Author Topic: Not powerful enough?  (Read 193 times)

valentina

• View Profile
Not powerful enough?
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:08:35 PM »
Hi guys!

I'm going to buy my first bike in the next months. I'm a 5'2" girl, I weight about 100 lb, therefore, as you can imagine, I can't start with a heavy bike! So that's why I immediately felt the sym wolf 150 like the perfect match for me. But there's a problem : I've been told that it's not the best option for highways and I don't really have any idea of riding for long trips, but I live in Berkeley and to reach San Francisco I HAVE TO cross the bay on the Oakland Bay Bridge, which is a section of the Interstate 80 - maximum speed allowed should be 40 miles per hour. Do you think I could ride my bike there or I need a more powerful bike?

I'm also considering the Suzuki TU250x (I found it used and already registered in CA)...any opinion would be great!

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
Re: Not powerful enough?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Here's a comparison.(below) Can you take them both for test ride and see what you prefer? The wolf runs all day at 50 or 60 mph. I weigh 160 with all gear. I would also say it's buzzy at those speeds. A 250cc won't be.
https://canadamotoguide.com/2013/07/29/suzuki-tu250x-and-sym-wolf-150-comparo/

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
Welcome Valentina !

On my Wolf I swapped out the rear 40 tooth sprocket for a 35.
 A 100 lb 5' 2" rider could run 65 mph quite comfortably all day long with that set-up.
I think you'd find the Wolf has ample power for you.
If you are planning on riding "2 up" regularly I'd go with the Suzuki.

I also have a 650 Suzuki S40 and I ride the Wolf twice as often as the S40.

Bob
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:47 AM »
Go with the used Suzuki that's CA registered already! You'll get the benefits of better customer service options at Suzuki dealerships and better parts and accessory options and if one dealer is not to your liking then you can go to another without penalty! It's also a bit more powerful bike, "there's no replacement for displacement"! ;)
Ride like a Klingon....

Mr. OX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
I am 6'2 and 225 lbs. I used to ride my wolf to work using a 65mph highway for most of the trip with zero trouble.
It won't be an issue for you!
2012 Sym Wolf, 1974 MZ TS250, early 1950s Soviet M72, 1967 Triumph Bonneville, 1971 BMW R75/5, 1978 BMW R100s.

_codybarker_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
I swapped out the stock 16 tooth sprocket for 17 tooth and cruise easily at 65 on my 50 mile daily commutes.  It could probably still do 60-65 easily with the stock sprocket.  I'm 125lbs and its great on Oregon's highways (max speed limits are 55-65mph)

rick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »
Hi guys!

I'm going to buy my first bike in the next months. I'm a 5'2" girl, I weight about 100 lb, therefore, as you can imagine, I can't start with a heavy bike! So that's why I immediately felt the sym wolf 150 like the perfect match for me. But there's a problem : I've been told that it's not the best option for highways and I don't really have any idea of riding for long trips, but I live in Berkeley and to reach San Francisco I HAVE TO cross the bay on the Oakland Bay Bridge, which is a section of the Interstate 80 - maximum speed allowed should be 40 miles per hour. Do you think I could ride my bike there or I need a more powerful bike?

I'm also considering the Suzuki TU250x (I found it used and already registered in CA)...any opinion would be great!

I am 240 lbs and can reach 55 MPH. It feels stable and safe. If you weigh 100lbs, then this is the perfect bike for you. It is low and very light. I have owned a TU250X and it was also a very nice bike. It is a lot bigger bike but it still very light too. If you are buying a new Wolf and have dealer support, buy the wolf. If not, I would buy the TU250 just because parts are all over and the Wolf are special order. The Wolf is basically a Honda so it should not have any problems unless it was not maintained. I have ridden mine all over the city for 1hour+ without problems. I will not ride it on the highway because the speed limit is 75 MPH and it will never reach that. The TU250X can reach 90MPH...

briankay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
Hi Valentina,
I just bought a Sym Wolf last month at SF Moto, and live just east of you in Orinda. I haven't taken it out on the highway yet: one salesman at SF Moto said, "don't!" and the other said, "it's fine, just plan on being the slowest person on the road." I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs, so you yourself might do just fine at highway speeds (which rarely reach 65mph around here, especially at rush hour, am I right? :).  I will say that I was most worried about power when going up some of our insanely steep hills around here, but I've found that to be no problem (though sometimes I have to stay in second gear).  In the end, I'm finding it to be a REALLY fun, light, nimble, and nice-looking motorcycle, and you wouldn't risk too much by buying a new one, even if you decided to sell it in a year to upgrade to more power.  Just some thoughts! 
Brian Kay,
Orinda, CA

DaveyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »
Hi and welcome!
I am 6' and weigh 230, aside from looking like the circus bear on the mini bicycle find that both bikes have enough power and can go on a highway. Both are super light and fun, you can't go wrong either way.  I would give the nod to the tux if you are commuting or regularly have to go on the highway, go with the wolf if you are mainly on back roads. Best of luck!
Wolf Classic 150, Suzuki TU250x