Author Topic: WON LAWSUIT for gas tank leak against MIKE HICKMAN SYM HD200 EVO!!!  (Read 738 times)

pele101

• View Profile
UPDATE, UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
I have sued SYM for their defective gas tank metal to plastic wear. Initially this was a bad decision on SYM of cutting costs and doing a gas cap metal to plastic gas tank. It wears the plastic on the gas tank and we all paid for it. I got a lot of money in total settlement. I posted this discussion when I thought it was only my scooter the defective one and how I should find a solution to fixing it. No way. There is nothing to fix. It was defective. This lawsuit took me 2 years and it was worth it. Sym specially Mike Hickman tried to fight it and put all kinds of excuses such as: I did not know how to put gas cap on, not known defects on this model, nobody has ever complained, we will fight the lawsuit with an army of lawyers (no lawyer showed up), i will replace model with same one, I (Mike) don't want to pay attorney fees so I want to settle and give you lots of money minus attorney fees, SYM tried delaying trial many times and finding all kinds of excuses. Let it be known SYM has fooled many of us customers of SYM HD200 evo model in making us think it was our scooter the only defective or it was your fault messing with the tank (gas leak). Don't try to fix it. Just sue them. I won and you can win too. Do not believe Mike he is a bullshitter and will try to change your mind. It did not work for me. I put him in his place!!! Now Mike Hickman is in jeopardy of losing his job for bullshitting many dealers and customers. These lawsuits are coming out of his paycheck i hope.
Many dealers have cancelled orders and hundreds of customers have had defective issues. Do not settle for less!!! Next post I will include settlement details and copy of check that was made out to me. It was worth winning instead of living with a defective scooter and SYM knowing they ripped you off. They took your money and now is time to get it back!!! You can respond to this thread and I will provide the attorney to seek in filing a lawsuit and how to win this issue. If you need additional details you can respond to this thread and I can help you with any question you may have.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:44:52 PM by pele101 »

redridinghood

• View Profile
'Pele' is the Goddess of Fire... >:( :-X

Kokines

• Go BIG or Go HOME
    • View Profile
Sooooo maybe we can do a class action??...My tank is leaking all over the place and i'm sure a lot of others are also!
Black 2012 SYM HD200 EVO | 9k miles and counting^

Tromper

• View Profile
"Lots" of others?  There've been a few reports that I've seen but nothing overwhelming.
I have no issues with either of mine.
No idea what you do different than I do or if you just got part of a bad batch of extra soft tanks.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

pele101

• View Profile
this goes to Tromper!!

If you have not had any issues with your scooter than this discussion does not apply to you and leave it alone. Just because you have not had the same experience does not mean it did not happen to others. This only applies to defective gas tank leak scooters and people affected by it!!!So take a hike Tromper and find something else to do instead of being a pest!!!

Tromper

• View Profile
Seriously Pele.
I am actually curious as to why your, & a couple others have had this issue, & I have not.  I ain't judg'n I'm trying to figure out the issue.

I have over 10k on the one, 6k on the other, & tend to fill at half tank, & no sign of the issue on a bike I bought new.  No sign of it on the one I bought used either.
Your bike has more miles in less time & is from a different vintage, but is essentially the same bike.

I haven't seen an overwhelming number of reports, but there have been a few so it's a real thing.  It might even be that mine will fail at some point so I'm trying to figure it out since I like the bike & plan on riding it for some time.

Lawsuit aside, any thoughts on the technical issue, & why it's not universal would be appreciated.

08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

scosgt

• View Profile
My 2009 never has the problem either, but my 2012 I could see the cap and connection was failing before I sold it. Appears to be on the 2012 and later.

hsympson

• View Profile
My 2012 with 4,000 miles has started to do the same thing even though I have been very careful with removing and replacing the cap at fill ups.  The plastic of the filler neck is obviously worn down where the metal cap flanges rest when the cap is fully installed/locked.  In an old thread Ootscoot indicated he stopped selling the HD200 due to this issue.  I visited the NHTSA web site and reported this as an issue with risk of fuel spill which could result in fire as well as venting gasoline fumes to the atmosphere and contamination of fuel in the tank.  Maybe if everyone who has this issue also reported it that might make some difference?  Maybe not but it does appear to me to be a NHTSA reportable issue and they state all reports are evaluated.

Dabears

• View Profile
Mine recently started this issue during a trip out west (I carry the SYM on a carrier behind our motorhome).  I do not know if it was the result of not being careful or wear and tear, but the filler neck has become out of round, and the sloppy tolerances between the splines on the gas cap and the neck are enough to allow one side of the cap to not catch. 

