Author Topic: Should I continue spending money on a 25,000 mile HD200?  (Read 394 times)

youngster

• View Profile
Should I continue spending money on a 25,000 mile HD200?
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
I have a lot of miles on this scooter and it has served me well. I have been unable to solve an overheating problem though and am looking at over $500 for the repair shop to replace the entire cooling system.

After a certain amount of miles one reaches a point where a vehicle becomes a money pit, fixing one thing after another. I may be at that point.

Has anyone out there gotten significantly more than 25K miles on their HD200?

david23

• View Profile
Re: Should I continue spending money on a 25,000 mile HD200?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
I have over 15,000 miles on mine, it's a 2015 HD 200 and as I've mentioned in the best scooter segment which no one has responded to, probably because it's a non issue topic and the people on forum's usually have issues with their vehicles and are looking to get a resolution But anyway, if the dealer where you bought this scooter or another independent mechanic who knows about these vehicles can't find the problem, I would probably sell it or donate it for a tax benefit I plan to keep mine until the very end

When mine finally gives out, it that ever happens, I might get either another HD200 or the Fiddle 3 This one is air cooled and has great retro styling Well good luck and ride with a lot of care Later

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
I have a lot of miles on this scooter and it has served me well. I have been unable to solve an overheating problem though and am looking at over $500 for the repair shop to replace the entire cooling system.

After a certain amount of miles one reaches a point where a vehicle becomes a money pit, fixing one thing after another. I may be at that point.

Has anyone out there gotten significantly more than 25K miles on their HD200?

All pretty much a numbers game. Assuming they guarantee that'll fix it that gives a starting point (if they don't then it's possible the number could go higher), but then you need to judge things like whether it's coming up on tires, fork oil, & brakes too, the body's beat and you'd like something shinier. 
Then, if the numbers are close either way & you're not a sentimental sort I'd take a look around at low miles used (factor in tires, fluids etc too as appropriate, & scope out what I could get a new one for.
If the numbers aren't close. then there's your answer of course.

Of course if you are sentimental, or if the color's one you can't get anymore or some other factor I ain't thinking of, those play in too.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
100% positive it's overheating and maybe not a bad temp gauge sending unit? (False temp readings at the gauge)

If it really is overheating, have you checked for a faulty thermostat that might not be opening when it should?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:10:24 PM by redridinghood »

youngster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
The shop I took my scooter to said they stopped selling SYM because they found that so many of them were having issues with the cooling system. Lots of gunk and corrosion going on throughout the entire system.

I did a really solid coolant flush and replaced the radiator fan switch. Still overheating...

I did ask the shop to replace the entire thermostat assembly, but he warned me that every HD200 he has worked on needed everything replaced to really solve the corrosion problem because too much damage has typically been done to the water pump and the radiator as well.

The reason for my initial question was really an effort to find out how many miles one should expect on these scooters. I'm already at 25,000. I have no problem replacing the entire cooling system if it means I can continue to ride this thing for many more miles. But I'm not hearing from any other posters that they are getting more than 25,000 miles. That doesn't give me confidence.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:34:09 AM by youngster »

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »
It's a different brand, I know, but I know of several people who have ridden 40,000+ miles on their air-cooled Genuine Buddy (PGO Ligero or BuBu). Your water cooled HD200 should go more than that.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
The shop I took my scooter to said they stopped selling SYM because they found that so many of them were having issues with the cooling system. Lots of gunk and corrosion going on throughout the entire system.

Not sure about the later ones, I'd heard it was better, but your experience would contraindicate that; however on the ones from my vintage step A is drop the coolant, do a flush and fill if it has any miles on it (did this with both after I learned this).  Step B is to replace the stock tires if you don't live in a hot environment, they gripped poorly in cooler weather, particularly on wet roads.  Wear like iron though since the compound is hard.

I had no issues after flushing them; although apparently I failed in bleeding since one of them needed some coolant after I did that (Had a good mechanic check it out for it's yearly tune up)  Seems to be running fine after that.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650