Author Topic: 2013 Sym Wolf - battery/electric start issues - help!  (Read 767 times)

Bensky

• View Profile
2013 Sym Wolf - battery/electric start issues - help!
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:16:39 AM »
Just bought my first bike today: a 2013 wolf with ~3k miles for $1700 from a private seller. The seller mentioned that he always kept it on a battery tender and didn't ride it much, and the bike appears to be in excellent condition overall.

In any case, the bike ran fine while I was testing it at the seller's house, but after driving it ~100 miles home, turning it off, turning it on, then coming back a few hours later to turn it on again: it no longer started using the electric start button. When I pressed the start button, I heard the starter motor turn over once or twice, but nothing happened. I tried this a couple times, and after a couple of attempts the starter motor seemed to not turn over at all anymore. I also noticed that when the key was turned to the "ON" position and I pressed the front brake lever, the lights dimmed. Finally, the horn did not go off. Conclusion: all of this makes me think that the battery is just old and using the battery tender gave it just enough juice to start and ride home, after which it died completely.

Interestingly, I was able to start the bike using the kick start, but the engine quickly died. Basically, if I kick started the bike and let it idle (with choke even), it would die within ~5-10 seconds and ran very rough (RPMs jumped all over the place). However, If I quickly I put it in first and rode around, it seemed to be fine until I slowed down to a stop, at which point it would die again.

I have a few questions:
1. Does this sound like a dead battery?
2. Which battery do you all recommend as a replacement?
3. How in the hell do I remove the side panel to check the battery? I feel like an idiot but I cannot figure it out probably because I'm really tired.

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:58:48 AM by Bensky »

IB

• View Profile
Re: 2013 Sym Wolf - battery/electric start issues - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
1. Most likely the battery.
2. I just took mine too a local dealer and told them to give me something that would fit, they handed me one for like $50.
3. Battery cover just pulls off. Two on top one on bottom.

Congrats on the wolf, and welcome!
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:11 AM »
buy a new battery!! :o
the cover has three tabs that you pull out of rubber fittings, pull the cover straight off or you might break off one of the tabs, like the above poster stated, two tabs on the top and one on the bottom of the cover, they are situated in a triangle, and you can pull each tab straight out one at a time if you are careful! don't break off the tabs! sometimes going to a dealer is not as convenient as is for others, here in the USA they is few and far between and parts availability is pretty much non existent!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:26:07 AM by BeebBobE »
Ride like a Klingon....

Bensky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:17:43 AM »
buy a new battery!! :o
the cover has three tabs that you pull out of rubber fittings, pull the cover straight off or you might break off one of the tabs, like the above poster stated, two tabs on the top and one on the bottom of the cover, they are situated in a triangle, and you can pull each tab straight out one at a time if you are careful! don't break off the tabs! sometimes going to a dealer is not as convenient as is for others, here in the USA they is few and far between and parts availability is pretty much non existent!

I was able to get the cover off and remove the old battery without breaking anything! Woohoo! Thanks.

The only issue I have now: I had to disconnect a tube that was connected to the underside of the battery. It looks like some sort of exhaust tube for the battery (I think it was labeled as "BATTERY BREATHER TUBE") as it feeds under the bike which is a bit strange. The replacement battery I'm looking at buying doesn't seem to have an opening for this tube to feed into (at least from the pictures) - do you know what the purpose of the tube is?

Here's the replacement battery I'm looking at: https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/yuasa/12n7a3a/cyla7lbsxta

EDIT: learning stuff about batteries now. Apparently this new battery is an "AGM" battery which means it's sealed and doesn't need an exhaust tube. Apparently this is safer/better? Will it matter if I don't use a wet cell battery on the sym?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:23:51 AM by Bensky »

IB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
Sealed batteries are better if you can to that route do it. Don't worry about the vent.
2017 Sym Wolf Classic

1986 Honda VF500F  Street fighter!

Bensky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:19:17 PM »
Sealed batteries are better if you can to that route do it. Don't worry about the vent.

Awesome, thanks.

As an update, the battery I ordered didn't fit, but I was able to return it and get my money back.

