Author Topic: new to scootin  (Read 268 times)

jesse in cbus

• View Profile
new to scootin
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:41 PM »
i just bought my first scooter: a '12 hd200 evo with just under 6k miles on the motor.
the po said it had trouble starting, but every time i tried it fired up no problem. i tried maybe 4 times in 30 minutes time.
the only thing i could see wrong was the exhaust was rusted a bit. i believe the scoot lived outside with no cover during the riding season. paid $800
i got it for work; i plan delivering food via grubhub, uber eats, door dash, etc.
i figure i can spend $0.35/mi or $0.10 and get paid the same.
AND I GET TO RIDE
i got the phone mount/usb charger problem solved, but i'm still working on a top case that can hold a 19" pizza box. i know i'll have to build one myself and the best thing i can find on the internet is from a USM motorcyles in the UK (link-http://www.usmmotorcycles.co.uk/product/universal-delivery-box-carrier-for-fiberglass-and-corrugated-plastic-delivery-boxes/  )

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: new to scootin
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
Welcome to SYM World, Jesse. Good luck!

You have your motorcycle license, right?  ;D

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
Heck of a deal Jesse.
As noted by SYD, if ya ain't ever ridden before getting your license, preferably via an MSF course ain't a bad idea.
Of course, if you're an experienced rider you'll find it a light fun and maneuverable bike for in city, with the big wheels to make up for dubiously maintained urban roadways.

That is a nifty looking box; albeit it'll be interesting getting it mounted on the SYM.
The SYM factory rack can be a PITA to work with.
I wonder if it might not be best to pull the factory rack and jigger a way to install that directly.
You'd loose the extra flex in the mix so might wear the mount points a bit, but I don't think that'd be a huge issue if it was done right.

Please post pics fo what you come up with for that.

Shiny side up :)
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

jesse in cbus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
thanks guys! i have ridden motorcycles and dirt bikes but the last time i was on one was close to 15 years now. i rode it around the city yesterday, and it is a lot of fun but i realized i need to get more familiar and comfortable on the bike before i football season starts. i've got all summer i guess  ;D

ive already taken the rack off and taken measurements to build my own pizza rack.
i'm pretty much going to do my best to copy the usm model, hinge and all. i'll ride it over to the hardware store and see what i can come up with.
i forgot to mention that it has a blur windscreen on it as well. i need to take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
I always wanted one of the TGB Express delivery scoots, but couldn't ever find the 150 (which they don't make any more). Plus they are ugggly.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
I always wanted one of the TGB Express delivery scoots, but couldn't ever find the 150 (which they don't make any more). Plus they are ugggly.

Always liked those too.  An outfit or two around here have used the 50ccs for delivery.  If they'd had the 125 or 150 I'd have applied for a delivery job a day a week just for fun in the summer.

Definitely post some picks Jesse, heck a step by step of what ya did would be fun.  Always thought SYM missed the boat on that rack, & by not having a tray or glove compartment in the cockpit.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

jesse in cbus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
I've got it apart at the moment. the gas cap was giving me problems and I haven't even tried to fill up yet! decided to cut the neck and add a regular screw on cap like the thread in this forum. considering removing the PAIR system and evap.
is the stator DC or AC? I think I may need to upgrade since I will need to have my phone plugged in most of the time in riding.
I installed an led bulb but haven't ridden yet.
I changed the gear oil (I used 85w-140. gl-5 if that matters) and it looked like silver glitter paint.  :o    I do recall hearing a whine almost like a tornado siren winding down when off throttle. the first time I heard it I thought a fire truck was behind me. hopefully all it needs is a fresh 100cc's of gear oil and a loving owner.  changing gear oil and engine oil at the same time is easy and cheap insurance.
still working on the pizza box and rack. I think I'll need something for drinks and a port side saddle bag just might be the ticket.