Author Topic: FED UP >:(  (Read 609 times)

Rhashad

• View Profile
FED UP >:(
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
After months of not being able to ride my bike, then finally trying to clean my carbs myself, but still not resolving my issue and lastly attempting to take my bike to a shop, however I now don't have a way of transporting my bike to the shop! I've come to the conclusion that it's divine intervention that is forcing me to fix whatever problem that I'm having with my bike myself. Although, I've already tried, I figured that my bike can't get any worse than it is now, being that it won't start so I might as well go all out with it and see what else the problem might be. I'm going to purchase a new carburetor, spark plugs, air filters, and battery to try and see if any of that works! I'm not 100% sure how to install most of the parts aside from the carburetor and battery, but I will learn! I can't go another sunny day seeing other people on their motorcycle while mines literally collects dust! I saw a thick spiderweb all over my windshield yesterday, lol! I would just like to know where exactly can I purchase these items that I need through a link, so I can start my own repair work this weekend! Thanks in advance!

Original Link to the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_l-xfPo418

1. Carburetor

2. Spark Plugs

3. Battery (A different brand from the one I purchased before that was recommended from the forums, I've had it for about a month and it doesn't work anymore :S)

4. Air Filters (If this matters any, but might as well get a new)

5. A new throttle (Handle Bar)

6. Any other part needed that might be the reason my bike will not start.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:30:08 AM by Rhashad »

HelloPitty

• View Profile
Re: FED UP >:(
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
I would start with the battery.
The battery shown here is supposedly the same one that they are shipped with:

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/batteryyuasa12n5-3b.aspx

It apparently arrives without acid.  You can take it to an auto parts store and they might fill it for you.
I bought acid from an auto parts store and did it myself after watching YouTube videos.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:36:46 PM by HelloPitty »
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
Assuming the Symba can be kickstarted and run with a dead battery, disregard it not firing with the electric starter.

The throttle not returning..

I'd unscrew the top of the carburetor and make sure the needle is correctly centered and in the main jet holder, the throttle cable is properly routed and attached to the slide, the slide return spring isn't somehow bound-up by the throttle cable, the slide is oriented correctly (likely only goes in 1 way)

(Wondering if you're trying to start the bike and the carburetor is at WOT, Wide Open Throttle)

With it all assembled like in these photos with the slide removed, the slide return spring should close the throttle http://www.motopsyco.com/2012/07/30/dirt-bike-carburetor-101-part-1-how-to-clean-a-single-cylinder-motorcycle-or-atv-carb/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:57:49 PM by redridinghood »

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
Rhashad,
I have a spare new NGK Spark Plug I'll send you, just PM me your address and I'll have it in route to you tomorrow.

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
Thanks for the links everyone! I'll look into those sites. Also, thanks HelloPitty! Wasn't sure what type of spark plug I should get for my bike, but I'm pm you!

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
When you put the throttle back together on the carb did you bake sure the notch on the slide was lined up? It sure looks like that is the problem when your throttle
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
Thanks for that bit of advice IB, you're right! I forgot to mention in the video link that about a week later I played around with the carbs re connection again and sure enough I didn't reconnect it right, so it was jamming the release of the throttle. However, with the kick starter it now does this thing where it sounds like it's going to start up, but just briefly sparks up, after that nothing. The electric starter is completely gone... So, could this possibly just be a spark plug issue? I don't see any other solution. Should I change the old gas that's in the tank; which I never took out yet, but I did added new gas to the tank with seafoam. Should I just completely drain all the gas and start new with a mix of seafoam to the tank? Thanks for your input IB!

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 07:08:14 AM »
Alright, so I've done some rework on my bike after receiving all the advice given to me from the forum members and this is where I stand now.

Link 1: https://youtu.be/77TH0z8JQ0I

Link 2: https://youtu.be/1qrFVcXq0fQ
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:17:20 AM by Rhashad »

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
The oil you put on the air filter After cleaning it, is to catch more dirt.

Sticky throttle

Sometimes the grip on the throttle can rub on the handlebar switch. Is there a plastic disc between the grip and the switch? No? If the grip is contacting the handlebar switch, try pulling the grip away slightly.

Check the throttle cable routing and make sure there are no extreme bends (kinks) in it.

If the bike has fallen on the right side, the plastic throttle sleeve under the grip can get cracked and cause binding.

You know how the throttle cable goes into the carburetor... If you removed it 1 more time, you'll have access to the end of the cable to put some oil in it and can do so while holding it above the level of the handle bars, so the oil will flow downhill to the entire cable. 

The battery being dead is no surprise. The electric starter being used repeatedly without the engine ever running to recharge it...

Walmart likely has a '1 Amp' battery charger for a decent price.

