Author Topic: Steering Lock - wondering  (Read 250 times)

LisaRae

• View Profile
Steering Lock - wondering
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
Hi all,

Is it possible to unlock SYMBA's steering lock w/o a key?

In light of the recent theft-attempt on my SYMBA, I've noticed that the metal of the ignition/key-slot has some small gouges on it, as if someone has used a knife on it...

...and, several weeks ago, I did find a knife on the on the garage floor, beneath SYMBA...

LisaRae

HelloPitty

• View Profile
Re: Steering Lock - wondering
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
I think the steering locks on motorcycles can be broken and are not necessarily the most secure way to lock a bike.
Sadly, I don't know the answer to the best way to secure a bike because a determined thief will find a way around it, or mess up the bike greatly in trying to steal it.
The more locks, disc lock, ground lock with chain, etc. might deter someone looking for a quick, easy grab.
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

petemoss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:17:07 PM »
Hi all,

Is it possible to unlock SYMBA's steering lock w/o a key?

In light of the recent theft-attempt on my SYMBA, I've noticed that the metal of the ignition/key-slot has some small gouges on it, as if someone has used a knife on it...

...and, several weeks ago, I did find a knife on the on the garage floor, beneath SYMBA...

LisaRae

The steering lock can be picked or drilled easily enough, as it is not a high security type lock. Also it seems to be held in place by a pool pin, so quite possibly a large screwdriver could defeat it.

Noise is always a great deterrent for would be thieves. They don't want attention drawn to them at all. Amazon or most bike shops sell alarm locks ( locks that can be attached to the front brake disc, or a chain lock that can be put around the bikes frame or wheel and secured to an immovable object is best). The alarm lock will sound a very loud siren if anybody tries to move the bike. Unless your in a location where nobody would ever hear a loud shrieking alarm, this might be a good option for you. They are not that expensive either.
2015 Symba 100
2015 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Some past rides.....
2015 Haley Lowrider
2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500
2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Stom
2012 Harley Switchback converted to Trike
2006 Harley Streetglide
2014 Suzuki DR650 and much more

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
I'm leaning-toward a brake-lock, one which goes on the handlebar, since SYMBA does not have disc brakes. I saw one at a local cycle shop - I thought it was made by Kryptonite, but it's not on their site, so it must be made by some other company.

My parking spot is in underground parking, 2 levels below ground. That means that there's less traffic there, so I'm not sure about the usefulness of an alarm. There's no place to anchor SYMBA, either - the pillars are concrete and several feet thick, and my spot is not near a pillar. Folks do keep varied schedules; there's probably just enough vehicular traffic to prevent someone from finishing the job of hot-wiring.

Thanks, all, appreciate your suggestions and condolences!

LisaRae

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
Unfortunately steering column locks are not great against thieves. A quick kick to the handle bar and you can snap the pin. Best thing you can do is make it difficult. Brake lock and tire lock is very easy and cheap. I may look into the alarm that's a great idea! Put a sticker on your bike that says my bike has a video camera sending live stream to my phone at all times. The cops will love your mug shot. ;)
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!