇨🇦 on this board 😜
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:43:17 PM by redridinghood »