Author Topic: I may soon be the owner of a CityCom scooter  (Read 572 times)

pattomike

• View Profile
I may soon be the owner of a CityCom scooter
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »
Hello, I found a 2013 City Com for sale with low miles, and if things go well, I will be buying it next week. I had been in the market for an SYM HD 200 or a Buddy 170. We have only one scooter dealer in the area where I live (not counting Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha, which let's face it, have a terrible selection of scooters). This scooter dealer is licensed for Sym and Genuine. But they have neither of the two aforementioned scooters! It's not that they are sold out, rather they just didn't order any! They have Fiddle 111s and a couple of Buddy 125s. Pathetic selection. Recently I have found three promising scooters on CL. All three are still available. One is a 2013 Sym Citycom with 740 miles on it, and other is an SYM HD 200 with 7000 miles on it, and the last is a 2008 Buddy 150 with 2000 miles on it. The prices are $2600, $1900, and $1250 respectively. What do you think? I am leaning towards the Citycom even though it is a bigger scooter than I initially wanted. But it seems like a great deal. I am going to use it to commute to work. I do not take the highway to work. I take two lane roads, and work is 7 miles from where I live. Aside from that, I will be using it to go to Walmart to get cat food, and taking it out for fun rides in the evening. I have only owned one scooter previously, and it was a Buddy 150, and it was a blast to ride. So nimble and tossable. I doubt I will be tossing the Citycom around. Not sure about the HD 200. I haven't had the privilege yet of sitting on either the City or the HD. Any thoughts on my message towards helping me decide is greatly appreciated. I am a 56 year old man, 6 1 inch, and 190 pounds. The Buddy was a good fit for me, I thought. The neighbors may have thought differently..

• View Profile
Re: I may soon be the owner of a CityCom scooter
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »
The HD200 which I have is extremely fun in town. Once the stock tires are ditched you are really rail in the corners and it will meet every power expectation you have or need for in city riding. For the occasional freeway run the HD is good for the slow 2 lanes on the right.

The citycom would be hard to turn down at 740 miles and 2600 dollars, what a bargain. Never ridden one. Personally I would not buy a scooter over 360-370 pds. I had a Yamaha Majesty before a tank of a scooter at something like 470pds. Awesome on the freeway but in town ,  not that flickable off the freeway.

The HD is the best compromise but from the 3 bikes you listed not the best value.

pattomike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:34:14 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I think you nailed it perfectly. I have ruled out the Buddy. It might be fun for fun's sake. But I don't think it is something I would look forward to riding after I got off of work, and had to commute home. I think I want something a little more substantial yet fun for the ride home. I think instinctively that the HD 200 is the perfect size bike for me, or perhaps the PCX 150 Honda. I am not comfortable buying a scooter with 6500 miles on it, which is what the HD 200 has. I know that's not a lot, but often times you can find scooters with an insanely low mileage. For example, the aforementioned, CityCom with 420 miles. If only I could find a different HD 200 on CL.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 04:22:58 AM »
The Citycoms not much bigger than the HD and few ever bitch about having a few extra ponies.

AMAC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
But based on $$$ numbers alone the Citycom makes the most sense. The bottom of its value is pretty reaches. Ride it for thousands of more miles and sell it for a few hundred less. Its a fuel injected ride which will help with resale vs the carb HD200.

pattomike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
But based on $$$ numbers alone the Citycom makes the most sense. The bottom of its value is pretty reaches. Ride it for thousands of more miles and sell it for a few hundred less. Its a fuel injected ride which will help with resale vs the carb HD200.

I did not realize the HD is a carb engine. I read closely the review of the Citycom on Justgottascoot. He said the HD is quicker up to 20mph. He said the Citycom has a nice mid range accerlation, but didn't say whether the mid range acceleration was quicker than the HD. What bothers me is the freaking weight. It's over 400 pounds. He compared it to a People 300 and a Piaggio 300 (sorry I can't remember what their names were exactly). Both of these scooters weighed considerably less than the Citycom, and had considerably more horsepower. Their hp was 29 compared to the Citycom's 21. So this irks me a little bit. But on the other hand, those two scooters are 1) considerably more expensive, and 2) not for sale in my area either new or used. I doubt I will get the 2014 HD with 6500 miles for $1900 (his lowest price). I will most likely get the 2013 Citycom with 740 miles for 2600. I just hope I don't wish it was faster. I haven't yet been able to ride it. We won't meet til tomorrow.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
In that 300ish class, the older Citycom, & the Forza are kinda the dogs for power, but both good bikes.
The newer Citycom (2016+) is right there with the GTI300, & DT300i.  The BV at 350cc is in a class by itself; albeit it's looking for 92 octane gas, & has it's quirks.

