Author Topic: Accident report  (Read 193 times)

Yegster

• View Profile
Accident report
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
Spring is here, and just yesterday I was reading the forum, wondering if I would have reason to post this year.  Two hours later, I was lying in the middle of an intersection.  Let me tell you about it.

I was turning left from a side street onto a busy street/highway.  It was rush hour so I felt obliged to hurry on up and I was close (too close) to the car turning left ahead of me.  That car hit the brakes just as he completed his turn.  I hit my brakes as I was still turning, there was some gravel on the road and my front tire slid.  Down I went at 10 or 15 MPH.  My first wipeout on a street bike.

The good news is, if you're going to do this, the Wolf 150 is a good bike for it.  :)  Light weight is your friend in this situation.  Recovery was not much different from similar wipeouts on a bicycle.  I was able to quickly get up, lift the bike, restart it and get out of the way.

On the negative side, I think the divey front fork on the Wolf contributed to the spill.  Not as much as my aggressive riding and lack of subtlety on the brake, but still, we all know that front end is touchy.

Observations: I got really bad "tunnel vision" after I went down.  Not literally, but the stress really lowered my situational awareness.  I was not as clued into traffic as I should have been.  I was compelled to get that bike up and get back on it.  In hindsight I should have been looking for danger as I recovered.

I always find Edmonton drivers are polite and attentive to riders but on this occasion people are great.  A lady blocked traffic with her car and asked me if I was OK.  People gave me room.  I wish I could thank them.

The compulsion to move also led me to ride away without checking the roadworthiness of the bike.  Maybe it was a good idea to get out of the intersection but I should have immediately stopped after that.  Instead I rode for 5 KMs home with a mirror hanging off, without knowing if I had functioning brakes, etc.

At home I found i had a little road rash on my left elbow and knee, my right knee (not sure how) and various cuts and scrapes.  No pain for a couple hours, then I was unable to walk for the rest of the evening due to the knee.  Today I'm a little sore but OK.

The bike is almost unscathed.  Scrapes on the mirror and headlight, a small dent in the gas tank.  Both front and rear turn signals apparently got folded very hard yet they are hardly damaged.  How those signals can crack and sag from simple age and yet survive folding and scraping is beyond me.

Lessons learned: I am going to leave a lot more room in front of me, especially when turning at an intersection.  And I will not assume a car in my way will get out of my way.  I will not be touching that front brake in hard turns any more if I can possibly avoid it.  And I might invest in an armoured jacket.  Denim did fine this time but I was going slow.

Oh, and I rode into work today.  Gotta get right back on the horse!

Wish me luck  :)

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
Re: Accident report
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:24:56 PM »
That sounds absolutely nasty. A reminder even a small bike is going to hurt when taking a fall. Glad you're relatively unscathed. I was just thinking the other day of changing the viscosity of the fork oil to firm up the divey forks. I then reminded myself that it's that's the old school charm of the bike, not thinking it could get me in trouble in the future. Let me know if you need help tracking down some replacement parts. Some people like battle scars, some don't. Take care.
Edit: Posted on a teeny-tiny android phone. Missing particles and whatnot. Fixed, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:23:20 AM by ChairmanMaose »

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:21 AM »
That really sucks. I'm glad you're okay and getting back on the horse so quickly.

As for the divey forks, a lot of that is from the fact that the disc brake is so strong. I've dropped a motorbike a couple of times now, and luckily they've also all been at low speeds. When you're in a turn, you cannot divide your traction by grabbing a handful of front brake. That is a guaranteed drop, unfortunately (all my drops, early on, were of this variety). Leaned over + front brake = spill. That reminds me I should probably brush up on my emergency braking skills. Maybe I should take a private class with a local moto-school, so I can drop their bikes instead of my own :)

Shiny side up, folks.

Yegster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »
I have changed my fork oil and it did help reduce dive.

I think ktran hit the nail on the head, you can't grab front brake while turning.  I think I would have had problems on any non abs bike.

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »
Searching for the old 'Traction Pie' diagram..(it's down? Probably locked the front wheel while in a turn 😜)

But saw this... https://books.google.com/books?id=yG4oAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=traction+pie&source=bl&ots=DlM_-_hvyi&sig=kUsL3HZgmv8sie7pkqrxV6g_KmA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW-ZfsnKLUAhUC5GMKHdkfAUAQ6AEIWjAP#v=onepage&q=traction%20pie&f=false

Looks like several factors were involved and you already have that figured out and are ready for the next time.

Definitely invest in an armoured jacket.

Be aware that many, if not most companies cheap-out on the piece of armour (back protector) that slides into the back of the jacket... Consider an immediate upgrade on this 1 piece (you may notice a certification such as 'CE' for the shoulder and elbow armour and nothing for the back)

Maybe one day with ABS, traction control and whatever this Witchcraft is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VH60-R8MOKo falling down will become obsolete...or at least maybe your bike could follow you home if you did fall and were too upset to ride it. 🙃

Adding..since you're up there with the Oilers and I happened to be at this game, when the Kings wore Lakers colors and played at the Forum in Inglewood.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWwotOz3dN0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:17:44 PM by redridinghood »

Yegster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
Watching old NHL games sure makes you see how much faster and more aggressive the game has become!

I went to the new Rogers Stadium to watch an Oilers away playoff game on the big screen.  The arena was full.  Tickets were getting scalped.  Crowd was awesome.

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »
I dumped a 72 motoguzzi eldo at a 4 way stop when a lady ran a stop sign once and it fell on its engine bars which got a bit scraped other than that no scuffs on me or the bike! I dumped a honda 90 in 1968 going around a turn in a quick thunder shower in Austin Tx that caused the oil from the road rise and coat the surface of the road, slid on my back but was protected by a leather jacket at the time! Careful in rain showers when road conditions change! (just my two cents) I've dumped bikes numerous times in the dirt and never hurt myself or the bikes very much! It's always been a fun ride except for that 4 way stop coulda killed my scrawny butt!
Ride like a Klingon....