Author Topic: Battery light means no charging?  (Read 521 times)

tryvelcro

• View Profile
Battery light means no charging?
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
The battery light on the dash has been on since I replaced the headlight (which was out when I bought the scooter on impulse from a kid going off to collage). I replaced it with a Sylvania H7. I read that the light & socket under the seat can be a cause of battery drain, but there's not even a fuse in for that.

Anyone have a recommendation on a starting point to fix this? I assume that it staying on means that I'm basically riding on battery power?  I was really looking forward to riding it with good weather finally here, but don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Thanks for any guidance y'all can give.

sunfish

• View Profile
Re: Battery light means no charging?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:01:07 AM »
I would check all the wire harness to make sure the the connections are tight. I Just checked the service manual and the seat light and the aux power in glove box and the dash light for seat not closed are all on the same circuit and is a 20 amp fuse.
Most likely a bad connection.
Minas man

tryvelcro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
I think I didn't word my question well, but it really doesn't matter at this point.

After watching some youtube videos, I got a multimeter* and checked the battery.  The scooter actually is running off the battery, the volts are dropping when started & under load.

I have read the manual but don't understand how to check the regulator (I SUCK at electrical, I don't understand the symbols & such).

Edit:  I also checked the fuse under the seat but it's fine, as are all the fuses in the glove box.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:58:09 PM by tryvelcro »

tryvelcro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »
I know I'm probably talking to myself, but oh well. It's a learning experience.

Watched some videos & tested the regulator, it was bad. Ordered a new one, installed it but the battery light remains on. The battery is NOT charging even with the RPM's up to 6k.

I checked the fuses in the glovebox & they're fine. Checked the fuse under the seat, it's fine.  Is there a buss fuse inline to the battery somewhere? I don't see one on the diagram.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.  As before, I don't understand the manual really so I'm having to piece information together as I go.

freddred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:18:05 AM »
you said you replaced the headlight , disconnect the head light turn all light switches to off position , start the scooter and see if the battery light goes off , could be fault in new head light ?
its just a guess hope this helps
regards
freddred

tryvelcro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
you said you replaced the headlight , disconnect the head light turn all light switches to off position , start the scooter and see if the battery light goes off , could be fault in new head light ?
its just a guess hope this helps
regards
freddred

Thanks for the response!  The battery light was coming on when there was no headlight bulb in at all, but it would go out until an electrical load was put on (i.e., blinker or brakes). I'm leaning towards the thought that it's the ac.g., but have not yet tested that far.

freddred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
Have you looked at the Sym GTS 250 Service Manual: Charging System

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »
Have you checked the regulator since replacing it? Wouldn't be the first time a bad regulator as installed.

tryvelcro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
I checked the new regulator before I put it in, but I have not checked it after because I was reading that if the stator is bad it can damage the regulator & I don't want to replace it again.

I have read the section on the charging system, and I'm now at the table & diagram on 17-7. I think (but I'm not positive) that it's telling me to check the yellow wires that go into the connector to the regulator, both with & without power.  Is this correct?

I honestly appreciate the help/suggestions, and as frustrating as it is I'm enjoying the learning process, so please forgive me if I am a little behind the curve.

motoflesh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 07:35:37 AM »
disconnect the 3 wiring connector (yellow wires) that comes from the engine block to the regulator... check each wire if it is grounded to earth (what is not good) measure the resistance between each yellow wire it should be about0,2-0,4 ohms
hope it help

tryvelcro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »
Put the new stator in over the weekend, that was definitely the problem.