Author Topic: clanking noise on chain after flat rear tire repaired  (Read 167 times)

jfare

• View Profile
clanking noise on chain after flat rear tire repaired
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
I had a mechanic came to my place to help fix my flat rear tire. After that I started noticing clanking noise (not very loud) when I drive my Symba. It bothers me so much but I sort of ignoring it as asking the mechanic to come back to check means extra money to pay. Then yesterday, the noise got worse, the clanking noise became very loud. This mechanic is the one from a scooter place that used to service my other Symba * (I got an accident in January and had to get rid of that bike) and last time after the service (not flat tire) the clanking noise occurs. I sent the bike back and his boss first denied that something wasnít done properly by saying anything  could happen; however, as it was just two days after the service he reluctantly took a look, and twisted the chain for a while. After that the clanking noise went away.

I am totally baffled as to why changing the rear flat inner tube would affect the chain. Perhaps a loose bolt or screw or something got into the chain cover? I donít have the proper tool to open up the chain cover (is this how itís called?), and so decide to ask for opinion first before I invest any more money on tools.

redridinghood

• View Profile
Re: clanking noise on chain after flat rear tire repaired
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
I am totally baffled as to why changing the rear flat inner tube would affect the chain

Chains are made up of 100's of pieces and often wear unevenly.

Removing the wheel to fix a flat requires slack in the chain to remove the wheel.

If they only checked chain slack in 1 position of the wheel, it could have been in a place the chain has the most slack...

...too tight in others...

when you have a chain with uneven wear, compromise to the tight spots and live with some excess slack.

Even though you chain is in a case, your bike does have a cover you can remove and get a look at the chain.. (Part #3) http://www.symcanada.com/_techSpecs/techSymba/MB10A7-C(F15)RRForkComp_ChainCase.pdf

You certainly could get an idea if your chain is dramatically too tight or too loose by removing this cover and checking chain slack with your finger, then rotating the rear wheel a little and checking again; repeating this sequence...

You could also look inside this hole while slowly rotating the rear wheel with your hand, to see if the chain is kinked at any point...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:46:16 PM by redridinghood »

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »
And, once the chain has been loosened, in order to tighten it the right amount - SOMEONE SHOULD BE SITTING ON THE SEAT...there are several posts about this in the forum...

http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=3841.msg22553#msg22553

LisaRae
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:00:41 PM by LisaRae »

jfare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:20:19 PM »
Thank you both. Is it possible to remove the cover and do the chain adjustment with just a adjustable wrench? I try not to invest money in motorcycle tools (really not a handyperson) as I've a feeling that I'm not going to keep the bike for long due to unexpected breakdown like this, especially now that I can't send the bike for repair or maintenance in my city any more.

Or something like this one?
https://smile.amazon.com/OriGlam-Purpose-Functional-Adjustable-Universal/dp/B06XB86VF2/ref=sr_1_21?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1501132469&sr=1-21&keywords=adjustable+wrench
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:23:09 PM by jfare »