After checking obvious and easy things like fuel delivery to the carburetor, remove the spark plug, reconnect it to the spark plug wire, rest the ground electrode (the 'L' shaped part at the bottom) against the engine, turn the key on and kick it over...Do you have spark? A big, fat, blue spark?

Inside a dark garage is better for seeing this...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:14:26 AM by redridinghood »

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
I think you're going to know a lot about your Symba once you get it going.
Don't give up, keep at it.

In video #1, you point to the gas filter then state that it is loose going into the other end. That other end is going into the carburetor, so it does need to be snug at that other end.

You mentioned you adjusted the valves.  You've ridden it since then, yes?  I only ask because valves are complex...just a little bit out of adjustment can make a bike not run.

Your spark plug did need changed.  Glad you got that done.
I still suspect the battery.

I also suspect that the gas isn't flowing properly, like maybe a bent hose.  Someone once had a bent hose near the bottom of the tank.  I'd save this step for last, but something to keep in mind.

Steps I'd take are:

1) Make sure the fuel hose is securely in the carburetor.
2) Install the battery.
3) Consider that the valve job might need redone.
4) Chase down a bent fuel hose as a possiblility.

Eventually you need to install a manual petcock. 

Again, stay with it.  Your bike will run again.

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »
@redridinghood That's EXACTLY what happened sometime early last year. The bike did fall on it's side, not hard as I caught myself, but couldn't hold up and fell at the last minute, but still it has fallen on the side where the throttle is. I will see if I can utilize your technique you've recommended.

What do you mean when you say, "kick it over" in reference to the spark plug?

@redridinghood Oh, one more thing about the air filter. Would you say that the air filter I currently have is still some good once I clean it out and add more oil to it on both sides or does it look like it's time for me to buy a new one? If so, where can I purchase an air filter specifically made for the Symba110? Also, do I do anything with the air filter unit itself, or just put the air filter back into the air filter unit and that's that?

@HelloPitty Yes, this other end is going into the carburetor, but it still feels too loose, like if I was riding and hit a bump the hose would pop out and gas would spew everywhere on my engine. I'll see if I can readjust it by moving the air filter out the way if possible, it's a hard spot to get to and that cord wrapped around the hose doesn't make it any easier. I have little to no finger space to get it snug onto the carburetor as it was before.

Yes, I adjusted the valves... Spent an whole day doing it in fact to make sure I was doing it right, afterwards I did not ride my bike though as it would still cut off. However, this is before I messed with the carburetor so the bike actually would start up better than it does now.

Yes, the spark plugs I felt did need changing too after looking at the old one. That's been in there since I bought the bike in 2015! I'm thankful to be learning all of these mechanics being done to my bike as well. I feel like my bike will be up and running very soon once I pin point the culprit of the problem! My battery should be fully charged by today, I left it at the battery store and will be picking it back up today! I'll give further update once I get this done. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:58:47 AM by Rhashad »

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
Rhashad,
Since the bike did fall over (I didn't know that), be sure you do an oil change, or you've possibly done it since then.
I say this because gas can get into the oil.  Since oil is inexpensive (relatively speaking), it's cheap insurance to just do the oil change.

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »
Kick it over = use the kickstarter...

This is a simple way to check 1 of the 3 things your engine needs to start and run: SPARK

By 'grounding' the removed but connected spark plug to the engine, we are mimicking it when it's installed in the engine, plus having the benefit of watching for spark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dFSasN8WQl4 Of course you'll use the kickstarter to do this...

FUEL and COMPRESSION would be the other 2 of 3 things your engine needs to start and run.

Your foam air filter looks like it's not torn and fine to reuse.

You can clean out any dirt and debris from the air filter box
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:56:37 AM by redridinghood »

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
@HelloPitty I already did an oil change when that happened last year. Also, yesterday I did a new oil change, cleaned the air filter and put it back in, got my battery back fully charged, however upon reinstalling the battery (Very annoying) one of the bolts fell either in the bike or on the ground somewhere so I was unable to completely finish reinstalling my battery. I have to go and get another bolt from the store sometime this week to finish the install. That's where I am as of right now. Again, I still feel uncomfortable about the one hose that connects to the carburetor I illustrated in the video, it's just too loose. Why would this hose be this lose when it wasn't like this before I removed it to clean the carburetor and how can I fix this? One last thing, I've never changed the engine oil before, not to be confused with the motor oil. Where on the bike would I change the engine oil and could this possibly have anything to do with the current condition of my bike not starting? Other than that, that's where I'm at right now and all I've done to my bike so far.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:04:15 PM by Rhashad »

beltho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Changing the oil is changing the engine oil. The Symba doesn't need its gear oil changed separately as some scooters do.

I hear you on the battery install. The space there is VERY tight and it can be a pain to get the battery back in. If you haven't already, I suggest adding a pigtail to the battery to make charging easier (you can leave the battery in this way).
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
2009 Kymco People 150
1983 Honda CT 110