Based on some other forum posts by people swearing by the following battery, I bought one of these off Amazon and it's getting here tomorrow: http://shoraipower.com/lfx14l2-bs12-p78
I noticed that the lfx14a2 was the recommended battery by Shorai, however, the polarity was reversed so I figured I'd try one the above instead which has the correct polarity. Hopefully it works OK.

I'll post an update after I install it, assuming it's able to be installed...

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
There are batteries out there that fit length & height & polarity but are "too thick" by about 3/4".
You can easily use them by modifying the hold-down strap.
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

Bensky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
There are batteries out there that fit length & height & polarity but are "too thick" by about 3/4".
You can easily use them by modifying the hold-down strap.

There were several problems with the first battery I tried - too thick was one of them, the other was that the terminals were incorrectly sized and I didn't feel like fooling with it given I only have a basic set of tools and a limited amount of time to work on this stuff. Also, the battery  started falling apart when I took it out of the box, so there's that...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:15:25 AM by Bensky »

BeebBobE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:05:54 AM »
wire connectors and straps are easy to change or modify! just my 2 cents
Ride like a Klingon....

rick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »
I installed a WPS Lithium battery I had laying around and forced the battery belt to hold it in place and it did not break! WPS ended up being a piece of crap so I refilled old battery with distilled water and charged it overnight and the damned bike cranked right up! Although it turned on... soon after turning it on and off several times the dang battery is already dead again so I will probably buy a battery from OReilly auto parts for $39 and its agm and a bit thicker but it will hold because its the same size as the WPS one I had... So dont be scared about installing a fatter battery...

Bensky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Just as an update: got the Shorai installed and it works great! Highly recommended. I didn't need to charge it at all before installation. Also, I used pretty much all of the foam padding to get it to fit as the battery is tiny.

After getting the battery installed, I've been riding the bike around with almost no issues except for one thing: the bike always starts right up now, but seems to die when idling if it doesn't have a significant amount of choke (and sometimes even when it does)

I figure this could be due to the carbs needing a cleaning? Is there anything else I should check, maybe the idle speed adjustment (if there's a screw that lets me do that...?)?

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:21:31 PM by Bensky »

ktran

• View Profile
    • Suspended Seconds
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
A carbureted bike needs to be warmed up to operating temperature before it can be ridden off. The choke helps if your idle mixture is too lean at startup (because of cold components). It physically restricts air flow, making the starting mixture more rich (more fuel, less air). The choke isn't an on/off sort of deal. You have to find the right amount to get the bike to idle smoothly until it can run without choke.

In the summer, you should rarely/barely ever need choke, but in the shoulder seasons (fall/winter) it comes in handy.

All that said, carburetors almost always can do with a cleaning, since the passages are tiny, and it's easy for them to be clogged with bad fuel and dirt.

Just as an update: got the Shorai installed and it works great! Highly recommended. I didn't need to charge it at all before installation. Also, I used pretty much all of the foam padding to get it to fit as the battery is tiny.

After getting the battery installed, I've been riding the bike around with almost no issues except for one thing: the bike always starts right up now, but seems to die when idling if it doesn't have a significant amount of choke (and sometimes even when it does)

I figure this could be due to the carbs needing a cleaning? Is there anything else I should check, maybe the idle speed adjustment (if there's a screw that lets me do that...?)?

Thanks again

Bensky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 01:45:39 AM »
A carbureted bike needs to be warmed up to operating temperature before it can be ridden off. The choke helps if your idle mixture is too lean at startup (because of cold components). It physically restricts air flow, making the starting mixture more rich (more fuel, less air). The choke isn't an on/off sort of deal. You have to find the right amount to get the bike to idle smoothly until it can run without choke.

In the summer, you should rarely/barely ever need choke, but in the shoulder seasons (fall/winter) it comes in handy.

All that said, carburetors almost always can do with a cleaning, since the passages are tiny, and it's easy for them to be clogged with bad fuel and dirt.

Thanks again

Yeah, I live in Southern California and it's ~70-75 degrees year round, so that's why I think there might be something wrong with the carbs or fueling system. If I were in a cold climate, I'd expect to need the choke, but not around here.

I'll try to clean the carb jets and see what happens...