Author Topic: Drive belt  (Read 287 times)

david23

• View Profile
Drive belt
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

This is david23 again this time I'm asking a couple of questions The 1st has to do with my 2015 SYM HD200 scooter The question is, when should I have the drive belt changed on this vehicle? I've gotten multiple answers, all very distinct obviously It makes me wonder if there is a definitive answer to this question or whether it's just a matter of the particular circumstances My scooter has just over 15,000 miles on it now, it runs just great My other question has to do with a bike I'm considering getting which would be a current year Yamaha WR250 I've never rode or owned a dual sport, but I've heard this is a pretty good bike, the only thing is I hate chains & the maintenance and worry that comes along with them so I was wondering if any of you guys or gals knew of any places in the Northern California area where they do conversions to belt drive or any places where they sell belt conversion kits? The other bike I own is a 2015 Suzuki Boulevard M109R and as you may know it's a shaft drive bike Very low maintenance I would appreciate your assistance, thanks a lot and for now have a good one
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:42:48 PM by david23 »

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Drive belt
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »
I'll wager most have changed their belts/rollers out long before you, and me, as it turns out. I just looked at my records and I changed my belt/rollers right at 16000mi. I did it because my top speed had dropped.  When I saw the old rollers, there was almost nothing but metal left.  :o

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:09 AM »
I change the belt at 5000 miles. A broken belt can seize your engine and can dump you off the bike. Pay the money

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
I changed out the one in the Blue HD around 6-7k as I recall, put in new rollers too.
I had the one the wife rides (more rarely) checked recently at ~6k and the (really good) mechanic said it was fine.
I may change that one proactively at some point simply due to the age of the bike  That one's ~7 years -8 years old at this point (sold as a 2010 but could easily be a 2009)  Rubber doesn't really improve with age as a rule.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650