Author Topic: What Battery to Buy for my 2014 SYM RV200 EVO?  (Read 313 times)

CarefulRider

• View Profile
What Battery to Buy for my 2014 SYM RV200 EVO?
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
Hello good people:

I left the scooter battery untended this past winter, and now, it will no longer hold a charge  ???. So I have to get a replacement battery  ::).

I read that many of you have replaced the battery. I don't know what to get. I have read about three batteries  :-\:
YT12A-BS
YTX9-BS
GTX9-BS

Am I supposed to acquire a 12V 8Ah, 12V 9Ah, 12V 10Ah, or 12V 12Ah battery?

I have neither accessed nor opened the battery compartment; so I don't know the physical dimensions of battery that the compartment will hold. I have read that it is hard to get to the battery compartment, but have not read a procedure on how it's done.

Please help, if you know which battery I should get.
Don't grow old; & choose your parents well

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: What Battery to Buy for my 2014 SYM RV200 EVO?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »
Wish I could tell ya for sure, but I think you're going to have to take a look.
First off, any 12 volt bike/powersports battery will probably do.  As long as it fits.

The YT12-BS is for the RV250.
It's 6" x 3.4375" x 5.125" per the YUASA site.
The YTX9-BS is for the HD.
It's 6" x 3.4375" x 4.1875"
Per their site, so different sizes.
I cannot find a reference for the RV200 for it's size or dimensions but you might be able to do so poking around, but my two bits is you have to pull it at some point anyway.  I read here http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rv200-evo-battery-replacement-fail.963460/
That ya have to pull the pet carrier and do a few screws.  a PITA but it won't kill ya.

Some folks say get the biggest battery that'll fit.  This does make some sense.
Personally for my HDs I just used the OEM size to avoid having to mess around maximizing the battery.
I picked up a decent jumpkit to make up for any issues.  So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5U5VG/
That's what I picked up for one of my HDs.  Works fine.  You can buy the 12-bs the same way.

You do have to add the acid to this one yourself (but that way you know it's fresh), so you'd need a way to charge at.
I used a 2amp charger I have kicking around on this an one for my burgman.  Worked fine; although it's a bit high for this one per the YUASA instructions.   If you poke around online you get much less conservative estimates on chargers for this purpose.  The 2 amp was in line with those; although it was the upper end.  The big concern when doing that is to not overheat/boil the battery.

You can also buy a battery pre-filled (but how long was it sitting that way?) or get a much cheaper (half price roughly) battery online from a variety of outfits selling knock-offs.  Look for one with a good return policy that doesn't nick you for shipping.   They usually do OK but have a much higher failure rate (they save money on QC...) so you may end up returning a lemon if you go that route.

Hope that's helpful.
Tromper

08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

CarefulRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
Thanks Tromper:

I am going to have to bite the bullet and get to work removing the plastic. I hate breaking plastic tabs, because I don't know in which direction to pull panels so that the tabs slide in the slots before the panel may be lifted up/off/out  >:(.

I'll get to it sooner than later  8). Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:04:50 AM by CarefulRider »

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
You get that figured out Careful?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

CarefulRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
Just for purposes of information, in July 17, I bought a YTX9-BS battery from eBay for $25.99.

While the scoot starts up right away, the volt meter registers no more than 12V before I press the start button. I think it should show more 'strength' than that.

It might be a function of an inexpensive battery. You get what you pay for  :'(.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
http://www.scooterunderground.ca/knowledge/Scooteror_Motorcycle_Battery_Maintenance.htm
Has a nifty chart for ya on that.
As noted previously the problem with buying a pre-filled battery is "How long has it been sitting"
My old chinese, but not prefilled battery I picked up locally for my HD finally failed after about 6 years (I use a float charger), & I did replace it (with the same noted above).  I was meaning to get to it since I knew it was old and losing power but it shorted itself with a resounding snap when I tried to start it the other day.  I actually checked all the relays and fuses in the engine compartment first before I did a load test and determined it was the battery since it read OK if not great while not under load or being charged.

You may want to nab a cheap multi-meter to get a better reading than the flash on your bike, which is probably just standard for the start up sequence.  https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html is what I have or close 'nuff (don't recall if I have the backlight or not).  Works OK and comes with a little instruction book.  Lots of How To vids and instructions on line for using them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:20:34 PM by Tromper »
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

CarefulRider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
Thanks much for the information:

My inexpensive $26 battery, only three months old, is registering 11.5V on the (flash) instrument gage of the scooter  :'(. This means that it is as close to unserviceable as can be  ::). I shall be surprised if it lasts past this winter  :(.

Pennywise, pound foolish  :-[

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
Well heck that's annoying.
A lot of the places that sell those have a pretty easy warranty so you do eventually get one that'll last a year or two.
Going to try to warranty it or get something else?

...My inexpensive $26 battery, only three months old, is registering 11.5V on the (flash) instrument gage of the scooter  :'(. This means that it is as close to unserviceable as can be  ::). I shall be surprised if it lasts past this winter  :(.

Pennywise, pound foolish  :-[

08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650