Author Topic: Sputtering engine  (Read 269 times)

Yegster

• View Profile
Sputtering engine
« on: July 02, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »
I'm having trouble with my Wolf - it runs okay at idle but sputters and bogs down when I give it any gas.  It will go about 60 KMH but no more.

I hit it with carb cleaner and that seemed to help a bit, but the problem just wont go away.  I pulled off the float bowl and removed the main jet - everything looked pristine and clean.  I haven't been able to replace the fuel filter yet but I removed it, blew it out and it refilled with gas just fine when I cranked the engine.

This started out of the blue, after I transported the bike for about 12 hours on my truck.  I changed altitude from 645 meters to sea level.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?  This all happened when I'm on a road trip and I'm semistranded.

Yegster

• View Profile
Re: Sputtering engine
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
... And I just took it for a test drive, and now it's running perfectly.  After fiddling with it for two days, it was cured by sitting overnight.  I believe that witchcraft is involved. 

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
... And I just took it for a test drive, and now it's running perfectly.  After fiddling with it for two days, it was cured by sitting overnight.  I believe that witchcraft is involved.

Did you get water into the airbox, have an overflowing puke tube, or run it accidentally with the choke on?

Yegster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
No water in air box, empty puke tube.  Pretty sure it was crud in the carb and/or bad gas.  Copious amounts of carb cleaner down wolfie's gullet plus a glug of seafoam in the tank plus a few hours cured everything.  Thank you o motorcycle gods.

SCdental

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
I have been having the exact same issue...I wish the motorcycle gods would bless me the same way.
2012 SYM Wolf classic 150
2017 Bintelli Sprint 50

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
Over the years a lot of folks have had a problem with their new Wolf not running right .

Mine ran funky as well when I first got it. I tried FI cleaner in the gas along with other chemicals...
Some of the oldtimers here said "Pull the jets out of the carb and clean them with carb cleaner, run a fine copper wire through all the holes in the jets and finally wash them in hot soap & water".
I did that and the bike ran like new....
Once you've done it the first time you can remove and clean the jets in 15 mins.
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

SCdental

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »
Doing it tomorrow PapaBear! I've been studying the YouTube video for a couple days now. New regulator comes in tomorrow. Then I can finally stop driving my Camry!
2012 SYM Wolf classic 150
2017 Bintelli Sprint 50