Author Topic: Losing oil  (Read 152 times)

julius

• View Profile
Losing oil
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
I have been losing oil for months on my HD200.  Pancake size puddles in my garage all the time.  Yet every time I check the oil with the plastic dipper it shows full.  I know I need to get the leak fixed, but what do I do in the meantime.  I don't want to overfill the oil.  The bike is running perfectly.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
Re: Losing oil
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:46:36 AM »
I don't suppose you've taken off any plastic and looked for the leak, have you? What general area is the oil coming from? Pictures would help.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:20:57 AM »
I have been losing oil for months on my HD200.  Pancake size puddles in my garage all the time.  Yet every time I check the oil with the plastic dipper it shows full.  I know I need to get the leak fixed, but what do I do in the meantime.  I don't want to overfill the oil.  The bike is running perfectly.
Does the oil smell like it has gasoline in it at all?  Either the stuff on the floor or on the dipstick?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »

I can almost guarantee you it is from the cap on the screen. You need to replace the O ring when you change the oil, or they always leak.

Homer Sympson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
One thing I experienced in the past is when someone overfills their final drive, the oil gets into the airbox and comes out of the the little drain tube. The first time I saw this, it took me a while to figure it out and until then, I thought the engine itself was leaking or blowing oil into the airbox.

julius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »
Well, my oil leak has turned into a gusher.  I put about a half quart in and ran it for a few minutes.  The next day the floor was covered in oil.  I know it's not the oil plug and screen.  It's coming from the engine somewhere. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not going to remove the fragile plastics on this machine.  I guess I'm going to take it to my nearest Sym dealer who is 50 miles away.  Should I trust my Sym with a Honda dealer?  Opinions appreciated.  Thanks.