That said the older Citycom, & the HD will do 70ish so aren't too awful for speed.  Ride it for a while if you want more speed upgrades are common and available with lots of good choices.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:04:34 AM »
Interesting the Kymco "200s" are 163cc air cooled motors. Sturdy but a bit poky when compared to the SYM 171 liquid cooled best in its class beast.

Now at 300 the Kymcos beat the SYM in power and weight to HP. At 299cc and 367lbs for the DT300 is hard to beat. Also as stated beats the forza in those numbers.

Weight is the main reason I bought the DT300.
That said I'd take the Citycom deal in a heartbeat.

AMAC

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:42:21 AM »
The Kymco "200" is a 163 2 valve air-cooled.  Tough as nails, & 50 lb's lighter than the HD.  I rode one across the country.
I then repaired my SYM, down at a bad time with fuel system issues I couldn't get sorted in time, & sold the Kymco.
Simply put.  The SYM has enough more oomph and is reliable enough that I preferred it greatly over the S200.  I just got hit with a case of very very bad timing for that issue.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:47:35 PM by Tromper »
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
The Citycom has sat for 4 years. The HD200 has been ridden. Granted , you'll want to change the belt on the HD in 5000 miles or so, but I'd still choose the HD over a bike that's just sat. Who knows what critter's moved inside, gnawing on wires and stuff?

trying59

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
as an citycom owner of sym  I would say  dont buy one .   Mine sitting waiting for me to fix the shit that comes with the cheapness of sym once you go beyond the engine.  SYM using the cheapest parts they can get  . The wiring loom uses the thinness gage of wire they can get away with.  The switches  like the starter are just cheap of the cheapest .  You can buy the whole set of switches lights etc for about 5 bucks with shipping for china .  They are the same once sym uses.   At 2600 bucks  I would say  get a Japan scooter 200 cc scooter at that price point.   Honda helix  200cc  $800 to 1500  . burgman 200cc  2 grand  ,  Honda Reflex  1200-2000$  ,  Yamaha  made some 200cc scooters    .   A honda 300 cc Forza  can be found for 3 grand .   
I know I m going to get other sym I m owners riding to defended sym but I one bleeping piss off owner .    Want to rebuild your brake ?   SYM wants you to buy the whole thing instead of selling pistions and seals etc.    Dont buy a citycom go with Japan.   Buy a helix , pcx 150 save 1200 bucks  and use that cash to go on a trip.  The honda pcx 150 get 100 mpg.

citycom1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »
Writing to balance out trying59's (the previous post) seemingly terrible experience with his Citycom with my personal experience and opinion as a scooter owner:
The Citycom has been a really good and reliable scooter for me.
I put 10000 miles on a new 2009 and have about 2400 miles on my 2016 Citycom S.  Both 100% reliable--engine, brakes, lights and switchgear.  Chose to replace the brake pads (EMS Organic) and tires (Pirelli Diablo) around 6500 miles. Looking forward to those upgrades when the times comes. 
Citycom 300 starts and stops and rides more like a motorcycle to me, with the scooter advantage of all the storage under the seat and my E45 topcase.
Regarding the smaller bikes, they are quick.  So is the Citycom. However,  I like the torque of the slightly bigger engine.  Better at staying in the traffic gaps or riding two-up with my wife.
To me the only performance downside of the Citycom is it sits taller and weighs a little more.  Those are advantages for me.  Something to consider.  Test sit or test ride it.
My experience with scooter durability is they are under-stressed and as hardy as anything with an engine.  I would not worry about a bike that sat for a little while and looked good.  Just give it a proper TLC prep and put it back on the road.
I have well over 200,000 miles on bikes--mostly Gold Wings and BMW's.  Got my first scooter, a Vespa P200E, in 1981 for $1000 new, when larger 2-strokes were being taken off the market.  It easily was a joy the 1000 mile ride from Denver back to Chicago in 2 days-- including slower break-in speeds and an oil change.  Then a Honda Elite 150 Deluxe, 3 1985 Elite 250's and a 250 Reflex.  A 2009 and now a 2016 Citycom.  For comparison to some of the high mileage bikes I have seen on the pages, none of mine had over 12000 miles.
All with bulletproof reliability. 
I would not be concerned with a new or 3-4 year old scooter--or a  Sym Citycom.  Get nice example with the features you like.  In my opinion, scooters are all magic carpet rides.  :)  Enjoy

PS  For experience sake, I have had the privilege of riding the HD 200, PC150, Burgman 400-650, Genuine Buddy 150-170, Stella 150, Aprilia Scarabero 350,the 250-400-500 Piaggio 3-wheelers, Yamaha Majesty, Vespa 150-250-300.  I am not in the industry.  Just like bikes.  All fun bikes.
Look both ways and do not trust anyone ;D :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:25:09 PM by citycom1 »