I have no intention of suing anyone, but will investigate making a plastic or steel sleeve that can slide into the filler neck and provide an extra millimeter or two of gap fill to allow the cap to work as designed.  May also try a hose clamp around the filler neck behind the bodywork to help keep the neck in round.  It's not a complicated issue, but may take a little fiddling to retain the original cap.

Burgi

• View Profile
I bought a 2013 with the cap leak issue at only 2500 miles. I can't say when it started.
I had a 2008 that never had a problem.
Couple things I noticed, the two bikes have different color tanks. One is white, one black. Did SYM change the material that the tank was made of and that lead to the issue?
The 2013 also holds more gas. I guess that is good since it also leaks more gas.  ::)

pele101

• View Profile
I bought mine in 2013 also. That is when I started having problems with my defective tank. I also had a 2008 before and I did not have that problem. It got stolen and that is why I bought the 2013. I believe SYM tried cutting production costs and produced a cheaper tank with different material and the metal gas cap did not help and this is where the problem happened. The gas tank could not hold the grinding of the gas cap for too long. If you still interested in seeking compensation I can refer you to the attorney that helped me with my defective scooter. You don't pay nothing $0 dollars. He gets paid only if you win the lawsuit. He knows SYM very well and is willing to take on new cases to see that everyone gets compensated that was left with a defective scooter. You are not alone. There are probably hundreds affected by this defective model out there and don't know what to do.

Northpilot

• View Profile
Re: WON LAWSUIT for gas tank leak against MIKE HICKMAN SYM HD200 EVO!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
No leaking gas cap problems to report with my 2009.

Seems like the problems are occurring on 2012 models and later?  Is that when SYM changed plastics on gas tank?

BTW: Pele 101, please be aware that no one is attacking your honesty or the accuracy of your info, etc.  This is just a user group of people trying to keep our SYM's running, solve issues with the machines and share solutions.  Your report of your lawsuit was valuable in that regard.

Ad Hominem attacks ("child molestor", etc. are just not the way we do things. 
2009 SYM HD200

ShelbyTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
Read this and other posts with interest as a google search on gas tanks leaking led me here.

I figured I'd try contacting Alliance Powersports/SYM at https://www.alliancepowersports.com/contact.html.

At 12:46am, I wrote:
"My white 2013 HD 200 Evo with 7100 miles has developed a crack in the neck of the gas tank and is leaking fuel. It has not been in any accidents, been dropped or experienced any other trauma. I filled it at the gas station, drove it home and smelled fumes. Further investigation revealed a visible crack with fuel leaking down the side of the bike. I heard some buzz from my repair/maintenance guy and read  about this happening to others including one guy who claims to have sued you all for $17,000 and is offering to help others do the same. Tempting, but I'm not looking to sue anyone. I would like to know what SYM is planning to do for those of us who love our scooters but are dismayed at this development which is beginning to look like a growing issue. Fair is fair, if your product has a fault then I'd appreciate some help rectifying the problem."

I received this email reply at 11:58am from Mike Hickman:

"Sorry for the trouble you are having with your HD 200. I will say the HD 200 has been a great bike for us  and  one we are very proud of. We stand behind our bikes with a solid 2 year bumper to bumper  warranty and while we are never going to make every single customer happy (like the one on the forums) I would call him an exception for sure.

We will gladly cover a new gas tank for you under warranty both parts and labor no problem. Because we strive to do the right thing 100 percent of the time and fair is fair. Thatís the good news, the exception it comes with is that  the service has to be done at one of our certified shops, please pick one that suits you best and we will make contact and give them a heads up for the upcoming service.  Sorry again for the trouble."

He then listed about 5 shops, the closest of which was in NJ about 65 miles from my home. I was a little confused about whether or not I was being written off but determined to follow up with another email, which I never had the chance to write because at 7:50pm Mike Hickman called me on my cell phone which I had provided on the form. He asked if I had read the email yet. I confirmed that I had, but wasn't 100% sure what he meant by coverage under warranty since I'm well past the 2-year mark with my 2013 HD 200. He said that they were planning on replacing the tank and asked which shop I would like to go to. I mentioned that my service guy is Jimmy at Zoom Scooters zoomscooternyc.com in Maspeth, Queens, and Mike knew him right off and said it would be fine for Jimmy (best guy ever) to do the work. Mike said he will call Jimmy tomorrow and make the arrangements then call me back afterwards.

Just wanted to add some balance to the discussion. I'll follow up once repairs are made.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
EXCELLENT!
Jimmy #1 is the best.

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
Thanks, ShelbyTom!