Author Topic: Exhaust sound  (Read 241 times)

T6R

• View Profile
Exhaust sound
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »
I saw this video for a Honda grom on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHLjpvNx-vU) and i decided that my wolf needs to sound like this. Is that easy to achieve?

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
Re: Exhaust sound
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
I saw this video for a Honda grom on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHLjpvNx-vU) and i decided that my wolf needs to sound like this. Is that easy to achieve?

An exhaust basically a tuned pipe, like a horn. The shape and length determines the resonant frequency, and the baffling/packing controls the sound volume and character, in addition to things like backpressure. This latter thing is of some importance for performance.

My little Honda C100 Super Cub had its exhaust baffle removed by a previous owner, and it sounds *mean*, but the tuning is a bit weird on it, I'm sure. The engine displacement is 1/3 the size of my Wolf, but it sounds louder and angrier.

To get a louder exhaust, you could just try a slip-on muffler (read: cut existing muffler and weld or clamp new muffler onto your header pipe). You'll probably no longer be street legal, but the a lot of slip-on mufflers don't have catalytic converters and have less packing in them.

MC Garage put out a great video on exhausts, and why stock exhausts actually deserve more respect than they get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCIIDSYJLc

These guys also put Yoshimura exhausts on their Groms and stunt with them.

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
California scooter co. Just looks like a straight pipe to me. But it's loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvZghwRFvo

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
..... Just my two cents but that sounds like a crappy four wheeler. Not sure I would want my bike sounding like that.
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

T6R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:21:18 PM »
from what i read the stock exhaust doesn't have anything in it at all. The one i was looking at sounds chunkier than the csc exhaust and almost sounds like a twin cylinder engine. that's why i liked it.

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
from what i read the stock exhaust doesn't have anything in it at all. The one i was looking at sounds chunkier than the csc exhaust and almost sounds like a twin cylinder engine. that's why i liked it.

You are mistaken. For a stock exhaust to pass noise and environmental regulations, and to supply the backpressure the engine needs, it has to have a baffle, a catalytic converter, and sound-muffling packing.

You also can't get a twin-cylinder sound without a second cylinder, although, as I mention above, you influence the resonant frequency of the pipe with its length and shape. The CSC muffler in the video doesn't sound very good, because it's nothing more than a short, straight pipe without any muffling, really. Cam sells a trumpet-style exhaust that should sound louder (and is lighter) than the one that comes on our bikes. Personally, I like the 60s-style bottle-type exhaust. It reminds me of a Triumph pipe, or the ones that were my 1966 Honda 305 Dream.

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
I don't mind the look of the stock pipe other than the ugly guard :( wish their was a good way to make it look better. One day I'll just get one of cams.
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

ChairmanMaose

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »
I don't mind the look of the stock pipe other than the ugly guard :( wish their was a good way to make it look better. One day I'll just get one of cams.
I saw a stainless steel guard and it looked great. The plastic guard cheapens the bike.