Author Topic: I need help, scooter baffling everyone  (Read 229 times)

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
I need help, scooter baffling everyone
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
Been on the forum for some time with my 2012.  Almost 8000 miles. It's been uninsured for almost a year; I have had nothing but issues.  Here's my situation.
-Scooter fires right up.
-Runs, but won't take a lot of throttle at once. You must ease on for it to take fuel.
-It runs worse the hotter it gets. In 10 minutes of riding it gets to a point where it won't go above 30. The more fuel you give it, the more it sputters and behaves as if it isn't getting fuel.
-Compression test is perfect. This scooter has a new motor replaced under warranty after the first motor blew a head gasket due to the filler neck evap issue.
-Someone mentioned some sort of fix due to the surging related to the throttle cable. User Northpilot maybe? They did that and it still won't run right when it get's hot.
-New air filter, plug, carb is clean and needle has been opened up ever so slightly to see if it fixes it.
-The mechanic who runs a scooter shop who was trying to help me has done everything and has now thrown his hands up. The local SYM dealer was stumped and couldn't find any sort of solution and was charging me $75 an hour to troubleshoot.

I don't know what to do. The thing has a practically new motor that won't run and I no one will buy it (I have tried to sell it) because it runs so crappy.

Does anyone have any reasonable ideas on what I should do with this thing?
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I need help, scooter baffling everyone
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 04:50:15 PM »
Sounds to me like a bad choke/autostater.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
I know this is dumb, but actually sounds like water in the gas. That is exactly how it would act.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
Also, I know you have a mechanic, BUT
If the diaphram is bad, OR is not seated properly, you get EXACTLY those symptoms.

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:10 AM »
I know this is dumb, but actually sounds like water in the gas. That is exactly how it would act.
It has been drained and even hooked up to an external gas tank to rule that out.
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »
If the diaphram is bad, OR is not seated properly, you get EXACTLY those symptoms.
The carb is original and has almost 8000 miles on it. Would this be a reasonable thing to suspect?
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

RidingIsFun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
Sounds to me like a bad choke/autostater.
If I ordered a new one of these, how much would it be?
2012 HD200 Evo
Puig 992 Windscreen

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 12:46:25 PM »
The carb is original and has almost 8000 miles on it. Would this be a reasonable thing to suspect?

You mentioned it was taken apart, so YES. There are posts on this board about this issue, as well as other scooter sites. I had the same issue. The diaphragm distorts over time, and it almost impossible to seat properly. An air leak does what you describe. Use silicone grease to hold the edges down while you reseat it.

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »
It does sound like an induction air leak -- see Scosgt replies #3 and #7.  Also, make absolutely sure that the intake manifold is sealed tightly at both the carb end and cylinder end.  Try some high temperature silicone sealant.
2009 SYM HD200

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 04:06:11 AM »
I'll go with Scos.  That was part of the solution with my somewhat similar issue from what my mechanic mentioned.
It's a place to start and that does seem to be an issue that crops up on these.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650