Author Topic: SYMBA vandalized last night...  (Read 296 times)

LisaRae

• View Profile
SYMBA vandalized last night...
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
So, I got home a bit earlier than usual last night. Parked. Locked the steering, as always.

Headed down to my parking garage to go to work today, and discovered PIECES of the housing lying beside SYMBA...contacted the building managers, they'd already seen it, and took a photo.

I took more photos. Reassembled some of the plastic housing. Need to make a police report.

There is a small wire that's been clipped under the front red housing:

No brake light/rear light
No turn-signals
No horn

SYMBA will start with the kick-starter, but, when I turn/remove the key, she keeps running.

TG for "kill switches!"

On the "up" side, I've inherited a nice "hex wrench" set from the perp.

LisaRae

IB

• View Profile
Re: SYMBA vandalized last night...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
Dang this sucks! >:(  Hope you get it figured out soon.
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
That must be a terrible feeling.
I hope you get it sorted out. 
It could have been worse though, but still very upsetting for you.
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

Rhashad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
Bunch of punks! Hope you find those vandals and justice is served! Hard enough trying to find parts for the Symba as it is and when you do, most times it's expensive! >:(

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »
Police report is filed.  Drove over to my friend's,  using hand-signals, and then tried 3 places before we found wire terminals to fit SYMBA's connectors - needed 5, and found a 6-pk at an electronics place for $0.99.

Cut-off the other 3 wires,  and soldered the terminals onto the five wires...had to go out and buy a new soldering iron!

So far:

Still no panel lights, but they come on after kick-starting

Ditto for back tail light  and brake light, plus signals - at least they work!

Horn sounds pathetic - much quieter than before.

Signals work, BUT make a horrible sound - loud like a wounded duck (usual 'clicking sound' is gone)

Sigh. At least she's rideable, again.

LisaRae

LisaRae

• View Profile
Re: SYMBA vandalized last night...horn now LOUD, once again!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
So, I've been travelling (1 week Alaskan cruise), and recently ordered a new starter assembly from Cam at Scooterseals, thinking that Symba's problems lay in the fact that someone had taken a knife blade to the key slot...

Parts arrived in 5 days, and yesterday we swapped-out the starter assembly.  Not too tricky. But, same issues: strangled horn, and loudly squawking turn signals.

Rats!

Well, we started to follow wires...and checked the fuse (again)...and discovered that the fuse was blown. Popped in the spare...and we have LOUD horn, and properly functioning signals.

Starter is still 'toast'...but how did I even have any signals,  horn (plus properly functioning brake and taillight)?

Now to find some spare fuses around here...

Downside of the new key - the raised edge (as you hold the plastic head, and point the tip away from you) is on the rh side, and will not work on the helmet lock...so now I get to carry both the old and new keys...

LisaRae

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
Happy to read that you have the horn and signals working again!
Seems like your Symba is ready to give you more reliable miles.
2015 SYM Symba * 1981 Honda C70
1982 Honda CT110 * 2006 Vespa LX150
2008 Vespa GTS250 * 02/09 Honda Metropolitans

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
Thanks, HelloPitty!

I'll be MUCH happier with a good, LOUD, horn at my disposal,  once again!

It was interesting,  replacing the starter assembly - the steering lock-pin is large, long and robust (the diameter of the pin is 3/8")  - and the metal collar (into which the pin fits) is similarly sturdy. Someone suggested that a good kick to the handlebars could break the pin...I wonder if that's possible,  with this design!

I havenít bothered replacing the starter solenoid  - as kick-starting has to provide some antidote to thieves...

LisaRae